“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Sea Gypsy Cafe
Ranked #10 of 81 Restaurants in Mossel Bay
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, View, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Sea Gypsy Cafe is one of the most unique places that you will ever visit. We are situated on the water our oysters are hanging from a pole alive in the sea. We offer a warm friendly and welcoming experience. Great food good value. We offer not only seafood but also meats, chicken, vegetarian meals as well as burgers, toasties and pastas. Takeaways can be placed over the phone and delivered by delivery extreme. A shuttle service is also available if required at no extra cost to and from the shop. Come and join us we are people that care. Hope to see you soon. Kind regards Colin and Team.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

We have been eating at the Sea Gypsy for nearly ten years...our last experienced on 23rd January 2013 was not good. When our plated food arrived the feta cheese looked like it had been through a food blender. How can they plate up a dish like that and send it out...they must wake up!...

Visited January 2013

Singapore, Singapore
“relaxed atmosphere by the water”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

Sea Gypsy was recommended as the place to go for oysters in Mossel Bay. They were right! Reasonably priced, fresh oysters, right by the water. It is a very simple place, with friendly and efficient staff. I ordered a ham&cheese sarnie to go, which included tomatoes and chips and this was just as good. You must try the local beer

Mossel Bay, South Africa
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have had many meals at the Sea Gypsy, but Thursday afternoon's fish and chips must be one of the worst eating out experiences I have had. The waitress assured me the fish was fresh, but not the fish I was served. It was like a leather shoe sole. The first chip I bit was not cooked at all. The rest were half cooked and soggy. My biggest disappointment is that you go to a restaurant situated on the sea front and you get served old fish. I sent my food back virtually uneaten, but as I was a guest in a large group I did not want to make a scene, so I let it be. I honestly cannot believe that a well known eatery like the Sea Gipsy can serve such below standard food. I understand many restaurants in Mossel Bay are owned by the same owner, and Sea Gypsy is one of those. It is unthinkable that an owner of a restaurant can allow such poor food to be served. My philosophy is I do not mind paying, but then I want to at least get what I am paying for. The "meal" I had at Sea Gypsy on Thursday was not worth paying for, it is actually an insult to receive such food and to be expected to eat it and pay for it. There appears to be very little if any quality control in this establishment. It will be a while, if ever I return there.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good for a quick meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Average food at good prices. Good service and location. Stop by for a quick bite but don't expect anything fancy.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank spikehugs
Mossel Bay, South Africa
“Sea Gypsy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

Sea Gypsy is a great social gathering place. It is lovely to have a drink next to the harbour, but unfortunately there is a terrible smell which puts me off the food. It is a musty kind of smell which comes from the floorboards inside the building. It can also become very hot in summertime. The food is good. if they can do something about the smell it will help. it is a rustic harbour dwelling and has lots of atmosphere.

Visited January 2013