“Out of this World!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Ukunda
Worthing, UK
“Out of this World!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel and staff are both amazing. We were overwhelmed by the location and the attention to detail from the staff, not to mention the friendliness of the staff at the resort.

Matata, Benny, Kevin, Peter, Nicky B, Janet, James and Moses were particularly amazing and made our holiday even more special just by being friendly, helpful, warm and welcoming.

We can't wait to come back and see everyone again and miss it so much!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank VickyRuss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Having returned from our 16 night trip on the 12/11/13, I thought I would think about my review before just jumping in. I'll start with some of the few positives. The staff simply make the place what it is, they are always friendly, smiley and wanting to make your holiday the best you've ever had. A few special shout outs to Matata, Kevin, Benny & Yvonne. We were placed in block 6 to begin with, and was massively disappointed with the mouldy shower curtain and shower-head falling off when you touched it, so we decided to upgrade ($30 a night) just so we wouldn't be disappointed everytime we went back to the room! We were put in block 8, and it was a much better experience, nice spacious bed, sofa, walk in shower. The only thing I would comment on was the tightness of water, just 1 bottle? Come on!

The biggest let down for us was the food. Maybe because we were comparing it to the Sensatori in Mexico the year before? No. It was just awful. The meat was always cremated, unless it was the special Africa night where they would cook it in front of you and therefore get them to stop before it was too late! There was a real lack of variety at lunch, the all inclusive a la carte menu had about 4/5 dishes on it, and the buffet was lacking any sort of imagination. It was the same dishes over and over, and if it didn't get used at lunch, it was there for dinner!

We never experienced any problems with the drinks, except for occasionally running out of limes due to our addiction to "dawa" - try it, you'll love it!
The beach was nice until you got to the huge amounts of seaweed, and coral. This made it pretty impossible to walk or swim out, recommendations of a jetty were made to the management in a cocktail party to solve this, and were "being looked into"

The location of the hotel isn't great if you want to go out exploring or to the local towns, taxi's are expensive if you go on or own, 4000 shillings! Talk to the beach boys, we got them down to 2500 for a morning of shopping round Diani.

The grounds are immaculate and so are the facilities within the hotel. There isn't an ATM not can the onsite "money exchange" shop let you withdraw shillings using your card, they will change sterling however, so make sure you take enough money or you will have to go out to the local banks.

My biggest gripe with Thomson about this hotel is the way it is advertised. Quite clearly on the Thomson website it says that you do not need to pay for the other restaurants (other than the buffet) - well that's completely false, you do have to pay (but do receive a small 20% discount though) And the Sultan Dhow was closed! It's complete mis-advertising.

All in all, Thomson really need to get there fingers out here to make a few SMALL changes that would make this one of the best hotels in Kenya.

1. Food - more variety, train the chefs to cook meat correctly.
2. Beach - a jetty of some kind so people can use it to snorkel and swim off.
3. Rooms - the standard rooms need a bit of TLC to bring them up to a 4* standard
4. Location - not a lot you can do here, but a free bus from the hotel to the town every day would be helpful?
5. Stop mis-selling the hotel on your website, It will get you into a lot of trouble!

Amani Tiwi Beach Resort. 6/10.

