“What a stunning place”
Review of Sanctuary Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Naivasha
Sanctuary Farm
Brighton, United Kingdom
“What a stunning place”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

It is very easy for us to write this as we know the people who own the place so we have a very big advantage.
Does this make the rooms worse or better NO they are still very nice rooms and the food is second to none.
Lets be honest in this area there are alot of NGOs on a weekend away. This place covers the mid range price bracket. They cover it very well.
The amount of wildlife in the farm is second to none.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
nairobi
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I've been to Sanctuary several times and have always enjoyed my stay. Beautiful, clean rooms-- though we did have trouble with hot water last time I was there. The grounds are gorgeous, perfect for walks by the lake with lots of animals around. The food is also excellent. I would say it's worth staying at Sanctuary for the food alone. Lunch is served buffet style with lots of fresh salads. Plenty of options for vegetarians.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Nairobi
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Sanctuary Farm is a popular place to go, and to some degree it is easy to understand. But the place is over-priced when you think about what you get. The farm is a down-to-earth place to stay away from noise and stress with gnus and giraffes walking around on the area. You can also have a boat ride on the Lake to see Hippos.

The rooms in the old stable is very nice and tastefully decorated in a rustique style. Very nice. Also, coffee and tea at the room in the mornings is very welcome.

The hostess, Julia, is very nice and friendly. So far so good.

The lunch is not what it should be for the price you are paying. Considering that the place charge you more than Serena Lodge in Amboseli or Sarova Lodge in Nakuru, for example, you should expect more. When we were there the lunch buffet didn't have enough food, and it was not re-filled before we commented on it. Further, the selection was really not that good either when you think of the great buffet other places in this country have. Dinner was tasteful, but to sit and wait 35 minutes on a coffee that never come is annoying.

You cannot pay by card, but they are very helpful and you can do a bank transfer afterwards.

In conclusion, a nice place to go as an alternative to other more poshy places, but be prepared to spend more money than you think is worth.

Room Tip: You have to get a room in the old stables.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jon-Andreas
Sanctuaryfarmkenya, Owner at Sanctuary Farm, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
Thank you for your review on Sanctuary Farm and I apologize for the coffee not turning up and our tardiness in replenishing the lunch buffet. Service is an area we obviously need to concentrate on and thanks to your remarks I will make it a priority. Our lunches are intended to be a light, well balanced meal, prepared fresh daily and using only the finest ingredients. It would therefore be difficult to lower our prices without compromising the quality.
Birmingham
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We stayed at Sanctury Farm , sadly, one night , on our way to SLeeping Warrior. Sadly because the Sanctury Farm is an amazing place and Julie and Guy and their staff are wonderful hosts. They are all so so caring , welcoming and nothing was any trouble for them. We loved the accommodation, the total ambience of being in the nature with wonderful animals , glorious trees and superb people. Loved Julie's amazing cooking. You made our stay a tranquil and a memorable one. We will be back for a longer stay next time. We highly recommend Sanctury Farm to anyone. Wonderful hosts whose desire is to make their visitors stay a happy and a comfortable one. Thank you to all of you. Lucky and Steve from Birmingham UK

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lakshmibirmingham
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2013

What can I say? This is just the most magical paradise you could possibly want - we wanted to relax in a pampered but natural and unspoilt environment and this is exactly what you got. The rooms are spotless and although simple, also with a feel of luxury and comfort. The staff are incredible and will make every effort to see to all your needs, whether it be herbal tea at 5 am or a cappuccino on the verandah at 11.

Drive through Naivasha and you will pass many flower farms and manicured 'hotels', arrive at Sanctuary and it seems to be only place filled with an abundance of wild animals in their natural habitat - including Giraffe, Zebra, monkeys and Hippo. It is truly beautiful and they are everywhere!

At the club house Julie serves breakfast. lunch and dinner which are all home-cooked and the very best quality of fresh, exciting food. Although there is not a choice, (it is all so delicious you won't need one), if you are unable to eat anything Julie will always be able to provide something else at very short notice. The fully stocked bar is also open all day so you really can just dream the day away drinking in the wonderful scenery and peaceful atmosphere.

If you prefer a more active trip, there is plenty to do both on the farm (watch the milking of the cows, take a horse ride, a boat on the lake, or a night safari drive with guy) or off the farm on various day trips.

Its not a hotel, but for me its far superior and a truly unique experience. Thank you so much Julie and Guy and all the wonderful staff at Sanctuary,

If you want more than just drinking in the scenery and

Room Tip: The family room is great if you have children
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Riccini
barcelona
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Julie is pretty clear that Sanctuary Farm is not a hotel. She calls it a farmstay. In my book, Sanctuary Farm is more like a luxurious wilderness retreat. There are animals wandering all over the farm... in addition to their 250+ head of milk-producing cows, there are all kinds of wild herbivores, from waterbuck to wildebeests to giraffes and zebras. I stayed in a room that had been a stable and had been done up beautifully. Comfortable bed (with turndown service that sets up the mosquito nets and puts a hot water bottle under the covers), spotless bathroom with rainforest shower and good supply of hot water and strong water pressure, and these huge glass and metal doors that let in plenty of light. The club house is a short walk away (though they drive you home at night lest you encounter an ornery hippo) and there's plenty of food served. We enjoyed 3-course meals (included in their full-board package) and plenty of wine (which is extra, but we had a few bottles with us and they were kind enough not to charge for corkage). The breakfasts are particularly amazing -- homemade granola, milk from their dairy cows, fresh fruit, eggs and sausages. Their horses are well-trained, and I think there are over 16 of them, which means they can choose the right one for you, whether you want one with a little more energy, or a super calm older horse. Finally, Sanctuary Farm is a photographer's paradise. Guy is a professional photographer and is happy to offer tips. That said, Julie and Guy totally respect their guests' privacy. Some mornings I was a recluse, hanging out alone in my room reading, and that was just as fun as the evenings I spent hanging out in the Club House. I enjoyed my stay at Sanctuary Farm so much that I can't wait to go back there soon.

Room Tip: I loved the Stable Rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I recently stayed at S.Farms when it was recommended to me by a friend.

Long and short - Julie and Guy are the Best Hosts Ever. It is not a hotel but a homely retreat of a 5Star nature. It offers the best beds, the best rooms, the best food and by far the best scenery.

Every morning when I woke up I was so captivated by the Zebras and Wildebeests walking outside my room.. when I asked - when do the Giraffe come by i was told 8:00 / 8:30am and surely they did.
Little things make all the difference at S.Farms: having your coffee brought to your room as early as 6:00am - where I sat on my porch and took in the real life of animals around me.

This place is the perfect retreat for 2-3 days when landing in Nairobi. It is Kid Friendly (Horseback riding, hippo boat rides, and if you're lucky...Guy just might take you on an evening game ride on their 450acre property where you might see among Hippos's a batty eyed fox! No matter how much Pixel (the dog) wants to drive.. Guy by far is the best driver!!

Thanks to everyone on the Farm who made this stay Top Notch!!!

I will definitely return

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent - clean, modern, beds are firm and super comfy.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business