“A wonderful holiday”

Amani Tiwi Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Ukunda
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We have just returned from the Amani Tiwi, and it was just what we hoped for ... a lovely relaxing break with an exciting two day safari as well. The hotel room was clean, comfortable and spacious. We found plenty of choice for all our meals, and enjoyed the special menu nights, and dining outside when all the tables were moved by the pool. The beach is just beautiful, and we enjoyed the sea thanks to our reef shoes. Prince took us on a coral safari which was very memorable. Mercy is a gem, and all the hotel staff are so friendly, helpful and very hard working. Our two day trip to Tsavo East staying at Saltlick was amazing! We had a wonderful time, our first trip to Kenya which definitely won't be our last.

Room Tip: All rooms face the pool or the sea, we were in block 5 which is by the quieter pool with the pool ba...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

I have no clue where to start ...

Firstly , the hotel itself is well
Maintained and rather eye catching but is spread over a vast area !

My family & I stayed in the hotel 'deluxe rooms' the rooms were lovely! Loads of space and great (block 9) the house keeping was the best I think I've come across fresh linen daily complimentary toiletries topped up GREAT!! Huge super king bed, 3pillows length wide!
BUT.... And this is a big but the pool bar music is so loud Unfotunely that's all you are here in the room as there is no double glazing not only does it stop
There BUT.... The nights entertainment also is clear as anything when your in your room
At night this stops around 11pm
But is continues thudding of music between 10am and 11pm solidly, the cd's at the pool are on repeat its worse than listening to the same radio station all day every day! Don't get me wrong I'm 26 yrs old... But this
Is a hotel with older clientele if I wanted a music based thudding night I would have looked more to a 18-30
Holiday of which I've done, and even then when you wish to sleep you can infact sleep! Very very poor !

During our stay we also had a issue with our toilet which had flooded completely over the entire bathroom after 4phone calls to reception nothing was done! So I took pictures with my iPad stormed down to reception and was instantly moved
To the room next door , which has a awful lay out, smaller not at all to the same
Standard as the last! We then moved back
The following day ! Long winded and little apology ! Had even suggested we be moved into the empty suit for the night this was taken well by staff...

Food ... Edible , lots of selection but I am afraid to say I have suffered with 'Mombasa express' for 4/5days and my mother is
Currently hospitalised down the road for the same reason, if this is due to
The food , I don't know but likely !

Staff, mostly very good ! Housekeeping bar and restaurant staff especially ... Although reception staff could learn a thing or two from the others !

Pool towels are provided and always clean! The pool is well Maintanted always cleaning it at 7am... But think chlorine levels could be higher, I'm no expert!

Ice is hard to get .... It isn't offered in drinks you need to ask for it time and time again! One would think as the waiters remember what you drink daily they may indeed remember that you ask for ice every day! This isn't the case !

The kitchen staff are overworked ! But seem
To love what they do! Nothing is too
Much for them, you can easily request things if you need ! Soups are always fantastic

The entertainment is ok.... Snake show could be more interesting ! But the lay out of seating is a total joke, rows of chairs no tables ... Not enough seats ! Shocking really

Football is 24/7 in the hotel bar but not enough volume to phase anyone !

The Thomson rep ,
Mercy is totally waited as a rep she is a absolute diamond ! And frankly the hotel could benefit having more dealings with her as changes may actually be made ... Review after review say the same thing again and again !

But honestly nothing is too much for her she is amazing ! Especially visiting my mother in hospital etc etc etc ! GREAT! She could frankly be the face of Thomson as its about all it's got going for them... Everyone else I've met from airport check in to cabin crew have been miserable

