“the nicest local place”

Pioneers Restaurant
Cuisines: African
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Pioneers is a Traditional Karoo Food Restaurant. Portions are generous. Staff and owners are very friendly, you will feel immediately welcome. Our Motto: "Come as strangers, leave as friends and return as regulars"
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I visited Graaff-Reinet to see clients and they took me to this place. It does not look much, looks nice but not extraordinary. I ordered kudu steaks which they did not have, and amakulu which they did not have either. But they just brought me something else and surprised me with the best food and a top service and a feeling of being welcome I have not had in a restaurant before. And I travel a lot and I go many places, but this was so nice. I really enjoyed the evening and the smiling, well informed staff and the owner who embraced us all. I will highly recommend this place to any one who will visit this beautiful place in Africa. Be prepared for a nice night out :-)
Marlene J. Denmark

2  Thank Marlene J

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Driving to the Eastern Cape from Jhb, our first stop was at Pioneers. It was a nice little place in the beautiful town of Graaff-Reinet. It was the Easter weekend and we were a bit worried that we might not find a place to eat, but we found Pioneers :) On the outside you get a cool mountain view, and there's parking on the street. When you walk in you will be taken through the decades with old collectibles, sort of like a museum, and then you step out into the back and there's benches and tables for you to sit and indulge in a nice meal. I had the chicken strips and I did enjoy it. A lot of the food is fried, which usually isn't my first choice but when I'm in a new place I like to try the local food.

2  Thank RionaArjoon
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We spent only one night in Graaff Reinet and our hostess recommended Pioneers for hearty Karoo food. We were not disappointed! The lamb chops were delicious and the pumpkin fritters to die for. My husband 'hates' pumpkin and I normally get his share, but in this case I lost out. The staff exuded Karoo friendliness and even make sure the car guard gets a meal.

2  Thank BJP118
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Small restaurant with great ambience and good service. Food was absolutely delicious. Had samp instead of wedges with three lamb chops. Perfect combo along with a sweet pumpkin fritter and green beans.
Tried ostrich carpaccio for starters and it also comes highly recommended.
All washed down with a few G&T's made for a great evening.
Pub with tables for smokers outside and as we left live music was being set up (Friday night). Eclectic decor just adds to the charm.

2  Thank Jacques v
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic traditional food, excellent & friendly service. We always stop here for dinner when visiting Graaf Reinet. Definately not to be missed!!

2  Thank Cindi B