“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #31 of 32 Hotels in Ukunda
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We have just returned from Kaskazi Beach Hotel and what a fabulous time we had, the staff in every department are the best you will ever find.Entertainment first class a fantastic team.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara1066

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Let´s start with the good: public spaces, terraces, pool, pool surrounding, friendly staff
Average: the food first three days, then you really get tired of the same overcooked underspiced stuff. It´s quantity and not quality that is available and it is put to ample use by some conference guests. We stayed at other hotels/restaurants in Kenya and we could compare the food and prizes. Kaskazi is certainly worse than other comparable places. Rooms are ok, not really good but not bad either. Personnel is friendly but not really capable. A request out of ordinary creates a lot of action but no result.
Bad: the beach absolutel bad, it is a dead coral reef, quite shallow ( at low tide for first 200 hundred meters at most 80 centimetrs) the see is milky white with coral sand and mixed with plenty of dead kelp. You can not swim, snorkeling is useless nothing to see up to 400 hundred meters into the see, a lot of sea urchins. The beaches about 1 km from the hotel are better but you have to get through a lot, and i mean a lot of very persistant hawkers. You really never get used to it and finally you really start not liking it at all. I do not appreciate bad entertainment and off key singing between 9 and 11 PM.

Absolutely not worth the 4 stars and we certainly will not be coming back

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Javyt123456

Travellers are raving about these Ukunda hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2011

this hotel is great if you dont want a beach.the pool is great staff very friendly and food ive had worse .when we booked it it shows a beautiful beach and as we are beach lovers we thought great got the best of both worlds beach or pool but the beach is all corral and if your brave enough to put up with the beach sellors you can walk a short distance and find the wonderfull beach that we thought was just in front of us .
no this hotel is not for people who love the beach.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank maggiemay1_11
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 6 July 2011

It was my first time visiting this hotel, and I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. I went there as a family group with my wife and the whole family including my parents. We arrived at the hotel in the mid afternoon and couldn’t access our hotel rooms until late evening as they were not ready. We then decided to check out the ‘beach’ but were dismayed by it. The so called beach was basically a coral reef. I had dreamt of having a holiday where I could have my naked feet sinking in the beach sand and lying next to the warm ocean, but clearly this wasn’t the place for that. Worse still, there were hawkers there ready, waiting to pounce on us to sell us stuff we didn’t like.

Not to dampen our holiday spirits, we decided to go check out the rooms. Me and my wife got lucky and were given an ocean view room. The room itself was okay. It was cool and the air conditioning was pretty good. I wasn’t expecting much considering what we paid for it, but was pleasantly taken aback by the room size and how clean it was.

The food was also relatively good and can’t complain about it. It is an all inclusive hotel and food was basically available throughout the day. There was also an ‘open bar’ and was quick to sample their local cocktails. I recommend everyone visiting Kaskazi to sample the ‘mzuri sana’ drink.

All in all, I recommend this hotel if you are visiting as a family and not a couple. This is definitely not a ‘romantic gateway’ for couples. And I think the negative reviews here are a bit excessive as it was not as bad as I thought it would be. I otherwise enjoyed my stay there but will opt for another hotel on my next holiday.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank motsomi85
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my parents, partner and daughter over the Easter period (2011). As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed with cold drinks and shown promptly to our room. Rooms are basic but we never booked 5 star so never expected it! The rooms were clean, had clean towels whenever you needed them, balcony with a view and aircon. Food was delicious every day/night something different. My 10 year old daughter is quite picky and she enjoyed sampling the different food every day/night. The staff in this hotel are lovely, everyone is always ready to help and cant do enough for you. Entertainment team are were just fab!! They are constantly around doing activities for kids and adults and making sure everyone is having a good time! Plenty of sunbeds during the day, towels ready and waiting for us when we got to the pool! Our rep was lovely, always checking we were ok, she was very helful and got us a deal on upgrading flights on way home. We will definately be going back to this hotel, cant wait to see everyone again. If you want 5* pay for it!!!!! If you want a fantastic base for exploring the south coast this is the hotel for you!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank nik84
Hempstead, New York
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I stayed at kaskazi easter weeked and was not please with the food or the room. First the room had no working outlets, tv, non-working fringe and dirty floors. The bathroom had no towels, leak on the floor and scum all over sink -tub. No wifi even though they advertise. The buffet style breakfat, lunch and dinner was awful. Meat was undercook. Juices was sour. Flies over your food in dining and on and on. The tide goes out at day this time of year. There is no beach. Seaweed and crab nest exposed on the sand. Kaskazi does not clean the beach. The manager and staff seem really shady. After cutting my 7 day stay to 2 days the manager was trying to charge me deluxe rate for a standard room. I was not please with manager John service. Leaving kaskazi and going to tamarind was the best choice I made. They need to change the management. The place has potential but is not being manage right. Kaskazi is located on the mainland which you have to take a ferry from mombasa to the south coast. I spent the rest of my trip n the north coast which was fantastic. Only thing I liked best was getting to know the south coast.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lioness4ever
Sunderland
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I am yet another person who is absolutely STAGGERED by the negative reviews of this wonderful hotel. I returned this morning from a seven night stay at kaskazi and feel increadibly lucky to have had my week in such a wonderful place.