All inclusive factor has been covered in a review below and I couldn't agree with them more they need to rethink' all inclusive '!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Alanna_burns
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We have just returned from a fortnight at Amani Tiwi Resort and agree with other reviews. Whilst the rooms are good, the bathroom is small and our room boy did not come every night to do mossie spray, good job there were no mossies whilst we were there.
The bar area is very spacious but why were we inflicted with two televisions showing football all day and evening! Move them to a designated area along with the pool tables and give a better ambience with music or entertainment in the evening so people can relax and not have to listen to football. There is a lot of wasted space throughout the hotel which could be put to better use.
A bug bear thoughout our stay was the lack of ice for drinks, ice machines should be at the bars not somewhere else so you have to go without or wait for 10 minutes.
Entertainment was ok and the animation staff did their best, but most people were seated at the bar away from the entertainment where there was a large space doing nothing.
The food, although of good quatity, was wasted with lack of variety and only having a week turn around made for boring meals.
The beach was good with plenty of sun beds but the sea was nigh impossible to get into because of rocks and sea urchins and also being very shallow even at high tide.
We only went on one trip and that was to Shimba Lodge. On the game drives the animals had decided to hide for the day and we only saw giraffe, warthogs and a few buffalo and impala. The hotel was a giant tree house and well worth a visit for the experience. We fed the bush babies and the squirrels which came for breakfast. If you want to see animals go to Tsavo.
The main highlights of the Amani Hotel are the very friendly staff, too many to name here, but I will mention Joseph, the monkeys and Tiwi the cat. Mercy, our rep was outstanding and nothing was too much trouble for her, she always had a smile, a joke and a laugh.
This was our second trip to Kenya and was not as good an experience as the first.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel through Thomson Platinum, despite there being very few reviews available. We had previously gone to the Riu Garopa in Cape Verde (another Thomson Platinum hotel) and expected this to be of a similar standard with similar "all inclusive" criteria.

Firstly, the transfer. On a good day, it will take one hour and fifteen minutes. On a bad day (i.e. landing early morning), it may take up to three hours to reach the hotel. Mombasa airport is on an estuary island and is gridlocked during the day time. The only way off is via a drive-on drive-off car ferrry along with about a thousand foot passengers. On our outward transfer, we had to queue to get around a lorry which had slid off the main road and down the bank onto our slip road (this was the same bank that a UK holiday bus recently slid down injuring passengers). Then we had to queue for ages to get on the ferry because a lorry had driven straight into the river, blocking one of the spaces that the ferry docks at on the river bank, so only one could dock at a time. We found out the next day that four people died when the lorry went in - over here they would have closed the crossing for a week, over there we just sailed past and docked next to the almost submerged lorry, presumably while the bodies were still inside it :-(

The hotel itself is nice, clean and tidy, if a little lacking in character. When we went in late January, there was a very strong north trade wind (apparently it is a feature every year from December through to about March) and this meant that it was very windy sitting in the bar area (which had a roof but no walls) or outside near the entertainment stage. Playing cards or keeping your hair out of your mouth when you took a drink was challenging to say the least! On the plus side, there is no way I could have dealt with 37 degrees without that wind!

I couldn't help thinking that, given that they had to rebuild this hotel after the fire in 2009, they could have paid more attention to the lay out. There is no logical "flow" to where the facilities are. There is only one main bar which is pretty much in the walkway from reception to the main restaurant, and it only had a small number of tables and chairs - enough for maybe 5% of the total guests to sit at if the hotel was full (it was only about 40% full when we were there, and there still wasn't enough tables)! There are more chairs and tables up near reception, but no bar here, as both pool bars (which would actually be more convenient to go to for sitting out in the evenings) close promptly at 6.00 p.m. There is no lack of tables and chairs - it's just that none of them are in the right place!

The stage area is down the bottom near the beach, pretty much removed from either the restaurant or the bar. This means that you would have to walk to the main bar to get a drink, especially given that the hotel staff don't really seem geared up to waiter service for drinks (maybe they just don't think of this due to most of them being muslim and teetotal). Whenever there was any entertainment (for an hour or two at most coinciding with dinner), the staff would put rows of chairs out facing the stage. No tables would be put out, therefore you would have to put your drink on the floor if you didn't want to hold it, and it wasn't very sociable to be sitting in rows facing forward.

One night the hotel did actually put all of the restaurant's tables and chairs out and made us have our dinner out there, which was actualy very annoying given that it was so windy that our dinner was ruined by the table cloth and serviettes blowing into our plates of food, our food going cold, and my hair blowing into my face while I tried to eat! On the last night we were there, the staff put all of the tables and chairs up around the pool at the inland end of the hotel, where it is far more sheltered, and opened up the pool bar. This was by far the best dinner of the holiday - they should definitely do this more often. There was a nice ambience with candles on the tables, etc., and the wind died down to a brisk breeze up that end.

So, onto the food. Whilst the quality was adequate for "all inclusive", unfortunately 50% of all of the food served at lunch and dinner was Indian (perhaps because the hotel is owned and run by an Indian family, like most of the hotels on the Kenyan coast). There were even curried dishes for breakfast and, half way through the week, they had an Indian themed night when all of the food was Indian! Don't get me wrong, my partner and I like Indian food but a) we were in Africa not India, b) we discovered we really don't like eating Indian food for lunch and dinner every day, and c) it wasn't the greatest Indian food we have encountered (I have been to India twice). Following complaints from guests, the hotel chose not to reduce the Indian dishes at lunch time but they did have a Chinese themed night the following night (which made a change, I suppose) and, following requests, had a lovely Swahili themed night on the last night before we came home.

