“Great dive operator”

Allan Power Dive Tours
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We really enjoyed diving with Allen Power Dive Tours. They manage to get the balance right between the fun and serious side of diving. We dived the Coolidge with AP for 5 days and were lucky enough on two of these days to be the only divers. Our guide Rex, who took care of us all 5 days was professional but still relaxed and fun. He seemed to really know the wreck and despite only diving the Coolidge, each dive was different and interesting. We had our own gear so cant comment on the hire gear. Take the opportunity to have buns and coffee with Allen, Yvonne and the boys after the first dive of the day. As well as being one of the most lovely people we have met, Yvonne is also full of great stories about the Coolidge. We would not hesitate to recommend AP and would dive with them again if we return to Santo

All reviews
"medical supplies"
"flashlight fish"
"an amazing experience"

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was just an amazing experience to dive this wreck. It´s so huge and it´s an amazing feeling if you can swim trough all the halls, watch all the things that were left there and see the famous Lady. It´s a different dive then a standard diving even when I dived a wreck before, I´ve never seen something similar in my life, it´s not about the underwater animals that you meet there even though there´s a nice coral what you can watch on the way to the wreck and back, and you see not only some normal fish in the wreck but there´s also the lightning flashing fish in the dark corner of the wreck, but it´s above all about the impressive feeling that you have when you swam trough it and see how huge it is, it´s not scary it´s just impressive. The feeling when you witnessed all the stuff left there, bombs, helmets, guns, a row of toilets, plates, medicine ... you can even look on yourself in a mirror when you are 40 m deep. And there´s the famous Lady a real underwater treasure. The dive centre is just so professional for such a good prices. It was an honour to meet Allan and see a true legend of Coolidge. All the guys that work in the dive centre are so friendly and helpful. Our guide David was just so professional, funny and friendly that we couldn´t have been more satisfied, he provided us the best service, shoved us all the tops of the wreck and we felt very safe, what is one of the most important things about diving and especially if you dive in 40 m and swim trough a dark wreck. I highly recommend to every diver to go to Allan and dive the wreck with them, it´s a must if you are travelling around this area.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Perhaps I had too high expectations. I had read Allan has done 28k dives of the Coolidge, so I thought he would be keen to share his passion with the public. Well he certainly should not be in customer service! I couldn't believe the grumpy van driver was the diving legend?! Very disappointed. Never seen such an old group of expat dive masters (60+) - a nice change from the stereotypical DM. But unfortunately I felt like they were all grumpy school teachers eager to be done with us. We ended up with a local DM who was pleasant but minimal English. Learnt nothing and zero customer service from the expat team. Really really disappointed.

Also dived with Aquamarine (warning do your research - we had an ok night dive but apparently they have no insurance and lost their PADI certification as a diver was killed last year)and Coral Quays d(Tutuba reef) Go with Coral Quays - much more pleasant bunch and much more professional.

The wreck itself was also so so in my opinion (have dived in 40 countries) - much preferred the Thistlegorm. Plus visibility was average. Preferred it as a night dive. So I guess I would be grumpy too if I had to dive the same average spot 28k times ;)

2  Thank Dikiwi
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have been an avid diver since 1986, and have been on wrecks around the world. I must say that diving the SS Coolidge with Allan Power Dive Tours was the VERY BEST wreck dive I have ever done. The guides were attentive and responsible, I was thoroughly briefed and debriefed for the dive, and the equipment rental was in fantastic condition. The dive guides took their time to explain every aspect of the dive on the SS Coolidge, plus gave us some historical overview of the island during WWII.

Most wrecks that I have dove were stripped bare and picked over, but the SS Coolidge still had all of its cargo, plates and cups, armaments and other equipment onboard. It has been frozen in time and was a great peek into an actual WWII ship. Best Dive Ever!!!!!

The island itself was loaded with WWII historical sites and artifacts. If you are a diver or a history buff, make a trip to Luganville and dive with Allan Power Dive Tours!!!!!

PS: For those visiting for the day on a cruise ship, Allan Power Dive Tours will pick you up at the ship and return you in time for the ships departure. Just email the dive shop to confirm your ship name and arrival date.