Room Tip: Block 8, 9 and 10 are the premium rooms. We recommend but they do come at a cost!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark D
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stop! stop! stop! all the negative reviews about this hotel please. Everyone at this hotel works so very hard in hoping that you will have a good holiday. Which we did. We have just returned after 16 nights at Amani Tiwi Beach Resort.(19/10 - 5/11/13) From the welcome to the end we have had fantastic, happy, smiley people who are here to make your stay so good. I must congratulate you all from front desk who if you have any problems sort it out straight away. The pool guys who are out very early cleaning the bottom of the pool & getting your favourite spot everyday with clean towels - Thank you Masoud & Freedom. Matata who is the lovely happy chappy around the pool bar. Who even bought you a drink when on the edge of the pool, so you could keep cool. Yvonne & Rose the lovely ladies awaiting you at the Buffet Restaurant everyday for breakfast/lunch/dinner. The lovely people on the beach at the italian restaurant whom unfortunately have to tell us that not ordered enough food so certain items not available. So I spoke with the reception to report to Managers & amazing how steak was back on the menu for everyone. Especially the A/I people. I say this as if you have a problem in any resort if you report it you will soon find they sort it out. Not wait until you get back home & moan about it on here. It does put some people off going to a fantastic hotel & staff. Also thankyou Joyce, Bernadetta, Issa & those we have also forgotten - for this we are so sorry as you all deserve a mention. Also a Big thankyou for the lovely Animation Team who worked so hard trying to make you feel happy wen the response was quite poor. I felt so sorry for them as they were all friendly, happy with amazing smiley faces. The warmth from them was wonderful. My husband did arobics on the beach everyday with Peter & pool arobics with Matano & the lovely girls who once again I can't remember their names (sorry it's my old age....lol) The shows were average all except the Animation Teams who put so much hard work with such low audience response, were very good. They made you feel happy just watching them. They all gave 100% which is unusual with a Animatin Team. You usually find some of them don't. Well done Kenya & we shall remember this forever! Everybody here made you feel good - Even the security guard every morning & evening spoke. Even if it was just Jumbo. The gardeners even smiled & when spoken too were all very friendly.

The beach was like Paradise with a lovely quiet relaxed setting. Yes the beach did have sea weed everywhere when the tide was out. That is why this hotel unfortunately only gets 4 star & not 5 star rating. I agree when we went for our daily walk down the beach yes the beach boys did come up to you trying to sell you something. We just explained we were going for a walk on our own, we have a wrist band saying all inclusive so we have no money & they were fine. Left you alone & wished you a nice walk & to be careful if you go in the water of the sea urchans. We lived with it & just swam in the beautiful long pool they had with bar down each end & a couple of small slides.

Kenya is a very poor country & rely on our generocity. If you feel you do not want to tip it is upto you but how can you not when they go that extra mile to make sure you enjoy yourself on holiday. If you love happy, helpful, smiley people who want you to enjoy your holiday I recommend this hotel.

The only reason I agree with it being 4 Star + & not 5 Star is The beach which is not their fault but something which is their fault is they have a Foreign Exchange open 24 hours but never have any money for change or to exchange. This I did find annoying as we wanted to change up money for small change to tip the excellent staff. As management don't care to much for you getting money changed I suggest you either bring enough from England or just exchange when you go out. Anywhere loves taking English Currency or Dollars.

Must just mentioned we chose this for my husbands 65 birthday. He thoroughly enjoyed it & we did a 4 day safari at the Masa Mara with Glorious Safaris. Much Cheaper than Thomsons & also the service was excellent. Even though I was a little doubtful about the 10% in english bank account & pay the rest on arrival (like we did just incase it went wrong) we had no need at all. We were met by one of Shadrack's worker Jackie who explained everything wonderfully & we stayed at the Ashnil Camp which was great! We were also very lucky to have a Driver called Francis Jones who made our game drives - Thankyou to each & everyone of you in Kenya for a fab holiday.

Room Tip: We upgraded to deluxe room & was not disappointed. Block 9. We were close to the beach & r...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ladywells
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

We have travelled to Kenya many times and mostly stayed in the Diani Reef hotel and Spa. However the drinks have become so expensive there that this time we decided to go "all inclusive" at the Amani Tiwi. The hotel is spacious and well laid out, the rooms are clean and the staff very kind and friendly (especially Shadrack). Thats the positives out of the way. The beach was horrendous covered in lots of sea weed, but I accept this may be seasonal. The "all inclusive" only includes local drinks and very often the bar staff had run out of the basics - we asked if we could pay for the branded drinks but were told at first by one of the managers that this was not possible(even though they were clearly displayed on the bar). This resulted in unpleasant / unprofessional confrontation with the general manager and the food and beverages manager the following morning. Following this they allowed us to have the branded drinks if they were unable to provide the local drinks. Enough said! It felt as though there was a clear distinction between the service received by the "all inclusive" guests and the "non all inclusive". The food was "OK" but in the restaurants on the beach it was often cold. The hotel is quite a way outside the resort and taxi's to Ukunda were quite expensive, however its not too far to walk down the beach but beware of the tide coming in and having to cross the river.

