“Quite simply amazing”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Mossel Bay
London, United Kingdom
“Quite simply amazing”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I first visited The Eight Bells Mountain Inn when I was roughly 5, it was the favourite holiday destination for us.
We returned after many years away for my honeymoon in 2013, I was pleased to say that it was as amazing as I remember it. My husband & I loved it so much we returned this year for another visit. The scenery is stunning, peaceful and all you could ask for to have a relaxing time away. The staff are fantastic, so friendly and will do all they can to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We absolutely love it!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank amyw-m
ReneBongers, General Manager at Eight Bells Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you so much for your positive review. It is always nice to hear from clients that our product offerings exceeded their expectation after their first visit and that everything was to their satisfaction. Thank you once again and we hope to see you back at Eight Bells soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
South Africa
Reviewed 7 April 2014

On arrival the Fri the car park was full of cars and motor bikes clearly enjoying the beautiful setting - fortunately there is a second car park around the corner - problem solved. I made the booking on hotels.com - I was under the impression that I booked a log cabin - I did the same booking a couple of ago and had a log cabin - same description on the hotels.com website - I was allocated a pool terrace room - exactly where I did not want to stay - the receptionist showed me the reservation they got from them. When they realized that I was not happy they went out of their way to help - unfortunately the log cabins was fully booked. They showed me a couple of rooms and eventually I decided on a room in Palm Court. The room was clean and spacious with a enclosed veranda. Still had the view of the mountains but preferred the log cabins. Unfortunately the room is right next to the back of the restaurant - so you hear the staff talking especially when they leave in the evening and on arrival in the morning! I found the food reasonably price for what they serve. I will be back if I can stay in the log cabin.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
ReneBongers, General Manager at Eight Bells Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for your honest review, I appreciate your kind words and understanding. I have checked with Bookings.com and voiced my concerns regarding possible misunderstandings on the room descriptions. This will be further discussed during Indaba in May. Our staff is our biggest asset and it is good to hear that they were able to offer you a room that suited your needs apart from hearing the staff. We have discussed this and an effort will be made to ensure that they are all much quieter when they have to be in the staff room. Thank you once again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Eight Bells soon.
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Had yet another fantastic family break at Eight Bells. Good food, beautiful setting and that good old fashioned mountain holiday scene. Walking, horse riding, tennis etc. Take your mountain bike, great bike trails and some beautiful drives off the beaten track in the area. A day trip to Jakkalsvlei wine farm is worth it - take the dirt road linking the R328 and R327 to get there, it is stunningly beautiful! Can't wait to go back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stuart M
ReneBongers, General Manager at Eight Bells Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
We are fortunate to be situated in arguably the most beautiful part of our country and to be able to offer a good old fashioned holiday to South African families is what we strive for. Thank you so much for staying with us and for your positive review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and your day trip to Jakkalsvlei wine farm. There are certainly more such excursions awaiting prospective visitors to Eight Bells and we hope to be able to welcome you and your family back soon. Thank you once again.
Cape Town
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I arrived pretty late with my guests and were welcomed with open arms, everybody ready and awaiting us...dinner was requested rather late and once again very very accommodating, staff saw to our every request and need. I actually phoned earlier that evening and asked if they could arrange a cake for us or if they perhaps had one available for us (as it was one of my guests birthday). Well when we arrived I was told that they had baked a cake for us!!!!!!!! Neva in my life did this cross my mind! The chef whipped up a beautiful and delicious cake for us for after dinner. The rooms are very pretty and furniture sort of farm like...the pool crystal blue and the gardens immaculate. I want to say a huge thank you to the staff for going the extra mile with everything! Will definitely recommend and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The wooden cabins are really pretty with excellent views of the valley.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
It is always nice to get a positive review, but to get such a nice review from a Tour Guide on her first visit is especially heart-warming. Thank you so much, it is good to get confirmation that our efforts are paying off and it will assist in making our staff even more dedicated. I am justly proud of their continued efforts in ensuring that all clients are well looked after and their expectations are met or even surpassed. Thank you once again and we hope to be able to welcome you and your clients back to Eight Bells soon.
southafrica
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Sunday lunch was expensive for what we got. At R90 we got a plated meal with two meats, beef and pork with two veg, rice and roast potatoes. Disappointing, not enough food and a mediocre flavor. The wine by the glass was also not very nice, I did ask to see the bottle and asked for a new one to be opened in front of me which they did but it was obviously the type of wine which I don't want to mention here, however it was a Sav Blanc.Thought it would be a nice Sunday outing but would rather have had McDonalds.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ReneBongers, General Manager at Eight Bells Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
It is disappointing to hear that this client did not enjoy her lunch during a recent visit to Eight Bells. Every Sunday we serve hundreds of meals to very satisfied clients that even drive from as far as Plettenberg Bay and Stillbaai, to enjoy our legendary plated Sunday Lunch. Apart from the accolades that the staff and I get every Sunday, our visitors book can attest to the fact that we offer good value for money, large portions, exceptional taste and great service. The client must be mistaken about the beef and pork as we only serve roasted chicken with either lamb or pork as part of the plated meal on Sundays.
We have a comprehensive winelist and proudly serve the local award-winning Boplaas wines by the glass, and their Sauvignon Blanc is highly regarded by many. I apologise for the fact that the client did not enjoy her Sunday outing as so many others do, and feel that she is a bit unfair to compare us with a local takeaway. Perhaps she will still discover the complete package that we offer.
Fish Hoek, South Africa
Reviewed 24 March 2014

It has always been on my bucket list to stay here. My only regret was I left it so late to try it. We has the Swiss Chalet and it was great. The food was outstanding and way more than I could eat. I loved the silence and even though lots of motorcyclists descended on the place, you could not hear any noise. The staff were very professional

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ReneBongers, General Manager at Eight Bells Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
It is a pity you left it so late but at least you can now tick off one of the items on your bucket list. Thank you so much for staying with us and for your very positive review. Peace and tranquillity is but one thing we offer apart from the vast range of outdoor activities. You choose a weekend to visit when the annual Buffalo Rally takes place in Mossel Bay and although we do get many visitors during this time I am so glad that you did hear any unduly noise. Thank you once again and let us hope this was the start of many more visits to Eight Bells.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Way back when I was a tourist guide I got to stay at Eight Bells a few times and always enjoyed it so I jumped at the opportunity to spend a night on a recent business trip on the Garden Route. The hotel makes one feel at home with excellent personal service. I recognized the two ladies in the restaurant from probably 10 years back and the fact that they are still there means that the staff is happy. I stayed in one of the log cabins which is more than comfortable enough with stunning views across the valley to the mountains in the distance. The only complaint perhaps is the fact that it takes time for the hot water to get to the cabins, but that wasn't a train smash. I just feel bad for the water being wasted. I had absolutely no complaints about the food with the prices cheaper than most other restaurants and the portions a lot bigger. Pity I couldn't stay longer and hope to be able to bring the mrs for a visit at some stage. She will love the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
It was nice to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay here at Eight Bells and that you recognised two of our long-serving staff members. We are very fortunate to have fantastic staff, some of which have been with us for nearly fourty years and we are justly proud that we are now on the fourth generation of two families that have always worked at Eight Bells. As explained in response to a previous review you need not worry about water wastage as it all gets back into the ground and comes from a spring on the property. Signage in each rooms explains the system and it has been in operation this way for many years. Thank you once again for staying with us and for your positive review, we hope to be able to welcome your wife here soon to also experience our special brand of hospitality.