“Beautiful way to see the country…but a serious cycle”
Review of Rwandan Adventures

Rwandan Adventures
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Gisenyi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Rwandan Adventures Ltd offers private biking and walking tours across Rwanda, including the Congo Nile Trail (Gisenyi), the Twin Lakes (Musanze), Lake Muhazi (near Akagera Park), Kigali City Tour and a 9 day Round Rwanda Tour. We also organise personalised itineraries to suit your interests and available time. Get in touch with us for more information.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband and I (both 30 years old) had a wonderful time biking through the hills surrounding Lake Kivu. We had a wonderful guide, though he didn't speak English, but he was a nice guy. I would just warn people that this ride is no walk in the park. I work out at least 5 days a week, usually more, and would consider myself to be in pretty good shape. This ride is hard! We only did the one day (and even cut it short), but it is an intense ride with some pretty big hills. I walked a fair bit of the hills and I have been an avid spinner for the last 5 years. You should not be discouraged, but just know what to expect.
The other thing to note is that you would really benefit from gloves. I am not a cyclist and didn't think to bring that gear along. The handles made my hands really sore, especially on the downhills when you need to break.
Overall, it was a spectacular way to see rural Rwanda and the views are breathtaking. We would both do it again and highly recommend it.

3  Thank engelrach

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We rented mountain bikes from Tom and the next day went on a day long trek of the pfunda trail. When renting the bikes on the first day, we rode along the Congo-Nile trail which runs alongside beautiful lake Kivu down towards Kibuye. Experiencing a new place on bike is so much better than in a car as you get a feel for the landscape and can actually communicate with people you pass. The bikes themselves are in top condition and come with a helmet and emergency repair kits. The next day we hired a guide for a one day trek of the Pfunda trail with a guide and porter. We passed tea plantations, coffee plantations, villages and cassiterite mines. This was one of the best things I have done in Rwanda after 6 weeks of being here and can't recommend it highly enough to others. The scenery is beautiful and the guide is very knowledgeable. This region has suffered so much in recent decades tourism might offer some hope so by coming you are supporting a worthy cause too!

3  Thank SL1211
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My friend and I were taken on a two day tour by Tom, and fantastic support rider Twizere, from Gisenyi to Kibuye (about 100km in total). It was a great way to sample rural Rwanda while cycling some of the thousand hills that cover Rwanda. I can't recommend the trip enough to anyone who enjoys cycling. Most of it was off road and there were a lot of climbs but these led to fantastic decents and some excitng riding. We stopped in great locations for drinks, lunch and photo ops. The first night we stayed at a coffee plantation and had an interesting tour from the manager. The second day is more challenging but is well worth it for the views and the long downhills in to Kibuye at the end. The second night hotel as also really good with stunning views. To cap it all off the boat ride back to Gisenyi was great.

Tom has excellent knowledge o the country and wildlife and an obvious passion for what he does. If you are in the area look him up and get on a trip.

2  Thank JDW78220
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Excellent 3 day trip from Gisenyi to Kibuye. Two days of tough but rewarding cycling through rural Rwanda which was the highlight of our recent trip, even outdoing the Gorillas! Tom is a very knowledgable guide about all things Rwandan and he arranged good accommodation and refuelling stops, even the boat back to Gisenyi threw up a few surprises with a stop at an island inhabited by fruit bats. The bikes were in top condition which was very important given the terrain and Tom was ably assisted by Twizere the porter. All in all extremely enjoyable and very good value for money. Would highly recommend.

3  Thank AndyWhit
Reviewed 17 January 2013

By far the best way to see the real Rwanda! My husband and I spent a full day mountain biking with Tom to places that we never would have visited had it not been for this bike trip. We biked 55km in 9 hours (yes, we were sore the next day!), climbing and descending through some of the most beautiful scenery - my fave, the tea plantations as far as the eye can see. The people were amazing! Although relentless, I couldn't get enough of the kids, running behind our bikes! We even stopped for a sugar cane boost, right out of the field. The bikes were in excellent shape, great lunch, fantastic guide and assistant! And Tom will cater to your biking skill level. If you want to get off the beaten path, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND a bike trip with Tom.

1  Thank saritamattouie