The main buffet restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is an Italian restaurant on the beach near the lower pool with a menu which was not included on "all inclusive" but did have a limited "all inclusive" selection which was available between 12.00 noon and 6.00 p.m. only. Neither of the pool bars served any food or snacks, so it was the main buffet restaurant or the Italian only for lunch. There is also another restaurant a little way down the beach which served Swahili food, and this did not have an "all inclusive" selection at all. Both of these restaurants seemed to serve good quality food, however they were fairly pricey (think London prices!) and clearly not subsidised at all, given that most guests are on "all inclusive".

In the afternoon, they set up a little service bar in one of the common areas which served quite nice pancakes and waffles, with a few little dry pieces of cake.

And that is it for the food! Breakfast until 10.30am, lunch 12.00 noon until about 2.30 p.m., and dinner at 7.30 p.m. until about 10.00 p.m. with the Italian serving a limited menu between 12.00 noon and 6.00 p.m. so if you're hungry between 10.30 a.m. and 12.00 noon, between 6.00 p.m. and 7.30 p.m. or after 10.00 p.m., tough luck. To be fair, the food was pleasant, but nowhere near as good as the food on offer at the Riu Garopa in Cape Verde, which was exceptionally good. Maybe we were spoilt in Cape Verde :-|

And so to the drinks. To call the drinks arrangements "all inclusive" is an exaggeration unfortunately. Somebody needs to explain to the hotel management what "all inclusive" means! My partner and I don't book an "all inclusive" holiday in order to down as much alcohol as we possibly can, but we do expect to be able to get a drink, especially a diet coke or a cup of coffee, when we fancy it without having to check if we are within the time limits or are at the right bar!

There is one cafe bar (which never has anybody in it) which sells all kinds of tea and coffee. Unfortunately, it isn't included on "all inclusive" as my partner discovered when he ordered a cappuccino at 10.30 a.m. on our first day and was expected to pay 240 Kenyan shillings for it (that is about £3.00)! In fact, none of the bars open until 11.00 a.m. which might be okay if this only related to alcohol, but it doesn't - no soft drinks, tea or coffee before 11.00 a.m. either, so make sure you fill up with plenty of drinks at breakfast!

In fact, they tried to tell me that only "full fat" coke was included on "all inclusive" and that I would have to pay for "diet coke" - my soft drink and mixer of choice! I had to take this up with the rep, who arranged for me (and I think only me, as I had to give my room number each time I asked for one) to have "diet coke" on "all inclusive". They also won't allow you to have bottles of water on "all inclusive" - you can only have a plastic cup of it from a water dispenser at the bar. It is still mineral water, as far as I was aware.

Then there is the other end of the day. The bar closes at 11.00 p.m. Well, that is to say they stop serving "all inclusive" soft or alcoholic drinks at 11.00 p.m. After that, you have to pay for them, which I suppose isn't really a problem as there are so few tables available near the main bar that nobody wants to stay up much longer than 11.00 p.m. due to the lack of atmosphere. To be honest, on the two nights we did stay longer than 11.00 p.m. and paid for drinks (expect to pay London prices for LOCAL drinks which is shocking for Africa!), they insisted on closing the bar completely before 12.00 midnight in any event, even to paying customers of which there were probably about eight left! They really, really do not want any guests staying up past midnight at all! The whole place was as quiet as a church every night after that! We didn't really want to party all night but hey, we were on holiday, we wouldn't have minded a couple of later nights, say to about 1.30 a.m.!

To be honest, this hotel isn't really "all inclusive" it is "full board plus". Thomson need to hold discussions with the hotel management, as it really is bordering on misrepresentation to describe it as "all inclusive". All we want to be able to do is have a glass of diet coke, a cup of coffee or maybe even half a lager whenever we feel like it without clock watching, for heaven's sake!

I appreciate that the above has been one long moan about this hotel, so I should point out that the landscape is fabulous, the pools were gorgeous, the private beach was beautiful with lots of palm trees and hammocks to lounge in, and the staff were really friendly and, in the main, attentive (apart from their drinks service). The animation team tried and tried to get everybody interested in activities (beach volleyball, aquarobics, water polo, etc.) although asking the same people who always said no again and again was a little bit silly, as they just managed to upset them. We joined in several times. Cosmos, who put towels out on our sunbeds every day and always moved our beds into the shade when we weren't there, was brilliant.

