“Several stays at GTKC”

Golden Tulip Kumasi City
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Kumasi
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Over the last 5 years or so the hotel has developed a some character . The Reception area is well laid out but the check-in is sometimes a little slow . The rooms in the main block have a balcony - with no seats provided ! - and are more spacious with a nice view but are also more expensive than the rooms at the back . All the furnishings and fittings do not look and feel solid enough to stand the test of time . The wifi worked well and the TV had the channels you'd expect .

The restaurant staff are not well trained . Waiters and waitresses simply are not alert to diner's needs and I found it easier to pick up cutlery or whatever from an adjoining table at breakfast time rather than find a waiter or waitress .

The most attractive feature is the pool area because there is also a pleasant view over part of Kumasi . Don't count on a quiet afternoon by the pool on a Saturday as music blasts out from a nearby palaver hut . The bar area next to Reception is pleasant enough as a place to relax and meet people .

It is easily the best hotel I have stayed at in Kumasi but often indifferent service makes me view my stays with mixed feelings .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Frank R
GTKC2014, Manager at Golden Tulip Kumasi City, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review. All your comments are essential to educating our staff about good and bad service. We will ensure your feedback will be given to all. Furthermore, I will personally supervise that all your other complaints are addressed that everything will be in order on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having been to Kumasi in 2013 it was exciting to return in 2014. This time with more time and opportunity to explore the City and the Region. I was met, as last year, with a most accomodating staff at the Golden Tulip which has become my new home in Kumasi. Today's visits will include the Palace and the Komofo Anoyke Sword. That's just for starters. Many other places will follow.

I am having a great time.

I've been to a few hotels in Kumasi, and I can honestly say that the staff here outshines all outshines all others. I've never met such attentive and courteous staff without the pandering. The accommodation are also great, and the buffets are spectacular! Be forewarned that you will gain some weight with all the good food!

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments. I will be sure to let our staff know how much of an impact they made on your experience. We are always pleased to be your second home when you're at the area.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel several times, from the week it first opened and will be happy to stay again next time I am in Kumasi.

The rooms in the front (main building) are much better than the rear ones, the buffet breakfast is good the evening buffet I don't enjoy as much. However sitting by the pool on an evening and ordering off the menu is a very pleasant experience.
The pool area itself is very good and gets quite busy with families on a weekend.
The staff are always helpful and welcoming, if a little slow at times.

I am sure I will enjoy my next stay as much as all my previous ones.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if possible as the rooms are nicer than the annex at the back.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive comments. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I hope your next stay is just around the corner. Call us if there is anything we can help you with.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

The food was great and the total experience was wonderful. weekend breakfast doesn't finish until about 11 am and it really give us more time to relax at the pool side. i will recommend this place to anybody coming to Kumasi

Nana Afia Konadu

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for giving us a perfect rating and for recommending our hotel to other travelers. I'm sure our entire hotel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed here for six nights of my two week study abroad in Ghana. I was not very pleased with this hotel at all. The hotel is very nice with a nice lobby, good sized rooms with a balcony, and a nice bathroom. However, the staff was very rude, the food was always slow to come out and took us two hours to get from the time of ordering one night, and the beds were very uncomfortable. I felt like I was sleeping on a piece of plywood that looked like a mattress. I have back problems and this did not help at all.

The hotel is very over priced considering the beds and all of the bad service. There was ten people in our group and on one day most of our room keys stopped working and we had to get them replaced. Several of us also had to replace the room keys on several other occaisons. I was not impressed when the cleaning people kept moving my belongings around the room and bathroom. I have put my belongings out of the way on purpose. That is so you do not have to move them to clean the major areas of the room.

The service was also very biased. I know we are a bunch of American college aged young adults, but we are very respectful and did nothing wrong to deserve the bad service that we got. The staff seemed to be friendlier to other guests.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who is travelling to Kumasi. I will tell them to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Macy H

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the feedback concerning your stay. Being continuously into customer service our guest opinion is always welcome. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the delay in our food service and any associated discomfort that it might have caused.
The delay has also been investigated and addressed with the concerned departments
It is our philosophy to ensure that we provide our guests with the highest standards of service at all times and our guest satisfaction is our number one priority.
We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to the Golden tulip Kumasi city to experience a better stay. Thank you

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I love this place ... each time I visit Kumasi Ghana ... I hit the breakfast food bar.... and you can get eat until you are full ... and then enjoy the pool ,,, I tell you the food is service is sooooo wonderful.... I will be coming back here next time I'm visiting Ghana

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for giving us a perfect rating and for recommending our hotelto other travelers. I'm sure our entire hotel staff enjoyed catering to your needs as much as you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Pluses and minuses with the Golden Tulip --- pluses: clean rooms, comfortable looby, well-cared-for compound. Minuses: very hard beds, buffet food never hot, difficulty in obtaining hand and face towels, some staff members not interested in giving service. But, judging from the other hotels I passed by while traveling the city, this may be the best hotel that Kumasi has. Overall, I rank this about even with a Holiday Inn in the USA.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rick81669

Dear Guest,
I appreciate your positive feedback about our hotel. We do take pride in catering for our guests' needs the best way we can. If you're traveling to our area gain soon, don't hesitate to call us.