My review - its all inclusive on the cheap - sorry guys

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RAdams
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Great stay at Amani Tiwi Beach Resort. Staff are friendly and helpful, and the hotel and rooms are always kept clean and tidy. Had a great holiday!
Good choice of food, good entertainment (needed other guests to join in if Entertainment Team could complete a full activity list), daytime bar staff are excellent, especially Matata!
Agree with similar comment that it not quite at the Thompson Platinum level yet, as sometimes they did run out of drinks and food at the other restaurants. Also, there should have been a shuttle bus to book if wanted to go out of town, but this did not exist so had to pay £8 per person for a taxi - irrelevant of where you were going to or how many passengers there were. The beach is not the greatest, but if you walk 5 minutes either way, there is nice sandy beach with clear waters. We stayed near the pool each week so it did not matter - pool is great - two large pools with long lane between the two which is good for a relaxing afternoon swim, and can slide down on the slides on the way back :-)
All in all a great holiday!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ajboing
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We loved our stay at the amani tiwi, staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Though the bar staff at night did take poli poli to the extreme( slowly slowly) and they did run out of beer and wine on the first night. If you go down to the pool bar matata is excellent. Joseph is the man that will look after you in the dinning hall.
we took my husbands mum with us and some of the staff were a little over friendly, but yuri is fantastic, and very helpful.

Room Tip: Block 7 still has fans as well as air con, which is a bonus
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank whites52
Nairobi, Kenya
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have never had to write a negative review on any hotel over the many years we have visited the coast of Kenya, but this, this was one of those holidays where you go and cannot wait to return back home! I'll start with the positives because there were a few. The grounds were well kept and very clean while we were there. The entertainment staff and staff at the bar and pool were also excellent and friendly.

The bad, from the reception - very COLD welcome from the ladies at the front desk both during check-in and check-out. They didn't even bid us goodby other than taking our keys! We were not informed about some things until the very last day when we were leaving (by other staff) because the information was never provided to us. For instance we didn't know we were entitled to free food for out son at the Kahawa restaurant in the evenings (before main dinner is served as he was asleep by then). No information in the hotel room on the services, no welcome notes nothing.

Moving on, the restaurant staff were simply horrible! We travelled with our one year old, besides the first day when we went to the restaurant and were brought for a high chair and asked what drinks we'd like, the rest of our stay was just a bag of irritation. No one ever brought us a high chair, we had to walk around the dining looking for one (yet there were waiters just standing doing nothing at times!) Once I requested one of them to help push one to where we were (we had to sit furthest away from the buffet because of my son) he went and never came back. I was constantly walking round to drag a high chair to where we were sitting. Regardless of whether we sat on a table with a high chair already or dragged one from elsewhere, the chairs were never cleaned! They were always a sticky mess with food droppings from the last meal of whoever had used it. Once I saw one of those head waiters wiping it after we had left by just swiping it once with a napkin! Apalling! No water, nothing! I complained but noticed no change!

Then the issue of the drinks...50% of the time no one ever came to our table to offer us anything. Once my husband had come earlier for breakfast alone with our son, he requested for tea and the waiter told him that it was self-service for that day. Really??? Honestly he was alone with a one year old how hard is it to just get him a cup of tea??? Not long after the two other couples sitted on our right were served tea (one couple was actually a friend of ours and said they had just requested as usual and got it brought to them by the waiter)!!!

Generally the staff at the restaurant were a nightmare. I ordered 2 icecreams one day from just outside the restaurant where the station is. There were no cups to serve the icecream so the waiter went to get. I waited a cool 10 minutes. He comes back with just one. Serves then says he's going to get another. He came back in another 15 minutes!!! By the time I was getting the second ice-cream the first was half melted already!!! What a nightmare! Why advertise ice-cream and not keep your cups nearby to serve???

My only qualm about the pool bar is I ordered fruit punch/juice (non-alcoholic) as I wanted it for my son. The waiter went and mixed for us packet juices (not fresh juice) then he comes back and says he brought us the cheapest juice. Who asked for cheap juice??? Why not ask what we want first?

This hotel was so promising I had such high expectations from photos of the place but for sure, NEVER AGAIN! I have never felt so unwelcome on any holiday I've been to in the last many decades. This one takes the cup!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vicky N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ukunda
Diani Sea Resort
Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 30 in Diani Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,439 reviews

Been to Amani Tiwi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!