“Clean and Safe” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prince Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Prince Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kano
Lagos, Nigeria
“Clean and Safe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was in Kano for two nights and decided to stay in the supposed best place in town.
Having lived in the city many years ago I was well familiar with the hotel and environment.
Apparently because of the security situation, the hotel has developed a few red flags that guests will find odd.
Firstly, I drove in from Kaduna- 240km away- in a coloured taxi. I was not allowed to go past the first gate which is about 30 meters from the hotel. I needed to get down from the cab and walk with my luggage. It was 34 degrees outside and not comfortable.
The guards insisted that coloured taxis were not allowed even for guests with a reservation.
I insisted on driving in as there was no sign to confirm the so called law and was allowed by the guard's supervisor eventually.
I thereafter made an official complaint to the GM, Mr. Chukri who had just resumed at the hotel a week before according to him.
He promised to look into the situation and make corrections. He was quite a charming guy and I believe this will be addressed.
Secondly, the internet service on the ground floor did not work. Since you have to pay for the service, I felt cheated as I was not told when the service was sold to me since they knew my room was on the ground floor. I was advised to go upstairs to use the service as computers are not allowed in the lobby or bar or reception.
There were no rooms available upstairs either so I ended up with my phone standing in the lobby browsing.
Fourthly, I ordered dinner from the Calypso restaurant for delivery to my room. Room delivery is expected to cost an extra but I was surprised that in addition to the room delivery cost, a service charge was also included as if I had the meal in the restaurant.
I protested to the Manager and this was eventually dropped.
Finally, the hotel needs to be fumigated as my sleep was interrupted several times with mosquitoes. I thought it was a one off but on my way out in the morning, I overheard the cleaners asking some other guests who probably have been long in the hotel if they didn't have mosquito problems the night before like in they did in the past.

I think the hotel is taking undue advantage and Mr. Chukri needs to look at these issues.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the generator as main electricity goes out very frequently and the generator...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kendal, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

At times like these, security is the only thing that really matters in a Kano hotel. As visitors we cannot tell how real the threat is, but perceptions are important and we are not going to sleep well if we feel we are not protected. Especially if our nationality might mark us out as a particular target.

The Prince does not do badly on this front. The compound is well sealed with a single entrance manned by armed guards. I would have preferred sliding rather than inward-opening swing gates, to provide better protection against ram-raiders. But it is well-located and in general I felt secure.

The rooms are just about adequate, the restaurant pretty creditable, though over-chilled. I don't like having to pay for wifi in a hotel in 2013, but the rates were not too high. The terrace cafe is a very pleasant place to take some refreshment outside before dinner. And the real treasure is the well-kept swimming-pool, on the small side, but delightfully cool and clean.

The room key question mentioned elsewhere is irritating. It would not be difficult for the reception to warn guests that they won't get their rooms cleaned if they don't leave the key. Why don't they do it?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank OliverWates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Second night, came back from a very long tiring day found the room was not made. Called reception and told that I should drop the key at the reception if I want the room to be made. The reception even raised his very rude voice that I should wait for an hour to have the room cleaned. Very unprofesional... They should do something about it..
This is not the value I am expecting with their high room pricing.
Security wise is very good,
I will visit Kano regularly but I will put this hotel on my last preference.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

I went to Kano on business, and considering the security situation in the north, my family was a bit skeptical of the trip. I carefully searched for a hotel on tripadvisor as is my practice and discovered this oasis in the desert, bit expensive but well worth the price. The food is quite good and service was up to speed, staff was very helpful. Enjoyed the entire 3 nights stayed. Will use the place again when in Kano.

Room Tip: I stayed in the executive section which was quite expansive internally and quiet all through, day or...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Prince has maintained their rooms and exteriors. What remains is to add value by providing some self entertainment within the rooms and the hotel. Notably because guests may spend more time in their rooms and the hotel environs while in Kano.

Room Tip: Rooms at the extreme end of the first floor, atop the restaurant, are located close to the swimming...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Victor O
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Prince Hotel is basically built around its car park - although there is a strict policy of no noise and it doesn't present a problem. The compound is secure with efficient and professional 'Halogen' guard force.
This is not cheap, however, this is Nigeria and you are paying 5-star prices for a good 3-star hotel. That said, it is worth it for the local area. It currently is the only real western standard hotel in Kano - the Dip community use it, as do the well-heeled locals.
Rooms above the restaurant are fine, as are the suites in the courtyard. I cannot comment on the main block rooms. The restaurant is OK and the food more than edible and clean - a very Lebanese theme running through everything. They have a decent, if not expensive, selection of wines.
The pool outside is great; cold but great! You can also get food and drinks served out there. Unusually for Africa, the restaurant is non-smoking also. A good clean hotel with decent food and security. Not bad for northern Nigeria.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Travelists
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

So far this is the best hotel I've stayed in in northern Nigeria.

It's very clean, the food is ok (and some of it's good) and safe to eat (including the salads and fruit), and the staff are friendly generally very helpful. There are beautiful gardens that are well tended and full of birds. There's a patio shaded by flowering trees where it's possible to get a drink (alcoholic and non-) and food, and there's a pool surrounded by trees.

In a country where security is an issue, this hotel is surrounded by a wall and there are guards inside and around the hotel.

However, the 4 star rating is relative - the Prince is much better than a pretty dire bunch. The downside includes incredibly slow service at breakfast and a limited menu that can feel a bit monotonous (though again - immeasurably better than some places I've stayed!). The hotel is largely tiled and regularly cleaned, which means it can be very slippery. Two colleagues have fallen in slippery bathrooms and they're still complaining about it! Nothing appears to have been done to deal with these safety issues. The rooms above reception in the main building are small dark cells with rock-hard beds - try to avoid them if you're staying for longer than a night. The suites and rooms over the restaurants are much bigger, brighter and better.

But all in all, this hotel is one of the reasons I'm happy to stay in Kano.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the small rooms in the main building. Try the suites or rooms over the restaurant...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business