Our room was lovely. I had asked for a high floor (less ants) and the hotel had emailed back acknoweldging this only a few days beforehand, yet when we arrived, we were allocated a ground floor room. They did immediately move us when we referred them to our email. The room was large with a sofa and a chair, and the bed was fairly small but comfortable. There was an extra single bed in our room, but it didn't bother us. The cleaner came every morning, and then again in the evening to turn back the bed and draw the mosquito nets. The TV was pretty dire (but then we were in Africa so didn't expect any different!!) but we were more than happy with our room (it was a standard double).

A little tip, if you want to go in the sea, just be aware that there is a coral reef all the way along the Kenyan coast, and you will therefore need coral walkers or you will cut your feet to shreds and possibly get an anemone spike in your sole. This also means that water sports could result in a few scratches if you are prone to falling in! I found using the kayak was a challenge given that we paddled and paddled and paddled, and never actually went anywhere because of the wind, and I was worried about upending onto the coral, even with coral walkers on!

Another tip, don't forget the visa money which you pay at the airport on arrival and again when you leave. You can pay with English money and in fact it is better to do this going in (£30). Coming back, the rep told us it was £32.00 (we couldn't understand why $50 going out equated to £30 but apparently $40 coming back equated to £32), however they also took £30 going back and didn't worry about the £2. I suppose if you really wanted to save the pennies, you could pay in pounds going out and dollars coming back, but is it really worth it?

Lastly, it's a stark fact that Africans are poor, and the staff don't earn a lot. Just because you are on "all inclusive" doesn't mean you don't tip for service. Take English money, change it at the airport (we changed about £50.00 between us) or at the cashier's desk by reception, and tip 100 Kenyan shillings a time (about £0.80p) for drinks brought to you or at the end of meals, and perhaps give a larger sum (we gave 500 shillings) to anybody going over and above (like Cosmos) and to our cleaner at the end of the week. It really doesn't amount to much to us, but it means a lot to them. Also, if you remember to pack some cheap colouring books and coloured pencils or crayons, any staff with children will appreciate these, as they don't have anywhere near the variety of children's items that we have over there. Don't be surprised if they ask if you really want to take your branded sport or footie T-shirt or trainers home with you - they really covet them! If you do give anything other than monetary tips to staff, you will need to sign something so they don't get accused of stealing and lose their jobs.

Would we go back? Probably not, unless they sorted out the "all inclusive" and never again out of season. But we wouldn't go back mainly because there are thousands of other places we want to go, not because this is a bad hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wobijo
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Stayed 2 weeks at the Amani on an all inclusive basis, we booked a deluxe room which was weell set out, highly recommended as they are away from the pool bar area where all rooms overlook each other. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Having stayed at other Thomson Platinum resorts we would have to say this one is let down by the food selection and presentation. Very limited salad selection and often things that just did not go together. The 'a la carte' restaurants did however serve some excellent food albeit at a cost. The pizza bar/ restaurant did provide a an all inc menu at lunch time, this was also very good, athough parmasan cheese was not all inc. and only supplied if you purchased a meal. We concluded that they had some good chefs on a tight food budget.
Plus side loved the beach area peaceful and not overcrowded with a bar/restaurant at each end.
Our rep Mercy was fantastic and also very helpful, we stayed overnight at the Shimba Hills Lodge, quite a different experience built in a forest area.
The Amani needs to improve some aspects to keep a Platinum rating.

Room Tip: Go deluxe and ask to be in block 9, they are on two floors upper floor the better view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Of the numerous Kenyan Coast resorts at which we have stayed for the past 12 years, this may have been our favorite based on the overall experience. I could not have imagined a better relaxing resort experience that was designed to be family/kid friendly.

Our 7 year old had a blast, we had wonderful family time and yet through the Kids for All Amani programs, nanny services and other resort activities, my wife and I also had some quality time alone. The staff was on top of everything. Food was excellent with lots of choices.They have fries, pasta & meat live cooking stations every meal.

