“Great place for a meeting”

Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Naivasha
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed there in August for a meeting. Food is very good - with lots of vegetables, salads, fruits - with plenty of choices. Rooms are big and very much ok, I stayed in the rooms closer to the main entrance area. Plenty of space for walks in the morning. Conference rooms are also very good, excellent service and staff. The bar seems very old and a bit run-down. Apart from that, a good place for a break, golf, and a meeting. Recommend.

Room Tip: The ones closer to the reception are more convenient.
1  Thank Helena M
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear Guest,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to host you again in the near future

There are newer reviews for Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort

Reviewed 6 September 2013

If you are looking for a great place to have a business retreat, a conference where you encourage people to get to know one another, or are looking for a golfer's paradise where zebra and impala graze nearby in the morning mist, this is the place for you.

In a sincere effort to give a very balanced review, I will provide all of the information I wish someone would have told me before I went. I will also divulge that I was a guest here for 6 nights in a group of 25+ people for a conference, it only rained once during my stay, and this was during the cool season in Kenya. This hotel sits at an elevation of 7,000 ft above sea level, which can make your morning runs harder, but oh-so much better because of the views!

The Pros:
+The grounds are simply gorgeous, and ask for a room with a view from your patio! My room had two walls of floor-to-ceiling windows (with ample heavy drapes for night) and a view of the valley and lake below that was astounding! If you stay at a residence, they are unparalleled in beauty and have the nicest views on the property.
+The elevation made mosquitos virtually non-existant (in August for sure). I saw maybe 5 during my whole stay, and none in my room. No mosquito nets needed at the resort, just if you take trips down to the lakes and valleys. I didn't even use the spray or wipes I brought with me.
+The food! Every day there was a tremendous variety of food for all 3 meals, and they kept rotating items in and out and changing the specialties and desserts so there was always something new! No one in our whole huge party got sick from anything they ate, and everything was prepared professionally, with great care and concern for the health of the guests, and the staff were so accommodating!
+The conference facilities were top-notch and easy to locate. Set apart from the other resort areas, we were not interrupted by other guests and the facilities were well-maintained. There was power, internet, plenty of large desks and comfortable chairs, and the coffee/tea breaks were consistently well-stocked and delicious. Try the local Kenyan Tea!!!
+The grounds are dimly lit at night and the stars are simply amazing!
+The staff go out of their way to make sure you have the most amazing experiences! They orchestrated an amazing "Bush Dinner" for our group with live dancing by local tribesman, they held a pool-side evening buffet and party with music and patio-warmers to keep us all comfortable and having fun, and once again the food and beverage selection was amazing at both!
+I'm not a golfer, but this course looked awesome! I saw a lot of golfers having a great time, and as I ran around the course each morning, there seemed to be a good variety in terrain and challenge. The course seems well-manicured and maintained.
+The isolation from other resorts, towns, or roads combined with the large, relaxed meal space means you really get to spend quality time getting to know your colleagues or travel mates. It feels a bit like being on a cruise ship where you see the same people for common activities for a week. :-)
+Although the normal rate can be a bit steep, they really help out groups with good rates.
+The breakfast area is great for exotic bird watching!
+The staff and grounds crews are obsessively cleanly and they take pride in making sure every bit of the resort is cleaned daily.

The Cons:
-The property roads are dark at night, so you cannot walk to all of the residences, but this is easily solved because the front desk arranges for many drivers to shuttle you around the property.
-The elevation makes for cool mornings and temperate afternoons, but you can get a little cold and there is no heat or A/C in the rooms. It is totally manageable, but during August you would want to bring sweaters, pants, and dress in layers to be around the resort for the warmer parts of the day.
-Wi-fi. If you are accustomed to having internet in your hotel room, then you should buy a Safaricom wireless hotspot at the airport and charge it with a data plan before you venture here. Internet is only available in the lobby and conference areas. Although, the wireless the provided is decently fast!
-Also, the difficulty of achieving signal meant that I had to try to run my credit card a few times in their machines before it obtained signal.
-This resort caters to people who like quiet, so you cannot call between the rooms and their version of a "wake up call" is a knock on your door in the morning at your appointed time. Bring your phone or travel alarm clock.
-The road leading up to the resort is atrocious. This is the only true drawback to the place, and you should NOT attempt to drive that road in a normal passenger car if you want your shocks to be intact at the end of your journey. By bus, or hotel vehicle, it will take about 20 minutes from the main road to reach the resort, and you pass through some native habitats where you can see baboons, zebra, various deer, antelope and impala. Once you are on the resort grounds, the roads are great! [I hear they keep the road unpaved to prevent the average person from coming up there and it remains private for the rich and famous on holiday].
-My bed was pretty darn firm. This is the way I have experienced it everywhere though, in both East and West Africa the extra firm mattress seems to be the norm. To get around this, I doubled my comforters underneath me and used the quilt as a blanket to sleep all the way through the night until I was acclimated.
-The food is so good you can easily get fat. :-)

My Overall Experience:
I would go here again in an instant. I don't think it gets better than this in Naivasha, and of all of the places I have visited in Kenya this was the nicest facility outside of Nairobi specializing in golf and safari/game drives.

