“Awesome”

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Mopti
More attraction details
Owner description: The 150-kilometer-long sandstone escarpment has served as home to the Dogon people, believed to be one of the oldest surviving African cultures.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Loved trekking in the Dogon Country - beautiful sites, friendly locals, and fascinating architecture.

Some tips: bring a wee bit of your own food, just in case you're not a fan of what the locals are eating. Also, this is one trip where you definitely need a guide.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank CorconianInGlasgow

Seoul, South Korea
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“It's good, but for how long?”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Dogon Country was supposed the highlight of Mali trip.. and yes it was an amazing site. Rocky mountains, mud brick villages built on the rocks and up high.. and the traditional villages in between. They were all very nice and Dogon masked dances were special as well. But I think about 3 days in Dogon is good enough time. After a while all the village visit gets little stale. They are nice, but village after village most of them are the same, don't have any unique characteristics. They are all westernised in some ways as well, so it's not exactly like you feel as though you're in 'another world.' Except for the architecture that is unique to this region, village life and people there are pretty much what you will see in any other African villages. And sure the kids are nice, but they're all like that in any African countries as well. I mean, in which African country you do not see children running to you asking for pictures.

Now I might seem like I'm being skeptical, but really, I am now. I throughly enjoyed my visit in Dogon, and I recommend you go if you visit Mali. All I want to do is put little bit of realistic perspective into this. In the end, I'd give 3 days to explore the area, I think that will be plenty of time enough to see what the region has to offer.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank kchae
San Francisco Peninsula
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“Amazing site, and an amazing story”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Bombara Tours arranged our visit, providing a car, driver (Amadu - the best!) and guide (Mohammad, also very good). The expansive landscape en route from Mopti was breathtaking, and the escarpment and their dwellings are tremendously impressive, both visually and because of their history. (To escape invaders and maintain animist beliefs and traditions.) We visited 3 villages over 2 days: Tireli, where we saw a traditional mask dance ceremony (the best local dance show we've seen, anywhere! - vibrant and passionate) and we took a short hike through the village up the mountain face to see how people there live. We visited Bongo where we saw an amazing natural tunnel, and we were sung to by the village children. The second day we visited Nyongonon, perched on hill tops, looks amazing. Lastly, we visited Songo where we walked through the village and arrived at a huge recess with wall paintings related to male circumcision ritual. While there, we learned about the ritual and we were able to ask some young men about their month long experience at the time of their circumcisions.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank lsmkw
London, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The vastness, sand beneath my feet - seeing village life at first hand. Lovely people. Bought some interesting art work.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank laraBton
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“A magical place”
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Was there in 2009. The Dogon Country was well worth the difficulties getting there and the rustic accommodations. It is a world apart and I still dream of going back. Unfortunately, it looks like it is no longer safe/possible to go there. If anyone has recent info on the well being of the villages in and around Sangha and the escarpment, please post.

Visited February 2012