“whale and manta ray swim”
Review of Whale Discoveries

Whale Discoveries
More attraction details
Owner description: Whale Discoveries is based at Nomuka Island Ha'apai Tonga and is a watersports and activities company specialising in package trips for humpback whalewatching/snorkeling, Tofua volcano treking, kitesurfing ,surfing , stand up paddleboarding, Kayaking, scuba diving, free diving and more. Come and join former 3 times Australian wave sailing champion Dave Sheen and crew for a most memorable adventure in Tonga! Our vessels are both perfect platforms for ocean based activities with safety, stability and comfort number one.
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Our family had a great time with David and Tris. I did 3 days of whale watching and the rest of the family did 2 days. We saw lots of whales on the surface, got close to a couple in the water, listened to the whales singing, had an awesome swim with the manta's, picnic lunch on a remote island and got to look at an island with incredible bird life. I talked to David prior to our trip about some of the things we wanted to do and he accommodated us well. We enjoyed his Protector RIB boat and we were fortunate to ride on has Catamaran also. David recommends 3 days of whale watching and I would agree as there are lots of aspects to watch and see and it takes 3 days to feel you have experienced everything the whales have is to offer plus a few other bonus activities to break up the days

1  Thank Tony M

Reviewed 19 November 2011

That video sums it up. Fantastic trip, very knowledgeable guide, great spirits despite the rain. We swam with 2 sub-adults for over an hour and later (we were dropped off) the trip bumped into a mother and calf. Amazing.

Best part about Whale Discoveries was how attentive the guide was to what his guests wanted. Despite it being a great trip to view whales, he let us get the best view!

Please note that they are way better than Fins 'n Flukes (see my review on their TripAdvisor) page.

1  Thank raftman10
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Truly a breathtaking experience - if it's not on your bucket list it should be. And if I can do it anyone can - I'm not a strong swimmer or experienced snorkeller, but to my surprise I soon learned to be comfortable swimming in deep ocean and watching the humpback whale mothers and calves - amazingly close yet gentle and safe. Dave and Tristin's sensitive and very professional leadership ensured a top experience - with excellent boats and swim gear, friendly Tongan crew, and tasty lunches topped off with fresh coconut milk.
Whales don't follow a timetable so be prepared to spend a few days on the water - every day was different and all were well worth it. And if you really don't dig swimming you can watch whale action from the boat.
Matafonua Lodge on the northern tip of Foa Island is a perfect, relaxed and intimate to stay nearby. Say g'day to Darren and Nina and the staff from Peggy and Simon! And to the whales!!

3  Thank Simon F
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We had a great time with David and Tris at Whale Discoveries. We had two days out for a whale swim, one on their catamaran and one on their zodiac. Both days were fantastic, David and Tris were super welcoming and very knowledgeable.

If you want to do a great whale swim and don't want to be in Vava'u, this is the place to be, great beaches, lots of whales and the hosts are fantastic. We will certainly be back.

2  Thank radarinoz
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Well worth doing. Tris took us out - she was knowledgeable and interesting. Spent time with a mother and calf (whales, I'm talking) while there was a boat-ful of us. After we dropped the others off at their next resort, we thought we'd have a quiet trip back to base with Tris, but had the bonus delight of a couple of whales coming over to play for 10 mins! - we didn't swim with them then, just watched them around the boat.

I am still unsure whether its potentially disruptive to swim with a mother and calf (there don't seem to be any options now to go on a trip which is only whale-watching, as opposed to swimming) but was at least reassured that Whale Discoveries does follow the Tongan whale watching guidelines.

I don't know how this compares with Vava'u whale-watching - we went on to Vava'u after this, but having already had such a good whale experience on Ha'apai, with no other boats in sight, I felt we'd done well enough.