so. lets get the basics out the way.....

We arrived to a long drive way strewn with flowers and blossom laden trees which masked a glorious set of buildings which fully captured the true craft of african buliding style and beauty.

We were met at the coach by the duty manager and promptly shown to our room which was clean and well presented with a breath taking view of the indian ocean.

The food during our stay was more than ample in quantity, quality, and choice, and other than the temptation to feed the local monkeys, meal times were a delight.

The entertainment staff who ran events through both day and night were constantly bubbling with entusiasm, and provided enough to do that that if you chose to lounge about all day, you were never bored and alwas felt cared for and welcome.

The hotel was quiet at night (after the various shows finished at roughly 22:30), and we were not disturbed once during our stay.

The pool was clean, there were an abundance of sun loungers, and plenty of shades/trees if we chose to hide from the sun.

ok, so my full story about the holiday is horrendously complicated but basically, i was let down by a company and had litteraly one day to organise a holiday or lose out on time booked off from work, this is how i came by the Kaskazi, thompson holidays offered a cheap package, i took it and off we went.
Prior to this stay i had never been on an all inclusive package, and my girlfriend, had never been out of the uk.

Having read reviews on this site (folowing my booking) i was understanably nervous about what would lie ahead, not only due to the hotel being in a developing country, but also taking my girl away for the first time, further away than she really wanted to go for a first holiday and due to us both having a preconception about what 'package holidays' would be like.

Our stay in Mombasa was simply wonderful, due to the hotels location we were able to visit atractions in the city centre, and went on safari, we took a couple of days to relax by the pool, we played sports and games organised by the hotel staff, we snorkled, we hand fed giraffes? on more than one night we danced the night away to local music and most importantly, we did all this in an area of the world which was so incredibly differant to the one we're from.

There was a Barclays bank a five minute walk the the hotel, and opposite, a supermarket with every western luxary you could ask for on holiday. (in our case, after sun for me, and copious amounts of ice cream and sweets for Courtney)

All of this was done on a very low budget as like i said, i only had a day or two to plan.

If i had to be negative, (and i'm really clutching at straws) there was a little bit of lime scale on the sink tap, and having been warned not to drink the tap water we did buy alot of bottled water from the super market just to be sure. (it cost 40p per 2 litre)

Our thompson rep was excellent. There every day to answer any promlems we had, (which were only ever really about directions) and the hotel had four or five trusted taxi drivers who knew the best local attractions and were polite and very cheap. We took one of them out for the whole afternoon and he showed us all the best parts of Mombasa and answered any questons we had about the city and the people.

I'm aware i'm bleating on and i need to wrap this up......

If you're looking for a week long binge drinking session, go to benidorm.
If you're looking for 5 star palatial accomodation and have plans to safari on camel-back, go to the Hilton in Nairobi

If you're looking to relax and want to experiance Africa for the first time in comfort and safety, Go to the Kaskazi!

p.s ( and if it's your birthday, dont tell the entertainment staff,,,,, trust me ;) )

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple