“We are coming back!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bokissa Private Island Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bokissa Private Island Resort
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Espiritu Santo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“We are coming back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We went in Feb 2006 and again last April/May so this is well overdue. All the good things everyone else said + more. You end up forgetting what day it is. You are able to eat seperately or join your tables if you want to. Our previous trip we were all made to sit together which we weren't into so it is much better now. The food is great - lobster at 3 meals! Breakfast needs some tarting up. For my next trip I will pack some jams and my marmite. Drinks in the afternoon & evening. You can BYO at your rorm so don't forget your duty free. Take some extra pegs and washing powder etc if you want to wash your smalls. Kayaks are great, take steralising tablets for your snorkeling gear, in date sunscreen and reef shoes. We are planning our 3rd trip and if I could have my dream I would spend every holiday here. Sunday from Sydney you can get direct flights, Thursday goes via Melbourne so avoid that. No TV, no radio, no phones, no noise. BLISS! Jan, Dave, Alan and all their staff are great.

Room Tip: A room not too far from the main area. It gets very dark at night here.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nicole W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Spent 8 nights at Bokissa and was sad to leave. The place is sensational, very private with only a few other couples there. Fare was quite nice, nothing too special however had all that was needed. Location fantastic, only a few steps to the beach and then the most amazing snorkelling just off the beach, Food was amazing and very generous. Every meal was super delicious. Staff were lovely and very efficient. Would have been nice to see more Vanuatu culture as in tradditional meals and maybe entertainment/music instead of constant playing and replaying of the Eagles though! Thoroughly enjoyed the stay and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday in paradise.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank smallbyname
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The snorkelling was good but not superb, the tracks around the island brought us to delightful spots, the staff were helpful and responsive. It's a quiet relaxing place, and I will probably go there again, even though, after a week, we knew the whole island. No restaurants, so you have to eat there, and the food wasn't brilliant, but there was enough and it was varied.

Make sure you do the "blue lagoon" kayaking trip, and take a book or two: they have a library, but it's a bit patchy.

You will enjoy it!

Room Tip: They were fairly equal,
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MacManly
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I had been here approximately 15 years ago and want to take my wife somewhere i remembered to be special but within our budget. She lived on an island in Venezuela then Costa Rica, so now living in Melbourne she gets warm weather sickness. I remembered the beach set up (as explained further on) being fantastic, but was not sure how far the accommodation had come along or gone down. It was nothing special 15 years ago, but it exceeded all my expectations.
When you first get off of the boat you are met at the dock by the owners mother Jan. You are made special from the word go, i felt like i was in a old TV show called fantasy island. Your bags are taken to your room while you are have a lei placed on you and shown/ explained about the place.

To explain the the set up a bit, for all you Australians that know Queensland. imagine walking straight from your room onto (the beach Oprah Winfrey loved)white heaven beach, then putting your snorkel on to snorkel (all be it a lot smaller) the great barrier reef. My wife is not a good swimmer and up until recently did not venture out further than she could stand up especially on her own. Here she put a life jacket on and would start at one end of the island and just drift down with the current over the reefs with snorkel. To add to her fun she would get some old bread from the kitchen put that in an mesh bag that we kept our rock walking shoes in, and she was like the pipe piper to the fish. They would be all around her in the water.

The diver is world class having so many famous WW2 wrecks in the area. The dive teams as excellent as nothing is a problem for them. We even come back from a main island trip one night late and i had a night dive booked. I was the only one going on the dive and as it was late I told them not to bother. They made me go and get my things and they got out the tanks/gear that had all been put away and took me on one of the best dives in my entire life.
The food is just fantastic and as other reviews have stated nothing is a problem. I am a beef/chicken eater my wife seafood. We both walked away each night so, so happy from the table.

Pros: There are so many to list, this truly is a fantastic resort. The food, the diving, the laid back nature of the people running the place/owners, the setting, I could go on.

Con: There is no bad things, just something’s people may not like. Example, the air conditioner shuts down at certain times. I think it was at 7am to7pm it was off, where as I would run it for longer. There is no TV, videos, etc, while this is a good thing at first after a while there were a few nights I would have liked to watch a movie in bed with my wife. Dinner is at a set time which is around 7 (island time) each night. As it is dark, after dinner and you go straight to bed (no TV) I believe I gained about a kilo a night in weight eating late and going straight to bed. But again I am drawing a long bow to find something wrong. This place is truly fantastic and I can’t speak highly enough about it. I would recommend this to anyone/everyone.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kiskos
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

myself and my sister spent 5 days at bokissa truly amazing, the island is beautiful, the food was great, the staff were the best, you can snorkel straight off the beach in a underwater garden cannot fault this beautiful place will go back again, cried when i left, make sure you visit the island church service on sunday morning very welcoming

Room Tip: room 13 the best
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sharyn s
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

We have just spent five nights at this wonderful resort and cannot praise it highly enough. The location, atmosphere, the people and the food and drink were all completely fabulous. If you want a perfect, low key escape Bokissa is the place to do it. The owners Dave and Jan make you feel at home right from the word go. I had a minor accident and hurt my back coming over and they were genuinely kind and concerned without being fussy or making me feel awkward.
Don't miss having happy hour drinks with them and their lovely family, it is a highlight of the day.
The snorkelling off the island is astounding and very very safe, the diving is great with friendly and very confident dive masters. And don't miss out on the Malo Island kayaking trip...a very specvial experience.
In the evening there are no organised activities, just wonderful cocktails, fabulous food, a friendly and social atmosphere, and good conversation, but if you prefer to be romantic and dine alone, you can. It is all about what the guest wants.
The rooms are simple but spotlessly clean and well maintained. The staff are friendly and always happy. They can't do enough for you.
This is a very special place and we will definitely come back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ginni2102
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Actually, I don't know what Bokissa means in literal translation, but for me, it means beauty and peace. I spent 8 days in this tropical location unspoilt by the noise and intrusiveness of modern life. It truly was 'heaven on a stick' for me, healing and soul replenishing.
If you want the generic sterility of high end hotel chains having your every move watched over by fawning staff & tourists in their multitudes - this island is not for you. But if you want to float in aquamarine waters clear as crystal and marvel in the underwater mosaic of corals and fish 20 paces from your door, be lulled off to sleep by the gentle wash of waves, eat fresh unpretentious food served by a gentle, smiling people, wander through the forest, paddle a kayak out to the indigo deep water, join the local children with their soft brown eyes and wide, white smiles singing hymns in the little church on a Sunday, swing in your hammock reading a book or simply sit on the beach pondering the beauty surrounding you - then think about Bokissa. I'll be going back for a re-charge of the batteries as soon as I can. Don't go if noise, modern trappings, disco and theme nights attended by loads of tourist clones in aloha shirts or having servile staff hovering at your elbow every minute is more your thing.

Room Tip: Any of the fares have beach access and even though I was in one right next to the pool, noise was no...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Ratua Private Island
Ratua Private Island
#2 of 11 in Luganville
Iririki Island Resort & Spa

Been to Bokissa Private Island Resort? Share your experiences!