“Relaxing paradise”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Espiritu Santo
Brisbane, Australia
“Relaxing paradise”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Just had 5 days at Lope Lope and it is paradise. Bungalow (Nakatambul) was so beautiful - had all that we needed and was so private and special. View is spectacular. Staff were amazing...big thanks to Jenina Christa Bisend and Jeannot and chef Steve for beautiful, delicious meals.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
LopeLope, General Manager at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Hi Michelle

Thanks for the great review - so much appreciated by everyone... and no you are not allowed to steal Steve to become your private chef - lol!!!

The staff say thank you for mentioning them online and yes you guys got the double-thumbs-up smiling faces!

Enjoy your further travels & see you back soon :)

The Lope Lope Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was our second holiday at Lope Lope. First time we went there two years ago and we liked it so much we went back this year again. We would not stay anywhere else on Santo, we went around the other resorts but nothing compares with Lope Lope. Accommodation, privacy, location, friendly staff are all excellent.

I would like to send a special thank you to Donna and Emmy for finding my lost diamond ring and to Mathilda (Colin's sister) for taking the time to send it to me. This shows the unequal character, honesty and quality of the management and staff at Lope Lope.

Also would like to thank you Christy, Beasen, Jenine, Charity, Tony, Steve (for the wonderful chicken schnitzel) and all the nice, super helpful and friendly staff at the restaurant, thank you Emmy for cleaning our room and doing the laundry. Sorry I cannot mention everybody by name but we thank you all, you all are very nice and looking forward seeing you all next time.

Was very nice to see you again Ritana and Collin (you were very funny at New Year's Party).

We had a wonderful time, you can do nothing all day or be busy as you want to. We swam at all hours in the beautiful worm sea, we went to Ice Island one day where we did a lot of snorkeling - thank you Fabritzio for taking us there with your boat. Thank you Megan for the beautiful time spent horse riding around the villages and coconat plantations and riding back through the water, what an experience.

The cave exploration is recommended only to very fit people, it's very challenging but something to remember.

I can go on and on with all the wonderful things we experienced but best if you go and see it for yourself and defenetelly we would not stay anywhere else in Santo but Lope Lope.

Special thanks again to Donna (the manager of Lope Lope) for everything and putting up with all our requests, you are very funny and we enjoyed our conversations.

Elena
Sydney
January 2014

Room Tip: Any room is excellent
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elena T
LopeLope, Owner at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hi Elena

Thank you so much for the great review!

Yes, it was good to see you guys again, and the mere fact that you came back to Lope Lope again simply proves a point I guess... you guys are a lovely couple and the staff really enjoyed your company once again.

The jewelry... yes, our staff are honest and respect the guests belongings like there own. You can imagine how tempting it would be anywhere in the world for someone to find a diamond ring - and return it. So this makes me even more proud of them and I told them so!

Well, you well described Lope just like it is... do as little or as much, but as you also know we always encourage our guests to get out and about and see more of Santo, as it is such a beautiful island.

Anyway - thanks again for your review, and yes you got the usual "smiles, hand clapping and double thumbs" up from our staff - they also asked me to convey their heartfelt thanks for appreciating all their efforts, however small it may be.

Donna says hi and a big hug!

Cheers - until next time :)

A Happy, Smiling Lope Lope Team!
Glass House Mountains, Australia
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We were fortunate enough to spend 7 nights at Lope Lope Lodge recently and I have to say it was the highlight of our 3 week trip around Vanuatu. The Bungalows are great, very roomy, private and clean with mini bar, wifi, stereo & dvd player (no TV channels). Emmie, Nellie & Lidia do a great job of keeping the bungalows clean and stocked with all requirements daily and will happily work around your schedule to ensure they get their job done with no interruption to you.

No request was too hard or difficult to have fulfilled by the staff and the staff love to share stories with you so I highly recommend you making the effort to sit down and have a chat with them..... Donna, the manager picked us up from the airport and filled us in on the local culture, people, things to do etc and made a point of coming and seeing all guests each day to see if we needed any information, had any concerns etc which I found a great hands on service from a manager that really personalised our stay - your lucky to normally ever see a manager so we found it a nice touch.

