“Amani Tiwi”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Ukunda
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Amani Tiwi”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Fantastic Hotel in a beautiful location, unspoilt beach where I felt safe to sunbathe, the beach boys weren't as bad as I thought and friendly even when we didn't want to buy. The staff at this hotel are the best I have ever met, couldn't fault anything. The food was excellent with a great variety to choose from, I think I put on weight I don't eat desert normally but I just had to try as every night looked and tasted great. The pool was as beautiful as the photos and the pool attendants very friendly. The bars were great again staff excellent, the entertainment staff were the best thanks guys you all made the holiday special and unforgettable. I shall be returning as soon as I can. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Linda N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London - UK
Reviewed 9 September 2013

After a tiresome journey, arriving at the Amani TBR was a pleasure with cold face cloths and a glass of fruit punch handed out. An introduction by the management team delivered before the all Inc bracelet attached.
Are room was located on the ground floor of block 5, not the best view in front of the baobab tree but comfortable and suited are requirements.
All the staff at this hotel needs a thank you, they are all constantly busy trying to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. In my view the a special thanks needs to go to the grounds staff and pool attendants where work tireless all day
The grounds are kept immaculate and the long swimming pool keeps the resort spread out so it never felt overly busy.
The beach was a slight disappointment with all the rock/coral being exposed at low time, (rock shoes required to walk out and take a beach boy to show you the different types of inhabitants of the rock pools). The beach boys did start to annoy us by the end of our holiday even our last stroll along the beach we are still followed by the same boys, same questions, same trinkets to buy. Although that said they are not forceful, just repetitive.
Food for us was average nothing special, the themed nights being the highlight
My main problem with the package is the All Inclusive; it’s not really what it says. The beer I can deal with, but the local spirits are used and some don’t exactly taste the same as premium brands. They have very restricted menu options and even the occasional night the Bella Vita was a set menu. The Sultans Dhow was closed and the Baharini was soulless.
Another gripe during our visit was the management of beverages, running out of ice, diet coke, tusker beer and how could you not have a pina colada on the All inc menus (saying that the bar staff still made then for you).
Would I go back again? … Maybe, but there are better places to go for the money we spent
PS, The free Wi-Fi is a big plus and is good enough for a decent Skype connection to the UK.
Instead of monetary tips we took out a number of children’s colouring books and gave them out to staff that went the extra mile for us.

3 Thank Elmstone
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

My partner and I spent two weeks at the Amani Tiwi in August 2013.
Positive:
-the staff are he friendliest you will meet. Nothing is too much trouble for them.
-the grounds are spacious, pretty and well maintained.
-the pool is large and clean.
-repelling mosquitoes is managed well with use of fumigation in bushes and rooms and the use of mosquito nets. (I only had two bites and that was on safari).
-deluxe rooms and spacious, clean and the beds are extremely comfortable.
-the entertainment is a good standard even though a little repetitious after a fortnight's stay.

And now the not so positives:
-the food was not as good as other all-inclusives a I have visited. Being on a vegetarian diet, I felt choice was very limited. The meat choices were not vast either. Disappointing.
-my partner and I both experienced 'Mombasa Express' symptoms and the only shared food we had the day previously was salad.
-if you were a 'paying' customer you are entitled to premium brand spirits. All inclusive guests are only allowed locally produced spirits.
-the snack bar served burger and fries as one of the options for All inclusive guests as well as paying guests. Big difference in quality. The paid burgers looked appetising and came served with salad in a bun as expected.
The all inclusive burger was a dry meat patty and when we asked where the bun was, they said as an all inclusive guest this was not on the menu.

Overall:
A lovely hotel with fantastic staff, however we often felt like a second class citizen when comparing the quality of food and drink we were offered compared to 'paying' guests. Perhaps the hotel management should note that all inclusive guests have actually paid, albeit upfront and should be entitled to the same quality food and drink.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Jacquime
Bromsgrove UK
Reviewed 7 September 2013

What a wonderful place. My family ( two boys 13 & 12 years , my wife & myself ) stayed here for two weeks starting 4th August 2013. The accommodation , food , pool and beach-side environment were absolutely superb located near the village of Tiwi. Above all else what stood out here were the people. Each and every one of them were so friendly and totally committed to making sure we all had a fantastic time. It was almost overwhelming. After experiencing the drive through Mombasa from the airport we were only too aware of the general quality of life for the majority of the inhabitants here but despite the poverty they still wanted us well-off westerners to have a great and memorable time which we certainly did . After-dinner entertainment every night provided a brilliant insight into African culture and we all loved it.
Our boys found lots of organised games to take part in with other holidaymakers while we adults sipped all-inclusive cocktails ( excellent “swim-up” bar at the top end ) and just relaxed in the warm equatorial climate. Each day was just perfect. Did a superb trip out to Diani beach for some snorkelling which was organised by the on-site sea sports facility ( Barracuda ) and Amos , the windsurfing instructor gave some excellent tuition on Tiwi beach to my sons who were complete novices. Even a birthday cake turned up made by the catering staff at the resort and delivered by our very helpful Thomson rep , Stacey for my son while we were in the departure lounge at Mombasa airport ! A truly superb and unforgettable fortnight for all of us.
Get some cash for the departure tax before you travel home. No cards accepted at the airport. No ATM at the resort – nearest in Diani which is a shuttle bus or taxi journey of around twenty minutes. I left it to the last moment and the first two ATMs at the airport would not give me any. Luckily the third one did. All a bit stressful while you are checking in !

Room Tip: Top end quieter ( blocks 4 ,5 ,6 ish ).
2 Thank John D
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Food is good throughout i.e Breakfast, Lunch, Tea time at 4 pm with superb cakes and pancakes, and of course dinner. Animation team is excellent. Families with kids, this is the place for a nice holiday.The Hotel has an excellent spread and very open. The only thing not pleasant were the mosquito nets. They can do better by installing bigger size than what was there. My next coast holiday is definitely Amani Tiwi Beach Resort.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have good view.
1 Thank Stallion2010
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I spent 5 days at Amani Tiwi with my 91 year old father and can only describe the experience as being spoilt by the staff. We were blown away by the beauty of the resort; the large pool spans almost the entire length of the resort! The staff accommodated our every whim, ensuring that my father was comfortable. The rooms were very clean and the staff ever smiling and friendly referring to us on a name basis. The food was great and varied. With three restaurants on the beach it was always a choice between great and great... though the sea-food restaurant 'The Dhow' was under-going renovations and we did not get a chance to sample food from it. There's free Wi-Fi and gym facilities.
It is a little secluded, so it will cost something extra to go out and explore if you're into that sort of thing (we did a game drive to Shimba Hills). But they make up for it by having shops, three restaurants, a café, a bar, games on site (pool, Ping-Pong and tennis) and an in house spa and beauty center. Had an excellent stay. Would definitely go back... Already missing the hammocks on the beach.

1 Thank angela m
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

After a journey across on the Likoni ferry and then a bus ride we arrived at the beautiful Amani Tiwi Beach Resort. It was stunning! The hotel spreads out over a vast area, it's has very well tended gardens, great food, excellent rooms, choice of bars and a spa. I had the best ever Pedicure there that I have ever had, despite having very ticklish feet and giggling all the way through it! The only downside was the overpowering animation team who could not or would not take no for an answer. We would go back though.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ukunda
Southern Palms Beach Resort
#2 of 58 in Mombasa
The Sands At Chale Island
The Sands At Chale Island
#3 of 29 in Diani Beach

Been to Amani Tiwi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!