All reviewsday bedeach eveningmafia island divingchole islandseafooddive centresunset cruisehomemade breadthe restaurant bar areaeco luxuryfree excursionnice balconypeaceful environmentcoffee deliveredlocal ingredientsbefore dinnerperfect place to relax
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I am so glad that we decided to spend a few nights on Mafia and I am doubly glad that we ended up at Pole Pole.

The food was amazing. The accommodation was lovely. The staff were the most attentive and sweet that I have ever met I think and Mussa seemed to have his finger on the pulse of everything. That is, if you consider Mafia to have much of a pulse, and I say that in a good way. This place was all about relaxing for me.

We loved our snorkling trip and we were lucky enough to see a whale shark in late October. But it really was the attention to each guest staying at Pole Pole that blew me away.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2017

All I can say is I am SO glad we chose to stay here. From my first contact with Paola to enquire about reservations to our final departure, everything was perfectly taken care of for us. Mussa (THANK YOU Mussa!!) and his entire team at Pole Pole made our stay so relaxing and stress free. Many people seem to come here after a safari to chill, but we came to Tanzania just for Mafia and the diving. With only 7 bungalows, everything feels quite private. My husband enjoyed 3 massages during our stay. I especially loved that we could have coffee delivered to our bungalow in the morning to enjoy on the terrace before heading to breakfast or venturing off to any activities planned for the day. They'll take your order for sundowners on your terrace in the evening, but we often ended up hanging out at the beach for a beer after diving. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, Mafia Island Diving runs many of the activities and one of the team from the dive center comes over each evening to discuss what you might want to do the next day. Because our dives were during the middle of the day, Pole Pole packed a lunch for us each day and delivered it directly to the boat in the cool box. Easy peasy. We basically just needed to show up on time! The photos you see definitely don't do Pole Pole justice. It's even more beautiful and serene in person. If you like a small island vibe with a good mix of relaxing and activities (turtle hatching, whale watching, sunset sails, village visits, snorkeling or diving, etc.), Pole Pole is definitely the perfect place to spend your holiday!

Room Tip: Bungalow 6 was lovely!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hnymnr68
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Jambo!! We spent three nights at Pole Pole and found it quite peaceful with nicely laid out cabins, a pool and spa, a quiet beach and excellent food. The resort managers Moosah and Alberto were always generous with their time, checking with us throughout our stay to ensure we were okay. The restaurant had delicious food and we were quite happy with Joseph and Salma who worked at the restaurant.

There are plenty of water based adventures with folks from the dive shop (further down the beach) setting up your next dat adventures before dinner each night. We went out for afternoon snorkeling. The ride to the reef was smooth and the reef had plenty of fish viewing. Unfortunately I easily get seasick so the snorkeling did not work that well for me. Still it was a nice snorkeling site.

There are other water adventures and trip to Chole Island, but we opted to relax and chill at the resort.

Too small downsides, the beach is in the bay so tides impact any potential swimming and wi-fi service was spotty, but it was great place to relax and unwind with various activities during the day if you so choose. Oh and plenty of bats overhead from Chole each evening. Very cool.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank forego
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We chose our dive shop first (Mafia Island Diving - see separate glowing review) and they recommended we stay at Pole Pole. Great recommendation! the hotel has a quiet, peaceful vibe that was exactly what we needed after our safari in the Serengeti.

The rest of the review is written by my 14 year old son, who earned two Dad points for this effort :)

If you are looking for a quiet place to kick back and relax, then Pole Pole should be high up on your list!

First of all, all the staff members are very friendly and try to please you in every way. From the waiters all the way up to the managers, people have been very helpful. A special mention here goes to Alberto, the manager of the hotel, who, when my Dad presented him with a problem that was in no way his responsibility, he made it his goal to fix.
(Just before leaving our home town, my Dad noticed that his dive computer was not working. Trying to be smart , he ordered one shipped directly to Mafia so that by the time we got here, it would have already arrived. Unfortunately, shipping items to Tanzania turned out to be a disaster, and the dive computer got caught up in all sorts of legal hold-ups and expensive taxes).

We liked the quiet atmosphere of Pole Pole and enjoyed the no TV no phone in the room approach, although this serenity came at a dear price: there is no wi-fi in the room, only in the pool area and even there it s really poor. Also, the rooms did not have windows, only mosquito nets which is far from the end of the world but its just a little inconvenience. Regardless, these tiny hold-ups are more than made up by the fact that the cleaning team were very efficient in timing the clean-up sessions so as that we barely even saw the cleaning ladies. Also they offered to do our laundry for free and we only had to put the dirty clothes in a basket. Additionally, the eco approach and the sand roads make it seem that much more like the corner of eden that it is.

Even so, things aren't all honey and milk, although it s definitely not far from it. One of our biggest complaints regarding the experience of our stay is the ridiculously long wait time for food and drinks and overall sense of time that most of the staff seem to lack in. For example, we would wait about 15 to 20 minutes just for our first course to arrive at dinner and lunch and we can t really say it was worth it. The food really isn t a selling point for Pole Pole.
[Dad note: remember, this is a 14 year old boy writing. The waiting time at meals was not at all such a severe pain for adults :) and the food wasn't bad - just average]

It should also be noted that even though Mussa(the assistant manager) couldn't quite deliver regarding the dive computer situation and just kept stalling, he definitely shone through when my Mom needed some stitches removed; he brought us a really well trained doctor that is not a given on the Mafia island. One of the best advice that you can follow while on the island and pretty much in Tanzania in general, is don t get sick ;D.

Finally, we have to give our thanks to David, who is the owner of a dive shop in association with Pole Pole and who provides all the entertainment, including diving, of course, excursions and more. He also took every evening to come in person at Pole Pole and talk to every single one of his guests. He even spent time with us teaching us photography.

All in all, our stay at Pole Pole was a great one and I wish we would come back.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are facing the ocean. Bungalow #7 is larger than the others, has an extra room, a gazebo and an outdoors bed.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank florini
Reviewed 30 August 2017

It was one of the highlights of our trip. We've been travelling for days and days and this friendly lodge, right on the beach, was one of the things that made our stay in Africa a wonderful experience.
The staff is very friendly. The venue couldn't be better. It's right at the beach and still near the airstrip. The dive center is next door and run by very professional team. The bungalows themselves are quite basic, but were clean. The breakfast was really good - lots of fresh fruit, cookies and really tasty omelette with cheese and bacon cooked into it.
Friendly manager and helpful whenever we needed something.
The place is tidy and clean. And I mean clean by European standards.
We would've stayed longer if we could.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family