*My top tip- Grab a friend or your spouse and go for a morning run 20 minutes before sunrise around the perimeter by the 100's residences for an amazing sunrise over the valley- if you run the whole loop from the 5000's block it is a perfect 5k.

Room Tip: With a standard room, ask for one facing East over the valley, and if you go for the residences, ask...

Dear Guest,
I do read all Guests comments and normally i have a comment when i finish. This is one is truly all inclusive and so i add or negate nothing.
It is a very good summary and of what we are and i will use as a case for future improvements.
Regards,

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Only spent one night here. Such a shame we could not have spent longer, but safari beckoned! The rooms were beautiful and certainly had a WOW factor about it. The bed was very comfortable. To sit out on the balcony, look over the Great Rift Valley or just on the railings of the balcony to see beautiful birds, was a great view. The restaurant was really nice and had a good choice of food. The staff were really friendly, reception and bar area was really nice, whilst dark, was cosy and comfortable. It looked like there were extensive grounds especially the golf resort, but did not get a chance to see it. Well worth staying here!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 956MikeF
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

How nice that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Beautiful location and grounds. Not a golfer, so cannot comment on the course. Each and every member of the staff was extremely courteous and attentive. Good variety of food. Lovely view from the chalets. Our thanks to all staff, esp Danial!

Room Tip: Almost all rooms overlook the Rift Valley.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Guest,
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the Unit.
Kind regards,
The GRVL Team.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

While on safari a week ago, my family spent a few nights at the Great Rift Valley Lodge. It is a beautiful place. In the bedroom area, we each had a queen-sized bed. Behind it was a full bath. Then there was a step down into a sitting area complete with fireplace. Beyond that was a balcony with a wonderful view of the rift valley. The lodge has a golf course and on-staff naturalists. One escorted us on a walk on the golf course where we saw a variety of birds and zebras. In the morning dozens of colorful birds are lured to the lodge which feeds them. It is also close to Lake Naivasha where we had a game drive that included a wide variety of game sightings, as well as more birds. The only drawback was the food. There were two options: a buffet and a sit-down dinner. The buffet offered uninspired fare and there were lots of flies buzzing around. The sit down dinner was very good, but we had to wait until everyone was served and this took hourse. Also, it might be wise to pack a small flashlight. My room at the lodge was on a lower level and the steps leading to it were cracked.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms would be the ideal choice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda V
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for sharing this feedback. It will go a long way in making us better.
Glad you stayed with us.
The GRVL Team.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here 2 nights as part of a safari tour with Collette. Long walk from the bar/dining to the room but at night there is always a guide with a flashlight.

Room had a skeleton key but I could barely open it.

Mosquito nets were a joke, many gaps and holes, assumed they were just for show; but since the room is totally enclosed the nets were probably not needed.

Other than that the room was okay.

We had breakfast in the bush which was nicely presented.

We had a menu dinner which was okay, except service was very, very slow. It appeared they served and cleared each course from all the tables before serving the next course. We started at 7:30 and left at 9:30 rather than wait for dessert.

Lunch and the buffet dinner are an even further walk as it is in a building further on from the bar/dining room. The room is rather cold, but they set up pots with charcoal which warms up the area.

For breakfast, they have an area where they put out food for the birds and you get to see a large assortment of various colorful birds.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting this comments. We appreciate them and we shall use them in review and in our endeavors to be best amongst equals.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

So, in July I brought my staff for a 2 day conference, a Friday and Saturday, just to arrive and find out that some in my office forgot to book a conference room. But as per the usual service delivery from the resort, Fred and his team had arrange a room within half an hour. We all thoroughly enjoyed the two days. The service was excellent as usual food was fantastic (must try the veggies). Some of the guys couldn't swim but with some help from the pool staff they were swimming in no time. Problem was to get them out after that.

I'm back now for a week to catch up on some serious outstanding work and what better place to be. Quite surroundings, beautiful views and everything else you need. I almost don't need to leave my room. I arrived on Sunday evening in Nairobi and was picked up from the airport. We arrive at the lodge around 10pm to friendliness itself. Eunice and Stephen K was there to welcome me. In a flash I was in my room and asleep.

I read some of the reviews for the month of August. There are valid point in all of them. This is not a 5 star or 7 star facility but the staff try their utmost to make it feel like it. This is now my, I think, 5th time this year to the lodge and I still have the same impression from my first visit.

Gregory, Njenga, rest of management team and all the other staff, you guys are running a great ship!. Keep up the great work and I will keep on coming back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
BeutifulKenya64, Group Operations Manager at Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thanks for this feedback. We truly aspire to be called a 5* or even 7* one day. This is an ambition we are passionate about.
From you assessment we are there with the staff but we wish to be there with service and facilities too. Keep watching this page.
the GRVL Team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Naivasha
Lake Naivasha Country Club-Sun Africa Hotels
#6 of 6 in Naivasha
Wileli House
Wileli House
#5 of 40 in Naivasha

Been to Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!