“Clean and sober”
Review of Buffalo Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Buffalo Hotel
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The room was not bad. Of course the net had holes, you get used to that and thank god I had my own travel net with me. The bathroom was clean but the water stayed cold. Did not matter since the weather was hot enough.
The staff is not too friendly, except for one or two. The very simple breakfast was guarded by a strange woman, who got angry when I tried to take a second helping of the fruit juice that came straight from the synthetic pack. She also robbed me of my coffee spoon after she thought I had finished with it.
Strange thing was that when you leave the hotel (while you keep the room), you had to give your key to the reception for the cleaners. I found, coming back during the day, all the keys in the doors, luggage inside unattended. Not very safe, to say the least.
Not too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 October 2013

A friend and me stayed here for several weeks while we were working in Moshi. The service was terrible, and so was the breakfast. We had some trouble with the staff and the payment, but after a lot of discussion with a woman who knew poorly English we got it all sorted out because I had hold on to the receipts. Or else the rooms were all right, and so were the beds and the cleaning. Cheap enough for the quality and great location.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We just checked out from this hotel with endless disappointed.
1.Each staff has a very poker face, even you try to be very polited to them.
2.There is no window curtain in bathroom, so the people living in opposited can see you naked.
3.The house keeper once try to unlock our door without knocking door.
4.The waitress of its restaurant will not give change your money, even they have clear price on menu.
5.Our bed has a indentation in the center, even we try to change a room the bed still very bad.
6.We met a cook of its restaurant who think we SHOULD speak Swahili to him, and he really hates western people.
7.Each client can only eat ONE small piece of pan cake of breakfast, if you try to eat more by accidentally, the staff who always leans against the wall and talks with other staffs will stop you seriously.
We try to support local people by staying in local hotel, but we feel so uncomfortable and unhappy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank loveart52
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Very bad hotel, the reception people are swindlers, made ​​all kinds of scams, selling travel to Kilimanjaro, where they rob tourists badly. The girl at the reception of the hotel this morning we offered for 50 dollars a visit to Kilimanjaro, in car when car arrives the next day asking us 70 dollars, after 50 fights do not leave as promised, the surprise is that the reception girl who sold us is the guide of the trip. All the time trying to get us money for tickets and all kinds of theft and lies, we were treated very badly, querianos not give more money, had a terrible day in one very bad day mocshi not recommend this hoel, noisy, dirty and with a very bad deal. a waste of place

Room Tip: he reception people are swindlers
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank FranLasPalmas
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My sister and I stayed here before and after our Kilimanjaro trek and would definitely not recommend it. The night we stayed before our trek was acceptable, though we were put on the 3rd floor which they are renovating and our room was practically in a building site, though the room itself was fairly smart (apart from the gaping hole above the shower into the roof with men climbing around in the room whilst we showered) and building work had stopped by 7pm on the Saturday night. Breakfast was basic and they charged you extra for eggs!

However, when we returned from Kili the following week, exhausted and in need of a shower, it was a different story. Our tour organiser specifically asked before we left for us to be put on a lower floor, but we were taken to the same room in the building zone, the receptionist alleging they were fully booked, despite us having booked a week in advance. The room was DISGUSTING. I borrowed a builder's broom to sweep the room myself then released that apart from clean sheets, the room was filthy. Builders dirty everywhere, grimy shower and sink, toilet unflushed, no bin, no towels.. I spoke to the receptionist (a surly, rude, unapologetic lady) who sent the cleaner up, but instead of cleaning our room as priority so we could shower, so started cleaning the corridor floor! Finally a clean room. But no apology from the receptionist, or acceptance that sending us up to a dirty room was completely unacceptable. We would happily have waited 10 minutes when we arrived for the cleaner to finish the room. On comparison with other rooms, our room didn't even have a wardrobe, TV or mirror as the others did.

Also, 4 breakfast staff to man a one table breakfast buffet watching you serve yourself, all rude and unfriendly. Completely unlike everyone else I met in my 5 weeks in Tanzania.

Don't stay here unless you're desperate!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SKbristol24
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The hotel was fine, nothing too special. A friend and I stayed here the nights before climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Breakfast was passable but certainly nothing great. The restaurant across the street is an "italian-indian" fusion restaurant. None of our dishes were very good, and it's tough to find actual East African food in the area. It's fine to stay here if you need an overnight and have things to do during the day, but otherwise, consider looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed here for two nights in one of the Tsh #30,000 rooms (private bath, ceiling fan, no AC). I had a room that was recently renovated and was clean. The appointments in the room are extremely basic and there is no question that this is strictly a budget hotel. The bathroom was OK, but at others had mentioned, there is NO toilet seat! I was only there two nights, so I did not bother to ask the staff (all the rooms I saw had no toilet seat). The bathroom was clean, but also very basic. Only a small soap and toilet paper was provided. The fan and the mosquito net were fine and I did not even bother to turn on the TV.

The staff: I will echo others statements that the staff seems to be in a weekly competition to see how rude they can be to the guests. While I did get a few smiles here and there, the bulk of the staff are downright surly. When I was walking out of breakfast and forgot to pay for the French toast I ordered, the woman in charge just stared at me and put out her and in front of me to block my way. The desk clerks seemed like they would rather be doing anything else than sitting there.

On the first morning, I was awoken by a driver whose car was trapped in the parking area behind the locked gate. His answer to this dilemma was to lay on his horn until someone from the hotel came to assist him.

The hotel is on a dirt/mud road, but the location is good and less than a five minute walk to the bus station.

One positive: We checked in late and I did not notice that I had a view of Kilimanjaro until the morning. It was clear in the morning and I ended up taking the only decent picture of the mountain that I got on my trip.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo