Ndarakwai Ranch Camp
US$65
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstree housebush babieswalking safarigame drivesnature walkconservation areabird lifenocturnal animalsbanana slicesprivate tentobservation towertented accommodationtail endanimals includingafrican bushrunning waterevery evening
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Clean, quiet and beautiful. Eric and his staff made our visit perfect. No matter what we asked for, his staff delivered with a smile. Great wildlife within minutes and a real appreciation for conservation by the staff and guides. Great food everyday and quiet and clean rooms!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Ndarakwai, Owner at Ndarakwai Ranch Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the review. It was great working and spending time with you and the crew. All the best for the future. Thanks

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 days the end of March at the beginning of our 3 week safari. Upon arrival, my first thought was "I never want to leave". It was the perfect place to recover from our jet lag and be introduced to the wonders of Tanzania. We saw so many animals including zebra, wildebeest, buffalo, a group of 12 elephants, spring hare (a long-tailed rabbit, how remarkable!), warthog, baboon, and too many others to note along with many, many birds. The food was delicious and the portions too generous. The accommodations were lovely with the path lighted by lanterns to guide you at night. We were so spoiled by the staff who were always friendly and attentive. When I sent my slacks to be laundered and forgot to empty my pockets (due to my jet-lagged stupor) all cash and the credit card were returned to me intact.

March was a wonderful time to be there, the weather was perfect and we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LTT13
Ndarakwai, Owner at Ndarakwai Ranch Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hi LTT13,
Thank you very much for your review. It was a pleasure having you at Ndarakwai and we are glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay. Thats great you were able to see Spring Hare on your night game drive! All the best, and thank you for the recommendation!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I went to Tanzania to climb Mt Kilimanjaro 9 days, and go on safari (8 days). At the end of our trip we stayed at Ndarakwai Ranch. We felt so lucky our outfitter had recommended it! The tents are beautifully decorated with antique wooden furniture, private showers and flush toilets. The animals wander through in a relaxed fashion. While we had a table for 2 in the dining room, it was natural to talk to all the other guests, all of whom had interesting stories about their journeys to and out of Africa. We met the owner, Peter Jones, and his son, Director, Eric Jones - they are so welcoming and creative. We listened to Peter speak with some expats from nearby Moshi about creating sustainable fishing habitat in the nearby community which would serve both the community and provide fish for the restaurant. We went to visit a Masai village (without the commercialism and greedy attitudes of those in Serengeti). We went on a night safari drive around the ranch. A walking safari was also a treat. The staff are incredibly welcoming and friendly. They have many areas available for sitting and reading, or having a glass of wine before dinner, or just chatting and soaking up the environment.
If you go to Tanzania - this is worth making part of your itinerary - we highly recommend it. Some start their trip to Kili by staying here, I recommend it as a respite after the climb as well. You will feel as though you really visited Africa.

Room Tip: All their tents are located at a comfortable distance from one another. We stayed in one and used another for a "day room" -- they were both wonderful. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally B

Hi Sally,
I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, i hope the rest of your trip went well! We are still working on creating a sustainable fish farm close by, and are also in the process of supplying people in the community with bee hives as a potential honey business too. Thanks again for you review and i hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Tanzania!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Ndarakwai Ranch is one of those remarkable places you feel privileged to visit even once in your life. Straight out of a Hemingway novel, the property is distinctive in a variety of ways - raised platform "tents" provide more luxury than most brick-and-mortar hotel rooms, the surrounding lands are teeming with natural beauty and wildlife, and the staff is beyond amazing & helpful. My wife and I stayed here with our group that was going on to hike Kilimanjaro, so we only had one night at Ndarakwai, but we could have easily stayed 4 or 5 days. All guest needs are provided for on-property, with fantastic dining options and even wi-fi in the reception area. You are truly a part of the landscape while at Ndarakwai and we even got to watch baboons romp on the opposite stream bank from our lunch seats. We even got to take a nature walk in the afternoon and came upon herds of zebra, cape buffalo and wildebeest before venturing on to the "tree house" and watching more wildlife from an elevated perch. Truly an outstanding and memorable experience in the middle of wild Africa!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Andrew,
I'm really glad you enjoyed your time with us! The afternoon game walk with sundowners at the treehouse is the perfect combination. Hope you all made it up the mountain!

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Ndarakwai is a special place in Tanzania and a special place in Africa. Well within an hours drive from Kilimanjaro international airport, I was astounded how quickly I felt myself stepping into Africa of old. The ranch sits amid seven hills between Kilimanjaro and her sister Mount Meru, and is picturesque and evocative to days gone by as one could imagine, yet firmly looks forward to the future of the wild spaces of Africa through tangibly effective environmental stewardship. The camp is lovely, organically laid out and constructed or natural materials and know how. All the spaces invite nature in, or rather do not attempt to stand apart. The spacious tents are supremely comfortable and well appointed with all amenities and comfortable, characterful beds. Unlike many luxury camps in Africa there was no shortage of hot water at any point during my stay, a feat accomplished by well engineered and maintained solar systems.
Every meal was delicious, prepared and presented by smiling staff the food of itself speaks of homesteads and country kitchens while still catering to all contemporary tastes and requirements.
For any nature lover, anyone taken by majestic trees and tiny jeweled orchids, Ndarakwai is a dream come true. The variety of bird life, of wild game and potential experiences, defy convention. Morning, daytime, evening and night all allow for an opportunity to see that one new species, that one moment of relaxed, natural behavior that all naturalists seek. One has only to keep their eyes open, and Mother Nature here provides such theatre on all scales.
Overall, I would, and shall, return to Ndarakwai, for the simple reason that I am certain what I will find in terms of welcome and hospitality, and yet tantalizingly, I do not know what I will find in terms of adventure. Anyone in this part of the world would be sore to miss it.

• Stayed: March 2014

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the review! It was great meeting you during your visit and i'm glad you enjoyed your stay. You are most welcome anytime!