“So relaxing!”

Mahatu Guest House & Hostel
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights after crossing the border to Leticia. It's a little far from center of town, but if you're looking for something peaceful and quiet then it's worth it. There's a mini lake on the property with free use of a canoe. There's a pool and several hammocks for lounging. There's no breakfast, but there's a communal kitchen. Supposedly there's wifi, although I could not find a network (it worked for 2 other guests though?). There was a good mix of families and other backpackers... I'd recommend it if you're looking to relax!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank nomad1405

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Gustavo the owner was always willing to help us fill our day or night. He arrived at the airport to collect us. Gave great advice and was a world of knowledge when it came to everything amazonian. Also one night we had drove to Brazil in search for a festival when we found out that the festival was over the taxi driver called Gustavo and he pointed the taxi driver in the right direction for a party and we all had a fun night in the end.
The cleaner sandra was also very sweet and hard working, makes great juices and coffee and is always there to help.
The grounds were lovely and far enough away from the town to relax although still walking distance.
First of all you really dont need wifi in the amazon and secondly there are many ways to get around. I am sorry to hear some peoples here weren't as refreshing as my own, although with out meaning any offence I think sometimes people forget hostels are not Hotels.
Some people just don't understand that running a hostel of that size solo would be time consuming, why shouldn't the owners have a life or ride to the store every now and then to get supplies. When I stayed there is always staff there to help if he is not and the kitchen is predominately the responsibility of the guest in most hostels so you must respect that.
I really enjoyed my stay there and the owner is the main reason my friends and I got the most out of the amazon.
I hope people are not deterred by some of the negative reviews, although everyone has a different experience I hope you go there on a whim and had the same fun I did!

Room Tip: The dorms have an ensuite, clean and comfortable in size
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Gustavo, the owner, did pick us up at the airport, which was great-- I can't remember if I confirmed ahead of time, but I do know that I was pleasantly surprised that he was there. Otherwise, he wasn't around much (one time he was, and I told him that I was having trouble unlocking the door to my room, and he responded that I should keep trying, and to shake it. Odd. Maybe 5-10 minutes later he walked by again, saw that I was still having trouble, and only then did he help me). Otherwise, pleasant, and rooms and bathroom were clean (kitchen & refrigerator had lots of bugs-- gross. I wouldn't want to cook in there).

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Another Lonely Planet recommendation that fell below my expectations. The owner is both intellectual and shrewd business man without much interest in his guests. He misrepresents his business by claiming on his website and hostel booking sites that Mahatu offers free bicycles and wifi to guests, neither of which are available. “But I have a lake” he told me, as if that compensated for the lie. His hostel is always full.

I also felt ripped off. I’d emailed him one day in advance to tell him I was coming and although he’d answered my email he did not make a reservation for me. Other guests who’d reserved through hostelworld he reserved beds for. So when I arrived with 4 other guys and there was not enough room for all because of the hostelworld reservations, it was I who was at a loss. In most cases, sending an email to let the owner of a hostel know you’re coming constitutes as a reservation…

I and another girl were given space upstairs on a stilled hut, where I hung my hammock and another hammock was arranged for her. The owner did not mind charging us the cost of a bed in the dorm room even though we have no light in our space and I am using my own hammock. I did like the space upstairs where I hung my hammock because of the fresh air; the dorm rooms are extremely stuffy and even the fans that are on there all the time do not make the air any less dense. Furthermore, there is no book exchange and no music ever plays on the patio.

There are so many other places you can stay in and outside of Leticia. Check out KM 11...lots of great accommodation there.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank strallkiksh85
Reviewed 13 June 2011

These place is really good! It is located on the border with Brazil, a little bit aside from noisy Leticia, and has really big territory. It's like an oasis in the outskirts of the town!
Gustavo, the owner, is a very pleasant man, he also offered us a local guide from whom we've bought a 2-day tour to Zacambu, really cheap one in comparison with the others.
The only minus that was that we leaved in a dorm, but it was fonly oursm 8 beds for two) I'm not sure if there are privates there.
Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Try to contact Gustavo and ask
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blackemcee
Reviewed 12 November 2010

So i stayed for 3 nights, met Gustavo and his cute cleaner girl :p, and yes Gustavo is slightly eccentric but in a good way. He organised a trip to the jungle for us and we checked the prices of every other tour organiser in the area, and Mahatu was by far the cheapest. The trip they organised was perfect and one of the highlights of my 6 month adventure.

Gustavo organised transport there and back and was waiting for us on the side of the amazon for our return. Brilliant service, couldn't of asked for more.

Mahatu is a backpackers hostel and is not to be confused for a **** hotel, and you get exactly what you pay for plus a bit more.

My only complaint was that it was a cold at night, but i was told that it was bad timing on our part as the weather is generally hot all year round and we got there during some freak weather.

The scenery in the premises is lovely, and theyres a couple of the cutest dogs you'll ever meet.

They've even got a football goal!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank flashmc
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Highly Recommended! Gustavo is a great host at the Mahatu Guest House in Leticia. The hotel has recently moved down the street to 1-40 Calle 7. The hotel is now located on a very large expanse of land with a huge patio overlooking a very nice pond - perfect for a late afternoon chill. The gardens on the property, including many fruit trees, are also very nice. Gustavo will help you arrange any kind of trip you want in the jungle and knows many very good people in the area. There is also a small pool with a nice bar (in the process of being built) coming off the patio. You can wash your clothes in the huge water basins or have the hotel do your laundry for you. I stayed at Mahatu for a week and loved it.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo