“SAFE PLACE TO SLEEP”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kano
Lagos, Nigeria
“SAFE PLACE TO SLEEP”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I visit Kano every 2-3 months and I stay there for 1-2 nights. Everybody is very kind and ready to serve you. For guests who had spent lot of time in West Africa the standards of this hotel are above average. The rooms are big, clean but sometimes mosquitos are more than enough.
Calypso restaurant is the only decent one in Kano for European food. Quality isn't Michelin level but is still ok.
Internet is very slow. There is a small, clean swimming pool and they offer towels.
The most important thing is that Prince is the only safe place to sleep in Kano so for those who visit Kano for business this is more than enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa at Plateau sector.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Apapadim

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was in Kano for two nights and decided to stay in the supposed best place in town.
Having lived in the city many years ago I was well familiar with the hotel and environment.
Apparently because of the security situation, the hotel has developed a few red flags that guests will find odd.
Firstly, I drove in from Kaduna- 240km away- in a coloured taxi. I was not allowed to go past the first gate which is about 30 meters from the hotel. I needed to get down from the cab and walk with my luggage. It was 34 degrees outside and not comfortable.
The guards insisted that coloured taxis were not allowed even for guests with a reservation.
I insisted on driving in as there was no sign to confirm the so called law and was allowed by the guard's supervisor eventually.
I thereafter made an official complaint to the GM, Mr. Chukri who had just resumed at the hotel a week before according to him.
He promised to look into the situation and make corrections. He was quite a charming guy and I believe this will be addressed.
Secondly, the internet service on the ground floor did not work. Since you have to pay for the service, I felt cheated as I was not told when the service was sold to me since they knew my room was on the ground floor. I was advised to go upstairs to use the service as computers are not allowed in the lobby or bar or reception.
There were no rooms available upstairs either so I ended up with my phone standing in the lobby browsing.
Fourthly, I ordered dinner from the Calypso restaurant for delivery to my room. Room delivery is expected to cost an extra but I was surprised that in addition to the room delivery cost, a service charge was also included as if I had the meal in the restaurant.
I protested to the Manager and this was eventually dropped.
Finally, the hotel needs to be fumigated as my sleep was interrupted several times with mosquitoes. I thought it was a one off but on my way out in the morning, I overheard the cleaners asking some other guests who probably have been long in the hotel if they didn't have mosquito problems the night before like in they did in the past.

I think the hotel is taking undue advantage and Mr. Chukri needs to look at these issues.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the generator as main electricity goes out very frequently and the generator...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

At times like these, security is the only thing that really matters in a Kano hotel. As visitors we cannot tell how real the threat is, but perceptions are important and we are not going to sleep well if we feel we are not protected. Especially if our nationality might mark us out as a particular target.

The Prince does not do badly on this front. The compound is well sealed with a single entrance manned by armed guards. I would have preferred sliding rather than inward-opening swing gates, to provide better protection against ram-raiders. But it is well-located and in general I felt secure.

The rooms are just about adequate, the restaurant pretty creditable, though over-chilled. I don't like having to pay for wifi in a hotel in 2013, but the rates were not too high. The terrace cafe is a very pleasant place to take some refreshment outside before dinner. And the real treasure is the well-kept swimming-pool, on the small side, but delightfully cool and clean.

The room key question mentioned elsewhere is irritating. It would not be difficult for the reception to warn guests that they won't get their rooms cleaned if they don't leave the key. Why don't they do it?

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank OliverWates
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Second night, came back from a very long tiring day found the room was not made. Called reception and told that I should drop the key at the reception if I want the room to be made. The reception even raised his very rude voice that I should wait for an hour to have the room cleaned. Very unprofesional... They should do something about it..
This is not the value I am expecting with their high room pricing.
Security wise is very good,
I will visit Kano regularly but I will put this hotel on my last preference.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I went to Kano on business, and considering the security situation in the north, my family was a bit skeptical of the trip. I carefully searched for a hotel on tripadvisor as is my practice and discovered this oasis in the desert, bit expensive but well worth the price. The food is quite good and service was up to speed, staff was very helpful. Enjoyed the entire 3 nights stayed. Will use the place again when in Kano.

Room Tip: I stayed in the executive section which was quite expansive internally and quiet all through, day or...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Prince has maintained their rooms and exteriors. What remains is to add value by providing some self entertainment within the rooms and the hotel. Notably because guests may spend more time in their rooms and the hotel environs while in Kano.

Room Tip: Rooms at the extreme end of the first floor, atop the restaurant, are located close to the swimming...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Victor O
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Prince Hotel is basically built around its car park - although there is a strict policy of no noise and it doesn't present a problem. The compound is secure with efficient and professional 'Halogen' guard force.
This is not cheap, however, this is Nigeria and you are paying 5-star prices for a good 3-star hotel. That said, it is worth it for the local area. It currently is the only real western standard hotel in Kano - the Dip community use it, as do the well-heeled locals.
Rooms above the restaurant are fine, as are the suites in the courtyard. I cannot comment on the main block rooms. The restaurant is OK and the food more than edible and clean - a very Lebanese theme running through everything. They have a decent, if not expensive, selection of wines.
The pool outside is great; cold but great! You can also get food and drinks served out there. Unusually for Africa, the restaurant is non-smoking also. A good clean hotel with decent food and security. Not bad for northern Nigeria.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business