A high recommendation for the restaurant - to all the kitchen staff, Steve, Albertine, Lilian, Lucienne & Pedro - every meal we had was fantastic - the only thing I would say here is that you should let your staff know, prior to service, what meals aren't available - we ordered meals on several occasions to be told later that it wasnt available so it would be good to be advised of that when menus were being handed out. Everything you have heard about Santo beef is true... it is to DIE for! We had the fillet steak with the mushroom sauce (which also was the best mushroom sauce I have ever had). It was cooked perfectly and we personally thanked the kitchen staff for this impeccable meal which they were really appreciative of.....

The bar staff are super friendly and helpful and all great fun. We spent a lot of time talking to them, asking about their families, culture etc and they were all happy to share their stories with us. There were no hire cars available on the days we wanted to do some exploring around the island however the staff came to the rescue again and were able to organise a car for us through their family - we did the entire length of the East Coast Road and certainly saw some hilarious and interesting things that you would never see anywhere else in the world.... I would highly recommend Nanda's Blue Hole, Velit Bay & Port Olry for a visit. So to Janod, Bisend, Jenina, Christie, Tony (the trouble maker!) & Charity a huge thank you from us for making our stay with you fun and memorable and we are looking forward to seeing all of you again soon.

We also spent a day out on the water with Fabrice in his boat (boat is anchored at Lope Lope). While the water temperature was no good for fishing, Fabrice took us to a fantastic reef where we snorkelled for a few hours, we then got dropped off on an inhabited island for a picnic lunch, more swimming and snorkelling and tried our luck with some fishing but Fabrice was right - no fish around at the moment...... Fabrice arrived back at the designated time and then took us to Turtle Bay to see some turtles and dugongs, we did see several turtles however no dugongs on our day out. I would highly recommend a trip with Fabrice, he has a huge amount of local knowledge and really makes a great day out and will happily tailor the day to suit your requirements.

We were at Lope Lope for New Years Eve which was a great night, Andre, and all the staff (plus several ring ins) spent hours getting the restaurant and grounds ready for the celebrations - they covered the bar floor with sand, put up decorations, coconut trees, palm fronds, banana leaves etc everywhere and the place looked great for their beach theme party, including a big bon fire on the beach and fireworks. Colin the owner had a great time painting faces with zinc and dancing on the bar to bring in the new year, and his birthday, luckily Sam & Walter, the security guards, were on hand to keep him under control throughout the evening. Colin even committed to a payrise for Donna and put it in writing on Donna's forehead so I hope you have been true to your word Colin.......

Friday night pool comp is a great night to be at Lope Lope as well, lots of fun, meet some locals and even the chance to win some money if your good enough.....

It is somewhere that you can do as much or as little as you like, there is horse riding, paint ball, hobie cats, kayaks, snorkelling etc all available and there is also a blue lagoon on the property which is beautiful for a swim.

Sadly our trip had to come to an end and we were taken back to the airport by Ronald - all guests at Lope Lope Lodge get transfers to and from airport provided by Lope Lope which again is another nice personal touch.

We will definitely be back to stay at Lope Lope, I would recommend it to anyone going to Santo Island.

Tank yu tumas, stap sef, Lukim yu i no longtaem.

Kate and Gary (aka Eron, aka Kerry, aka Cary.....)

Room Tip: 4 Bungalows to choose from - we stayed in Natapoa which was fantastic - as far as I know all bungalo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katemb10
LopeLope, Owner at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Hey you two... or must I say "Hey Eron & Kerry" - lol!!!

It was so funny when the staff mixed up your names... as you know all our staff always know all our guests by name, but they still laugh about this incident - especially when the owner also thought you were "Eron & Kerry".

You should take up a career in reviewing resorts as this review is nothing short of comprehensive and filled with things other travelers would need to know and look forward to when visiting Lope Lope - we give you a 9.5 out of 10 for this review!

Why not 10/10...? Mmmmm, well you coaxed the owner into Donna's pay rise - cheeky - but so much fun... especially on NY eve when you forced the owner to write PR on her forehead... and that in zinc!!

And yes... NY Party's at Lope Lope is something to experience, especially the way it is decorated... but I also heard that you guys promised to help remove the sand but then had some "lame excuse" about "checking out & going home" and then ducked? Ha ha - had to get you back on this one!!

The staff absolutely loved you and you DID get the "miles and miles of genuine smiles", laughter, chit chat etc and everyone asked us to please thank you for acknowledging them by name for their efforts... it is so important to them as they so so pride themselves in their work!!

Well I guess i cannot write as long a reply as your review, but know that your review means the world to everyone... this is exactly what everyone over here strives for with every guest.

So a heart felt thanks!

See you back some time soon :)

A Happy & Smiling Lope Lope Team!
"Ps - hugs from the staff!"
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was really looking forward to my stay at Lope Lope, but from the moment Donna (manager?) picked me up I had a bad feeling. All she did was complain to me about her staff not showing up for work, the local village people trespassing, and how much work she had to do and how tired she was. I'm sorry, but if I'm paying you $400+ a night I really don't need to hear about all your troubles, it's really very unprofessional. Call a friend and have a whinge, don't do it to your customers. Unfortunately her attitude continued throughout my stay, constantly complaining about how tired she was, how much noise the village people next door were making, the list goes on.

I thought maybe it was just Donna, but unfortunately it was also the owner (Colin?) as well. He had a good whinge about previous customers and complained about the things other customers have said or done in the past, he also snapped at one of the waitstaff in the restaurant in front of me.

I really think like the management of this lodge dislike their jobs, their customers, their staff, and the local village people. I have no idea what they are doing in hospitality but they are extraordinarily amateurish.

I would like to say that all the other staff - cleaners, waiters, bar staff, kitchen staff and gardeners were all really lovely people and really know how to look after you and I would like to thank them for that. I feel very sorry for them having such bad employers.

The bungalows are quite nice, not really 5 star (probably need some renovation and better cleaning to make 5 star), but lovely balconies with hammocks overlooking your own little patch of private beach where you can walk out into the water. It's a very peaceful spot where I spent lots of time lazing in the hammock looking out to the water. The restaurant is average quality, but very overpriced. Location isn't bad, but if you want to head into town it's a 15 minute taxi ride away, so a little inconvenient.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank JannH2
LopeLope, Owner at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Hi

I am totally bewildered that we get all these great/fantastic reviews and someone comes out with a review like this that is, in my opinion, rather childlike and outright derogatory especially when attacking people personally. Does it not occur to you that by naming people in a derogatory way via public media for the world to see can upset and worry their families and friends...?

I will do my best to address this as I feel your review is definitely filled with exaggeration - I am not prepared for someone to personally attack my staff, myself and a great and positive business via public media, especially when based on their own misconception or misconstrued opinions.

I suggest that if you were disgruntled about something; to have spoken, out of courtesy, to the manager or myself re the situation rather than take your personal problem out on a successful and happy business online & trying to influence future travelers!

I, the owner have an incredible and really great relationship with all customers and staff; staff that have been here since opening day (talk about staff "retention").

I have never and will never "snap" at staff... perhaps you are referring to the jokes me and the staff share all the time. Example. "Bissend, hurry up!" - this is a typical joke all the staff share with each other all the time and also back to the both me and management. This "Hurry up!" saying is as common as they come in Vanuatu and in Bislama (the local language) - it is part of how they talk & joke with each other... possibly a misinterpreted and misconstrued fact on your part with not knowing the "Kustam" (Custom) and Culture of our Ni Vanuatu people. We love to laugh and joke about so much... we are happy as voted on line as the "Happiest Country".

I have spent a massive amount of time, money, blood, sweat and tears in this business. I would not treat customers and staff in such a manner as stated in your review! That would be detrimental to my own business and against my personality and integrity.

Reviews, past and present sing accolades re managers, owners and staff. Personal, derogatory statements are unfair to them and future travelers.

The two reviews above yours were staying with us at the exact same time as you, so I find it hard to justify the total disharmony of your stay.

Thank you for saying the staff are "lovely people" which they really are, and the few other positive things you had to say regarding Lope Lope.

The rest my friend is simply not true and you did get the "double thumbs down" from all the staff when they read your review!

I trust your further travels will be full of good intentions and fantastic experiences. Remember that we all make our own holidays unforgettable... happy or sad!