The Traditional dinner at the upper pool was top notch. Twice in two weeks stay we had this and without doubt the best. were the best meals we have had in the past few years....truly amazing and inspiring as to the way the resort focuses on sustainability within the local area. In the past year, we have enjoyed some of the best Hotels in Kenya, but Amani truly stands out and could not fault anything.My wife thought that the Beach experience at Amani was the best she has ever experienced. Truly romantic and tranquil. The pool was very clean and long! Absolutely fantastic with Kids pool aside. Wet bar were we also spent time in was great and staff very attentive and entertaining. All the staff are extremely helpful with nothing seem too much for them. Entertainment in the evening was good. I liked dancing after the shows and this worked well with me with some lessons on stage with the animation team. Day activities were spread out and we both liked the aerobics and beach volleyball. Swahili lessons, good idea-picked some words adding to my shallow dictionary :)

We are extremely picky travelers, and the Amani certainly was able to meet and exceed our lofty expectations. You will not be disappointed should you choose to stay at this resort.

We have already contacted Thomson to book the next stay later this year.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are amazing near the upper pool especially if you have a kid.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Alexander M
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Just came back after four days at the Amani. First of all it was a great vacation and we enjoyed the hotel. But there were a few negative aspects and depending on how much you have paid for the hotel I could see that those would range from minor to major. We got a very good deal so we felt we got very good value for the money but if we had paid a lot I think I would have been disappointed.

In short, plus column: Rooms, pool, free well-working wifi in the rooms, staff and beach if you are happy in your beach chair. Minus column: Food, beach for swimming and grounds/buildings.

Buildings, grounds and layout - I was not so keen on the look of the buildings and the grounds. The buildings with the rooms are in one big block of connected buildings surrounding the long pool. More functional than charming. The buildings are also all light beige so it is lacking color and makes it a bit ugly. Some color could help! The layout is pretty good though as it is easy to get around and nothing feels too far but yet not crammed. Grounds are a bit bare (presumably as a result of the big fire a couple of years ago but I am not sure it will change that much) so if you are looking for a very green place look elsewhere (or maybe give it a few years).

The rooms - Very, very nice and one of the highlights. We were in standard rooms (which included a seating area and TV) and the rooms were both very spacious, new and clean. Because of the layout of the buildings almost all the rooms face the pool and the ocean cannot be seen at all. One negative would be that the balcony is small. The bathroom is also small considering the size of the room.

Food - This was quite a disappointment. Breakfast was OK but dinner was quite bad. Little variety and a lot of it pretty sad looking and sad tasting food. Luckily we only had half board so we had a nice lunch elsewhere and as we were only here a few days we managed with the buffet at night.

Pool - Very, very nice. A long meandering pool with bigger areas at the top and at the bottom. Some activity at the bottom but quiet up top. Clean and a perfect temperature. Not crowded (at least when we were there) and all in all very pleasant.

Beach - Mixed feelings on this one. It was pretty and very good for relaxing on a beach chair. Plenty of chairs under palm trees (and no beach boys around!). Not good for swimming though. Lots of rocks (and some sea urchins!). You have to go past them to swim which is possible during low tide but still a bit of a hassle and a big disappointment for many. We did two snorkel trips at other beaches so we got our swiming elsewhere so for us it worked out fine but this is something to keep in mind if you are here a longer time and want to walk into the ocean. One thing that worked well was windsurfing. Perfect winds when we were there.

Staff - As many have said they were very nice. Friendly and easy going. Helpful and not too pushy. On our day of departure we got to borrow a room to take a shower after we had checked out. That was much appreciated!

Animation team: For the activities during the day they seemed fine but evening eneteriantment was just OK. We enjoyed the masaai performance but acrobatics and magic show was not great (we left after a short while). As many others have said the set up is also a little weird. I actually liked that it is a bit to the side so you do not feel compelled to have to join in. But it needs a more pleasant set up (the rows do not work for atmosphere and the performers are too far from the crowd) and it would be better if there was bar nearby (or at least little tables so you can bring your drinks)

Shops: There were three little shops with some clothes and souvenirs and I thought they were nice enough for this size hotel.

Check in and check out, and luggage handling (they kept our luggage while we went snorkeling on the last day) was easy and efficient for us.

Another bonus was well working wifi in the whole hotel and the rooms. I asked at many of the other (more expensive) hotels and they could not offer that so this was a great plus (if you intend to use internet during your vacation...).

I debated between giving it a 3 or a 4 and one reason for 3 was to off balance the many 5s I have seen :-). Also we got a really good deal (an offer as Kenyan residents) and considering what we paid the hotel deserved a 4 but if I had paid a lot more it would have to be a 3. In any case it is the type of place where you have to weigh the pros and cons and see what is important for you. If anyone has specific questions I am happy to try to answer them.

Room Tip: I really preferred 2nd or 3rd floor as first floor is too exposed to people walking by. Rooms closer...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family