“the worst place on our 10-day trip”

Kasbah Hotel Xaluca Arfoud
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Erfoud
Reviewed 16 November 2013

really hated this place. our guide said it was the best hotel in Merzouga area. that's a shame. Staff was unfriendly...not even a smile or thanks when gave a big tip. pool was mediocre. drinks were flat and obviously old. front desk unfriendly and wouldn't even give any change. really?? of everything...the food sucked. really bad buffet. found little quality food there. rooms were dark and the WIFI didn't work in the rooms. overall....I was super happy to get picked up and get out of there. try anywhere else.

Room Tip: get a room where they can guarantee wifi. good luck...i doubt any do.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thinairman

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We arrived quite late at this hotel but check in was quite quick. It seems to be huge and rambling. I loved all the rugs covering the walkways, inside and out. The rooms are good but too dim. The hotel almost has a Tex Mex look to the decor which surprised me a little. Vast buffet at dinner and breakfast had okay food.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travellingmum0
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We recently stayed one night, with a group of 6 other friends. The rooms were very interesting and welcoming. They almost gave you the feeling of being on an African safari. The complimentary fruit basket was an appreciated touch. The kasbah had a beautiful and very refreshing outdoor pool and an indoor one, which included a jacuzzi. Well kept grounds with several date trees. Excellent breakfast and dinner buffet with many choices.Good service at the table by amiable staff. Complimentary, though spotty wi-fi ( a problem encountered everywhere in Morocco). Great place to spend a night or two. Recommended!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank trvlbufElmhurst
Reviewed 30 October 2013

At last on our tour a very welcoming Kasbah. Very interesting room with plenty of character. The grounds were also full of interesting things round every corner. The pools looked great and they were warm. Just wished we had time to take a dip. We would have loved to stay longer here.

Room Tip: Unfortunately we did not see any other rooms. But where we were it was quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Susan J
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Welcomed by singers and dancers and mint tea which was most welcome after a long drive. A real Kasbah style hotel with much character. Rooms also had a local character with berber styled rugs and furniture. Lighting in the room was 'atmospheric' but adequate for reading in bed. Food and service was excellent and I fouind it hard to fault the hotel even if the treatment may have been a little faux.

Room Tip: Each room, I understand, was slightly different although I did not get to see others. If you go to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lebaron2013
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Welcomed by singers and dancers and offered a welcome drink of mint tea, a first for Morocco! Complex is interesting, although with only 1 night here not much time to explore. Our room was full of character, made to look like a Berber room, with walls painted in terracotta, and local bedspreads and curtains, giving it an ethnic feel. Lighting levels were very low, and you only had one small window. Bathrooms had a fantastic washbasin hewn out of stone with polished ammonites surrounding it. Not necessarily very practical, as there wasn't a flat surface to stand things on, but very attractive. Shower worked well with plenty of hot water. Food very good and plenty of choice and sufficient to go around. Pool area pleasant, but a lot of building work was going on even on the Sunday that we stayed there, so it was pretty noisy until they stopped.

Room Tip: Most rooms are on ground floor level, but can be a long way from the restaurant, so check if you hav...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GillH007_12
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I would love to give this hotel 5 stars, but I couldn't....
Pros:
Exotically decorated, if not a little bit overdone.
Beautiful grounds, including the pool area.
Restaurant served decent food.
Staff - friendly.
Cons:
Rooms are all poorly lit. I understand these rooms are all decorated a little bit different from the other, but a little more light wouldn't hurt anyone.
My room was dirty and dusty, and I mean dusty.
Mattress was very hard ( and I am someone who prefers firm over soft mistresses, but this was was a little bit too hard). I spent my night on the sofa, which was way more comfortable, truth be told.
There were no additional electrical outlets in my room. I had to unplug one of my lamps to be able to charge my small electronics, hence more darkness!
Lastly, do not go barefoot once in the room, the floor is dusty( understandable because we are close to the desert), but I found a dead scorpion close to my bathroom rug!!! This scared me out of my wits and I had to strip my bed to look for other creepy crawlies.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank c c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erfoud
Palm's Hotel Club
#8 of 13 in Erfoud
Auberge  Derkaoua
Auberge Derkaoua
#19 of 22 in Merzouga

Been to Kasbah Hotel Xaluca Arfoud? Share your experiences!