“It's more than just red, you know!”
Review of Laguna Colorada

Laguna Colorada
Ranked #1 of 18 Outdoor Activities in Uyuni
Cork, Ireland
143 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 155 helpful votes
“It's more than just red, you know!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Laguna Colorado is just one of about 10 lagoons you will see on the 3- or 4-day tours out of Uyuni or San Pedro de Atacama. This is the biggest one and contains areas of dark red water, said to be coloured by a special form of plankton. In June, there were also pools of green water and also dark blue. Many of these pools were highlighted by the white borax deposits found all around the lake. There are also hot springs and geysers of steam in some areas. It would be most unusual not to see many flamingos at this time of year. Because this is a busy lagoon with numerous photo opportunities, it is worthwhile persuading your driver/guide to spend some time here as it is possible to approach the lagoon from many directions to see it's many features and patterns of light.
There are also basic facilities near the hostel. When I say basic, - I mean basic!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Bernard C

• Korean first
Costa Mesa, CA
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Awesome views”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

At the mirador you get the best possible views of the red lagoon. Surreal. Very beautiful. Dress warm as it can be cold and windy in the winter. Don't miss the green lagoon - a bit of a drive but worth it.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank FrankTibackx
New York
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Fiery red in the late afternoon”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Sitting by the red lagoon in the late afternoon when the color of the water is truly red in appearance was a wonderful experience. We spent nearly an hour photographing the flamingos and subsequently, the llamas who wandered down to the water's edge to munch on the plankton. Definitely an "otherworldly" sight.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank manhattanmom
Geneva, Switzerland
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Not as red..”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We arrived easy in the morning, and found the lake completely frozen! we returned a few hours later, lake was "muddish" color rather than the red lake we expected..but this is nature..so one can never really determine the right time..

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Adelaida Gigi P
Penang Island, Malaysia
311 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 798 helpful votes
“Not up to expectations”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Perhaps because I was cold (I didn’t rug up properly), or perhaps because it was late in the day (I was getting very tired), or maybe it was the overcast weather that caused the lake to give us less color, I’m not sure, but I definitely can’t call this stop the highlight of my 4 day tour. It was day two of the tour that started in Tupiza, and my mind was already blown away with all the spectacular landscape we had experienced in Tupiza, and some of what I would describe as the more spectacular lakes we had seen that day. Perhaps I had become blaze, but some of the photos came out OK … you can see them below.

Visited January 2014