“Great accommodation and good vibe!”
Review of Santos Express

Santos Express
Ranked #10 of 54 Mossel Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stay at the SANTOS EXPRESS regularly - mostly for business but also when i have the family with me and its so reasonable - i where do you find bed and breakfast for around R180.00 PP!? Beds are comfortable , showers hot and restaurant is very good! Chicken Schnitzel we had last week was superb! They need to look at basins with turn on taps in bathrooms for shavign ertc.

Room Tip: Best to choose the cabin with the double bed -kids are fine in the `train type` beds
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Santos Express

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We booked 2 nights in one of the caboosies of the Santos Express. On arrival, I asked if we could see the Royal Ladies or the Royal Suites as called. WOW ... so beautiful that we decided to do the upgrade. What an experience!! I believe we were one of the first couples staying in the Royal Suites. It is BEAUTIFUL. We LOVED every moment of it. The setting, the beach, the decor - everything just perfect.

Room Tip: Two SMALL suggestions though: For the people staying at the Royal side of the train - upgrade thei...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had a lovely time, staff were very helpful double cabins are good fun but the 'caboose - was great' - well worth the extra cost
We will definitely make a return journey when we are next in the area!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I made the EXPENSIVE mistake of booking through SafariNow.com, who deducted the commission payable TO them BY Santos Express FROM MY DEPOSIT - only to be charged AGAIN by Santos Express, with NO prior warning, for my faux pas! As a pensioner, this was hard to swallow!
The beds - I tried two of them - were lumpy and uncomfortable - NOTHING like the firm beds I've slept on in South African trains (and trains worldwide) and one of the reasons I booked - VERY DISAPPOINTING AND PAINFUL.
With the INFAMOUS exceptions of Tania and Ann - neither of whom should be anywhere near the Hospitality Industry, the staff were all of Platinum quality. The food also was GREAT! The location incomparable at almost any price.
(The five stars I would have awarded for Service were reduced by Tania's behaviour. And the five stars I would have awarded for cleanliness were reduced by lipstick on my clean coffee cup.)

Room Tip: If you MUST stay at Santos Express, book directly with them. Expect some of the best service and WOR...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
SantosTrain, Manager at Santos Express, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear enfantduRoi,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We have however contacted Tripadvisor to report your review as abusive. What you neglect to say in your review is that we were more than accommodating considering the situation. You originally booked for two people and only informed us upon check in that you will be one person staying. According to our cancellation policy, you should have forfeited the entire deposit which you had paid for the second person, instead we only charged you a 10% fee. We also upgraded you to a twin room at no extra cost so that you will be more comfortable for your long stay.

Seeing as you were in our offices at least 10 times a day to “chat”, one would assume that you could have brought to our attention your discomfort with the beds. Our staff were more than accommodating and professional, taking into account the numerous times you occupied their attention during the day and prevented them from completing their duties. We took the time to explain the cancellation policy and the SafariNow booking system to you in person, after you sent us abusive and demanding emails, whilst still in residence with us. We did refund you in part, while technically you should have paid in on your bill, if we had followed our policy to the letter.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

You definitely have to stay in a train for the night, once in your life. I am not sure if you should do this in Mossel Bay. The town is extremely boring and not much to do. The bar is funny and a place to meet nice locals, have some food and a drink. Staff is very Friendly. The weather was freezing and no heating in the train.. Pretty horrible.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I am a Senior International Travel Specialist and work for Harvey World Travel. It was my annual holiday and I was looking forward to a break from my hectic corporate environment. I decided to try out the Santos Express, before I left for my main holiday in Europe with friends. I did not know what to expect for R175.00 per night. Well I was pleasantly surprised in a good way. The staff were absolutely friendly and amazing. Debbie and Dolf were most professional and one can see why they are employed in the profession that they are in. Justin the waiter was very professional and helpful he always has a smile and good word to say. My accommodation was booked in a single coupe, and seeing that it was a very quiet time of the year Tania upgraded me to a double compartment. The bedding was clean and the compartment spotlessly clean. I had the most amazing view of the ocean and the harbour. Regards to the restaurant, the food was great, but the breakfast a bit disappointing and bland. Would I return for another 5 days, yes I would. It is great value for money. Keep up the good work Allan, Debbie and Dolf and the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SeanCalitzdorp
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We ( Family of 3 ) stayed in one of the newly added "vintage coaches".
These coaches consists of a King Size bed with space for a coffee table and 2 chairs.The on-suite bathroom consists of a toilet,bath,shower and basin.
There are more than enough packing space for luggage.

Each of the 4 units have a outside area( stoep) overlooking the beach that is about 20m away.
A pathway leads to your own beach access.

Buffet breakfast is included in the price but it basically consists of a selection of cereals,a fruit,toast,coffee/tea and juice only.

The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The other sleeping coaches is very small and more suitable for backpackers.

Room Tip: Only 2 of the 4 vintage coaches have a sea view. Be sure to choose one of them.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family