“Excellent tour in beautiful places”

Colque Tours - Day Tours
Ranked #17 of 39 Tours in Uyuni
Broughton, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Excellent tour in beautiful places”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I feel really bad that some people have had bad experiences with Colque Tours, as my tour was absolutely excellent. I hope this is down to them learning from past bad reviews.

We were picked up and taken to the border where we met our guide (Saul) and the family we were sharing the jeep with. We had absolutely no problems with the transport - and Saul was an excellent guide. He stopped loads so we could take photos and was really informative. He was really keen to help us take good photos as well!

The accommodation is simple and cold, but we were expecting this and came prepared. The food was also basic, but very edible and after a day in a jeep entirely appreciated! Despite the cold, we had a good night sleep and the next day we were taken to Uyuni. Staying in Uyuni turned out to be good (some of the salt hotels are bad for the salar, we discovered), as we got up really early to see the sunrise. We even managed to change our programme as the family we were with didn't want to get up early. The guides let us switch jeeps so we could go.

The only negative thing was that on the second night at the hotel in Uyuni there were no vegetables or anything to drink at dinner. When we asked why we had glasses the lady just shrugged her head. I can only assume that this is because the cooking there had been left up to the hotel staff and not our guides, as the rest of our food on the trip was served with salad and drinks!

I really hope people read this review and give Colque Tours a chance - I had a fantastic time and would definitely recommend them!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Josie W

Tours, France
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“What a Joke...”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Definately cheaper and here is why: When we got to border crossing Colque had no jeep for 7 people so we had to go with some guy from another agency who had a 7 seater (bearing in mind his jeep was already having a few problems). To be fair the first day was fine, saw everything planned , the meals were good and the accomodation was as expected, simple and cold. The only problem here was that there were no sleeping bags for hire or oxygen bottle in jeep which was not what we'd been told. From this point it al went downhill: 2nd day we did not take the route we were supposed to so didnt see half the villages and our "guide" (just a driver) took us straight to uyuni to sleep in a hotel instead of sleeping in a salt hostal in the salaar... We were given at least 5 different excuses as to why we couldn't sleep in salaar. We were the ONLY tour who had to sleep in Uyuni (which btw is the biggest dump to put it politely).So ok we got a hotel instead with hot water: lies again. We were then asked if the next day we wanted to do sunrise on the salaar or not, of course we all said yes as we were already supposed to have done sunset, next scam: they cancelled our lunch because we did sunrise instead... NOT PART OF THE DEAL! I would like to add that 2 people on our tour booked the ride back to san pedro on 4th day and they had to go elsewhere to book transport because colque had no petrol or driver available to take them back.To top it all when we complained it was like talking to a brick wall,don't expect compensation they are liars, thieves and just a total joke...

Visited July 2012
6 Thank mel1637
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Good tour”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I really believe the reviews people wrote here, but I think it is just a matter of bad luck. I read these reviews the day before we left, and had already booked so got really scared when I read all this, but our trip was really good.
The only negative thing was that the driver did not speak a word of English and the other 4 tourists did not speak Spanisch = bad combination. Luckely we speak some Spanisch, but in general our driver did not speak a lot, except when we asked something.
The food was good, we only had one flat tire, the hotels were good, ... Nothing to complain about

Visited June 2012
2 Thank steviedrien
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Colquey run their own show and don't care about the paying guests.”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We booked a tour for my husband and I for 4 days. In that time we had 6 changes of vehicle and an attempt by them to change our itinerary to stay at a hotel owned by the company which would have meant an 8 hour drive the last day instead of splitting the travel. They did not provide photo stops unless you really forced the issue (ie opened the door) and the vehicles were second rate. (cloudy windows you could not see through, no seat belts and no help with getting luggage in and out of the car (6 times). One Colquey driver stole the mobile phone of a young traveller who we came across while she was walking on the salt flats and people confirmed he was seen with it and had sold it. The agency in San Pedro
told us totally incorrect things about the availability of Bolivianos. We had a guide who could speak English but was completely unbriefed by the company and really had no idea..which was not her fault. Nonetheless by being bolshy, sticking to our guns and not putting up with
Their attempts to defray costs we managed and saw some wonderful things.

Visited March 2012
6 Thank RovingTori
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good... thats all”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I used Colque tours and yes they were cheap, in fact significantly cheaper than anyone else, and if I wanted better service I would have paid more?
The jeep we were in was very old but it did the job, the driver could speak NO English but to be honest were in foreign country so it is up to us to learn the language.
We saw 90% of what we had planned to do.
I would however like to add that my heart goes out to people that suffered immense harm whilst using this company I hope that Colque have learned from those errors and gave better service (like they did with me and my group)

Visited May 2011