“Good place to stay”
Review of Hotel Muhabura

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ruhengeri
Hotel Muhabura
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Ruhengeri
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We used the hotel for training and accommodation. The hotel is much better than it looks on the web. It has a charming atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and caring. I stayed at a basic room but clean and with good hot water shower. It is a reasonable and good place to stay at a rural town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Nice, but basic lodging. Good location for being picked up to go on gorilla trecking. Meals rather boring with noting really special. Plus for wifi and a rather nice garden for sitting with an evening beer and summaries your wildlife sightings during the day.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here for a night with a larger group of family and friends. My wife and I paid a slight premium for "Room 12" (Dian Fossey's old room), which while it was a bit outdated (by design - they keep it as much the way it was when she stayed there), was a lot of fun.

The best part about staying here is the restaurant, particularly the verandah out front where you can enjoy great "people watching" as you eat your meal, since the main boulevard in Musanze runs right out front. (There is a quieter inside dining room if this is not your thing.) The folks that stayed in the more modern buildings farther out back had no complaints -- good water pressure and clean rooms.

Good wireless internet connectivity too.

We'd stay here again, for sure. Fits nicely between the pure budget places (like Fatima) and the higher-end, more expensive places in town (like Hotel Gorillas across the street). And also has that nice "nostaligic" vibe that comes along with being the oldest hotel in town.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed VERY quiet at night, and everyone slept well. Choose Room 12 (slight premiu...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights during our stay to see the gorillas. Room was very large, with a sitting area, and room was comfortable. Bathroom wasn't spotless, and whole place a bit run down, but not the worst place I have ever stayed. The shower was a tub with a hand held shower rod, so showering difficult, and hot water sparse. I wish the included breakfast was a bit more substantial as it was very basic, but that was common throughout our time in Rwanda. Felt safe during our stay. Quiet at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

If you go to Ruhengeri and you are a realist, you should not expect a first class hotel: Ruhengeri is a little town somewhere "in the bush".
But what they lack in luxury, they really compensate with friendship!

The food? Well, it was fresh... You could hear when the goat was killed early in the morning, the same one you would have for lunch and dinner. And they were healthy to eat too: I believe I spent more calories in chewing them then the amount of calories I got from the food...

But the mushroom stewing was first class, better then the ones I have in Norway, where i live. And Norway is FULL of mushrooms!

I loved the swimming pool too... How big was it? Well, about 3 by 4 meters?... And empty...

And one thing: I lived there for about nine months directly after the genocide in -94, helping to build up the whole area with fresh water, working from the Virunga Park and down to Kinigi.

The rooms were simple, with paper thin walls, so I could hear my neighbors activity when he was writing on his laptop. But I just loved the gecko lizard on my wall, who was defending me from insects, as well as the transparent frog on the bathroom.

We joked often about the bank on the other side of the road, saying that it had a fantastic service: It was open 24/7 (mainly because the front door was blown off by a bomb during the war).

Totally speaking, I loved Rwanda and Ruhengeri. And the Muhabura is... charming.

So if you are going to the Virunga Park, this is the place to start from.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Nothing about this hotel is overwhelming, except for the,smile and friendliness of the front desk staff. The room was cramped, with one wall consisting of a huge picture window. The shower was distinctly in need of renovation, and as mentioned by others, the linens due for replacement. The food at the restaurant was edible but not much more...and the early breakfast, skimpy at best. However, after trekking in the rain, we were given a room to change our clothes, even though we had already checked out and were very muddy. Like we said, friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamdeu
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Again, we returned after a year to this hotel with the quality restaurant. We also had a bite in the garden; quiet and excelent for birding. Good mix of Gorilla tourist, local conference guests and people passing by. The stickers of all travel agents is the proof!
Tip: Good advice at the reception on other activities around Ruhengeri. Also the ABC-file in every room gives all information.
This hotel was the first in town and therefore will always have the most charm to stay when visiting the mountain Gorilla's.

Room Tip: 1. Try the new Sauna and masage facility (reservation)! 2. Room 12 (Dian Fossey) is special with al...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple