“Clean, fresh and inviting.”
Review of Sal Salinero Hotel

Sal Salinero Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
Drammen, Norway
“Clean, fresh and inviting.”
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Spent one night in Sal Salinero and the hotel is beautifully situated on the hill of Kilimanjaro right below International School Moshi. Bungalowlike rooms with good size, Clean rooms and excellent service. Beautiful parklike surroundings, it feels safe and inviting. 10 mins by taxi to the centre of Moshi and a perfect place to relax prior to or after climbing, safari or whatever you've done.

Breakfast is ok although not great. However, standard breakfast in Africa is in general at a pretty low level so its still better than the average, but its not even close to what we expect in Europe.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Vikingsven

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I was at the this hotel for 2 days before my friends joined me.

Overall, the place is great, the staff is friendly, and always ready to assist. It's very relaxing...

My one problem was that on the last day before my friends joined me, someone broke into my room and stole my money (I'd obviously been watched over the couple days that I was there, so they waited until I left before breaking in - for that atleast, I'm thankful).

This may have been a once-off (and granted, I was stupid, since I let my guard down), and although I had been reimbersed, it was none-the-less a violation.

I would caution anyone to be aware at all times, and rather lock your valuables in reception safe or keep it on you (there is no safe in the room).

The management was very good about making me feel more comfortable after (moving me to an upgraded room that was nearest the reception area, so I could feel more secure), however, I'm not sure that they did all in their power to actually find the person that did this. The only assumption we could make, was that it was a member of staff (unless another guest decided to rob me, which is doubtfu)...

Despite this, I would recommend the place from a comfort perspective. It is also just around the corner from Moshi Town, as well as a few restaurants. There are also some safari/tour operators in the area, as well as a little super market, about 5 - 10 minutes walk away, which makes things very convenient. There is also a little gift shop at the hotel - which is where I bought many little keep-sakes...

They are also super clean! - I would sometimes, just sit outside my room, and if it happened to be while the cleaners were cleaning out a room, I noticed that it took ages, and you could always hear them scrubbing away (probably the showers/baths), which was a plus for me, since I am a complete germ-aphobe.

Room Tip: Get something nearer the reception area. The executive suites are fitted with both a bath/shower as...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Turin, Italy
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We have been here for few days, for shooting pictures and making a movie with some friends and colleagues.
This hotel hosted all of us for few days: in short we can say it is clean and personnel is very nice and kind.
The restaurant has not a great food selection but it is good; service is very very slow despite the waiters beeing very nice.
Breakfast should be improved with more selections.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Sal Salinero is based in Shantytown, the upmarket area of Moshi. Pre-Kilimanjaro we were in the main building, where the rooms aren't so nice as the bungalows behind reception - yet they were clean and there was no problem with them at all.

Food was average - the meat was always overcooked, but it was perfectly edible. The breakfast buffet was ok - pancakes, vegetable soup (yes, for breakfast!) and sweet potatoes were mostly on offer - with some unsweetened cereals too. The bar area is nice, and we enjoyed our outdoor meals while there. The pool is also pleasant, and I spent many hours in the peaceful gardens reading.

It's a short walk to a nearby convenience store - I think it was called Woodland....or something along those lines, which had all corner shop supplies - cereals, coffee, biscuits etc.

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow behind the reception building.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Nice place, very friendly helpful staff.
The meals took over 45 minutes to come, but we were in no rush
Showers were hot
Air conditioning was good
Spacious rooms

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul W
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Great, quiet location only a 5,000 shilling cab ride into Moshi. Clean hotel with a friendly and helpful management and staff. Nice bar to sit around and swap summit stories. The breakfast buffet is very nice. The dinner buffet isn’t bad but the meat is some dishes is very tough (but tough meat seems to be a Kilimanjaro specialty) and the same food is served each night. Dining room service is great by Tanzanian standards.

I would highly recommend this hotel for those climbing Kili as a base before and after your climb.

Room Tip: Although I stayed in the bungalows, I found the wi-fi in the villa lobby (behind the bar) to be stro...
Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Manchester
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed here before and after the Kilimanjaro climb. It is a nice hotel and the staff cannot do enough for you, the comments about lack of hot water are true at certain parts of the day but when we were there it was mid 30's so a cool shower didn't really matter. The food was good and there was free WiFi in reception but it was the slowest ever but I could e-mail some photographs home. The bar is lovely to relax in and prices for everything although more than in town (5,000sch Taxi ride away, don't forget to barter with the Taxi drivers) are far cheaper than the UK. Overall compared to what else is avaialable you would not be dissapointed.

Room Tip: 104 and 105 are in the main buiding and spacious, the bungalows behind reception are also nice
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo