“A great dive/fishing experience”

Coral Quays Fish & Dive Resort
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Espiritu Santo
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We picked Coral Quays for our diving because they offer much more than just diving the Coolidge and could not have made a better choice.

Having dived the Red Sea, the Barrier Reef and some other great places before, I was stunned when I saw 30 meters + viz and the unspoilt nature of the coral on the Santo reefs. The reefs here give true meaning to the term unspoilt. The best bit is that Coral Quays is the only dive operator diving these reefs. If you prefer crowds on reefs you will be disappointed.

Michael and Vuti (pronounced Footy), who both grew up in Santo, are professional and know their stuff. Diving the Coolidge highlighted this. Dive briefings are done the proper way, equipment (Scubapro) is well maintained and the DM straps a full size bail out tank onto himself for each Coolidge dive in addition to the spare air available at the deco stop. Night dives on the Coolidge is again done the proper way. It is clear that these guys take the safety of their guests very seriously. As a matter of principle I always take my own gear when travelling as a result of having seen some scary stuff over the years. However, when it comes to Coral Quays, I have no reservations about using their rental gear.

What is especially great is that they are very flexible in terms of their offering. For example, one can do a dive/fish combo. Having never caught a fish in my life, I ended up doing two dive/fish combos and managed to catch a big Rainbow Runner, Mahi Mahi (Dorado) and two Yellow Fin Tuna. Old school fun.

I cannot comment on the rooms as we did not stay at Coral Quays.

Already planning my next Santo dive trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

The resort seems to be very tired. Our room which was a superior bungalow was fairly run down- the aircon didnt wrk, the sheets didnt smell clean and the bathroom was very old. Not worth the price paid. it was also quite noisy due to there being a main road between the resort and the beach ( not a nice swimming beach).

The food however was great and so was the manager. We didn't dive and this obviously was the resorts speciality.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Lucy R
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Loved the level of service and guiding we received from Michael and Voodie.

They knew all the dive areas in and out. Even though he's an Aussie, Michael was born and raised in Vanuatu, speaks the language and knows the history of the place. And Voodie's a local.

He would give a really cool 5 minute summation of what happened or where we were, then we'd go dive it. And as a fellow divemaster, He was really good at his job. The perfect combo of safe and hands off.

They run boat dives from the hotel and we were in really small groups (4 was the most). Their gear was pretty new too. Doing it over again, I wouldnt bring my own gear, Id just rent from them. When the dive is over, you get off the boat and go have a beer at the hotel bar while they handle all the gear. Loved that.

Well worth it. We will be using them when we go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I just spent 7 days a the resort, and let me tell you it was great. The staff were realy good, nothing was a problem. The dive opetator did everything they could to help me out, I was diving with another operator not a problem they arranged transport for me and I then did a couple of dives with them as well. They are out of town about 10 mon's but thats note an issue. Food was great and he rooms were very good. Go there I have stayed in other resorts in Santo and this is as good if not better and there is no crowding.
Leigh

1  Thank Leigh F
Reviewed 8 February 2013

We are not really sure what this reviewer below is on about. But our stay was rather pleasant. We happily moved out off our Hotel Santo after one night stay and we were confronted with very friendly and knowledgeable Coral Quays local staff. So we decided to stay for 3 nights.

The dive instructor (Michael) straight away informed us what is on offer. Because we don't like boat dive so much, they were happy to put us onto another dive shop that does shore dives. Even as non divers, the resort has nice snorkeling at the front accross the street (which is not busy). There is even a little sandy beach especially on low tide with their own jetty.

We were there at the quiet time, but this did not stop them to provide us with a well presented continental breakfast which had all the condiments you could wish for (except filtered coffee). And if you whish, you can order cooked breakfast as well.

The 2 evening meals we had there were good with no complaints. The local staff must must be so well trained, they certainly look after you . They ask you if you would like another drink or dessert and they even clear your table promptly after you finish it without being overbearing.

You can clearly feel that the onsite managers & owners understand hospitality.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dominique B
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Unhappy. If you are looking for the true Vanuatu experience, then this is not the place to stay. This resort is owned and managed by offshore investors, not locals. Management are not professional and are unfriendly, which made for an unpleasant experience.

Prices charged for food and accommodation, is overpriced.. equivalent to what is charged in Australia.

Diving operation here is very basic. If you are looking to dive sites such as the Coolidge, this diving operator does not have permission to dive such sites. They only offer basic snorkelling and diving. People don't visit Santo to laze, more than likely they are diving the President Coolidge or the Henry Benneaud. You also have to pay double the price as you are theorically paying for two diving operators to take you out for a dive. Why spend the extra money and give it to offshore investors, why not just give it to the local people of Vanuatu where it is needed most.

Room Tip: look elsewhere.
2  Thank Lillian N
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Coral Quays is a short bus ride out of Luganville, and is right on the water with own private jetty. Have to say I LOVED it here. Very relaxed, clean simple rooms set in beautiful lush tropical gardens. A feature is the shade offered by huge jungle trees all around, which also attract lots of birds. The staff on reception are lovely, friendly, helpful, as is the owner Phil - a typically relaxed and low key expat Aussie. The food in the restaurant was fabulous too, a big thumbs up for the green curry chicken...mmm, delicious! No need to eat anywhere else for me (except maybe coffee and lunch at Victoria Cafe in town). Now, of course, the diving. Coral Keys was the perfect place for a rusty scuba diver like me to get back into it. The first dive was shallow and easy-Million Dollar Point which is amazing, see other reviews of the dive for info on this, followed by a number of great reef dives. Michael, the dive instructor was a wealth of local info about the diving, the environs, the culture, and has some great tales to tell about growing up on the nearby islands. Vuti, well what I can I say? A very patient, skilled and knowledgable dive guide, and very handsome as well. Some good viewing up on deck as well as below.!Thanks so much for showing me your wonderful reef home guys! Sonya