Regards

The Lope Lope Owners, Management & Staff
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I have just returned from a week at Lope Lope – in our travels I have been fortunate to visit a number of South Pacific resorts and found everything at Lope Lope of exceptionally high standards.

From the moment I landed I felt welcome, from being collected by friendly staff to having a cold beer in hand 15 mins later – certainly a way to start a holiday. Nothing I needed was ever a problem.

The architecture of the main restaurant /sports bar is exquisite, overlooking crystal clear water and neighbouring islands.

The bungalows are very private – again absolutely stunning, with very high standards throughout.

The choice of activities was incredible, I spent time lazing in a hammock, snorkelling directly in front of the bungalows, kayaking, riding a hobie cat. On the list for next time is enjoying some offshore fishing. All of this in the midst of incredible scenery while being waited upon by the friendliest people in the world.

Also all of the meals were of impeccable quality.

Certainly looking forward to my next trip in a few months time.

Room Tip: From what I saw all appeared great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Barry D
LopeLope, Owner at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Hey Mate

What a great review... you pretty much painted the picture the way it really is here at Lope Lope!

Much appreciated by everyone - and of course you are right - staff are great and very friendly... just the way it is when they are happy in their jobs :) - and they do strive to get better each time.

See you back in Feb!

The Lope Lope Lodge Smiling Team
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We had to move to Lope Lope at some point because Oyster Island was closing down for a wedding. What a great place. The bungalows are the most spacious and the best I've ever stayed at. Working wifi (!). A nice deck with a hammock. Didn't need anything else. It's a nice stretch of the beach and there are only four bungalows. All in all I would say a perfect place in a tropical location, but with all the Western amenities.

The South African owner was super friendly and relaxed.

Food was the best we had in Vanuatu -- go for the amazing coconut crab!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lifou T
LopeLope, General Manager at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Hi There!

Being a well traveled person like you are - (in light of how many reviews you already have done all over the world) - this review means a great deal to us & probably to any future guests staying at our beautiful resort...

Thanks - it is well appreciated by all... staff loved you guys and you got the "smiley double thumbs up" when we read them your review!

Enjoy the rest of your travels & hope to see you back in our slice of paradise :)

Cheers
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

What a place! Our party of seven stayed at Lope Lope for four nights at the beginning of October. We arrived after an awesome week unwinding at Le Lagon in Port Vila - a good resort for those with small kids with lots of activities. We weren't sure the children would enjoy a quieter smaller resort like Lope Lope.We needed have worried - Lope Lope far exceeded our expectations! and we were struck by the contrast between Efate and Santo. Santo is perfect. Lope Lope Adventure Lodge could not have been better. An ideal location - 4 luxurious bungalows on the edge of a sapphire blue lagoon. Each bungalow is shielded from the other by natural vegetation with beautiful wooden walkways. As there are only 4 bungalows and the sportsbar with great restaurant ( the potjiekos was a family favourite ), we felt as if we had the whole place to ourselves. Staff were fantastic - nothing was too much trouble and we had the best holiday - I will definitely return, hopefully for a longer stay - highlights were snorkeling on the reef out the front of the resort , sailing a hobie cat in a perfect 18 knots across the sea strait to a nearby island ,horseriding on the beach, close encounters with dugongs, swimming in nearby blue holes and visiting champagne beach. The personal attention shown by the many wonderful staff was unsurpassed. Colin is to be congratulated on his resort - he has developed a perfect place to escape to , and has surrounded himself with staff that have been handpicked over the years to ensure visitors leave with great memories of a perfect place. Thank you all. A special mention to Donna, Jenina, Julie and Bissent. My children ask me every day when we are going back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
LopeLope, Owner at Lope Lope Lodge, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hi Guys... all of you!

Thanks for a wonderful review... you have highlighted what matters to other travelers, but most importantly gave all our staff a renewed inspiration to strive for the best personal service one can imagine! They all say tx.... and yes this review got all the smiles, laughter and hand clapping when it was read out to them :)

Your whole family was an absolute pleasure to have at Lope and all enjoyed making it special for you.

I know you will be back to experience the "Magic of Santo & Lope Lope Lodge"!

C u soon...