“OK- not bad for Pointe Noire”

Hotel Victory Palace
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Pointe Noire
Grand Cayman
“OK- not bad for Pointe Noire”
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Ok room - was moved here when the government decided to occupy the Hotel Madiba and kick everyone out of their room. Definitley not as nice as the Madiba hotel but ok enough. In Central Pointe Noire.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank GreggWatkins

Families
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I found myself unexpectedly in the Rep. of Congo on a research trip. We stayed in this hotel for four days. My room was fine; it was spacious enough and had a television. It may have been unoccupied for a while because it could have been much cleaner. After a day or so, as the cleaners came in, it seemed tidier, especially the bathroom. The toilet didn't flush properly, but I figured out that lifting the lid was the answer. (Reporting the problem to the front desk didn't result in anything being done.)

We had dinner once at the hotel restaurant, which we quite enjoyed. Breakfasts were also good, with a nice selection.

I don't quite know how to rate this hotel. In the context of a poor country like the Congo, it was a relief to be able to stay here. My rating reflects that. If it were held up to international standards, however, it would be rated lower.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank SkyeTraveler
Rio de Janeiro
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Considering I was in Pointe Noire, Congo, I didn't have many expectations from hotels. But the Victory Palace follows international standards, the room is spacious and clean, it has a good restaurant, and right in the main street of Pointe Noire. It's a little expensive, though, as you would've expect from high standard locations in Africa.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank jnaveiro
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 4 March 2008

This was my first trip to the Congo (Pointe-Noire) and I stayed at the Victory Palace hotel. We had dinner in their restaurant. I was not expecting much, what I surprise! The food is prepared by a Gabonese chef who must have studied under one of the greatest chefs in France. Although I can't specifically remember what I ordered (a grilled stuffed tomato appetizer and a lamb dish, among others, it was all magnificent!
The biggest surprise was the wine list! As Louis Pasteur said,"wine is the perfect food!" When I looked at the wine list, the first item I randomly saw was a 1997 Chateau D"Yquem"! When I looked at the reds, they had a Chateau Petrus ('99), among others! In all, it was a 10-15 page list of some of the best wines I have ever seen, or drunk. You could not find most of them in ANY 5 star restaurant in New York! I ordered a somewhat more modest selection for the table(7) as I was the guest ;)

The Hotel is a renovated colonial style villa/embassy? It only has duplex suites, complete with flat panel tvs and satellite. A pleasant surprise that I wont forget for a long time.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)