“Good rooms average food”

Salinero Kilimajaro Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed here before my kilimanjaro climb: rooms were nice and comfortable and the gardens were lovely. The food does let it down though- the service was really really slow and when it came it was not worth the wait.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here before and after Kili climb (made it to the top!) organised by Private Expeditions and was anxious having read previous reviews. However, the hotel was much, much better than expected. I had a garden room on both occasions (the ones behind reception) and it was great. Bed was comfortable. Only problem was on one occasion the shower had no cold water and was scalding! The bars and restaurant were OK, the pool was welcome but the service was slow, and I mean slow. No slower than most of Tanzania, but a tad irritating.
Would recommend to anyone

Room Tip: Garden room behind reception
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed here for one night pre-trek as it was arranged by a group I was climbing with.
It was, without doubt, the worst hotel I have stayed in, at this price.
Rooms vary wildly and yet are all of the same price. The garden rooms are acceptable and the rooms in the main building range from large to cleaning cupboard standard.
On returning down the mountain, our trekking company had booked us back into this hotel. At $200 per night, per room, we were dismayed to be put into what could be described as none other than a cleaning store. It was disgusting. The door opened directly onto the restaurant (really weird arrangement) and had a slatted shutter kind of arrangement over the glass door panels that DIDN'T CLOSE. So if you were in your room, you had to be really careful where to stand when undressing. The biggest downside, however, was the glass window IN THE BATHROOM, which had a view into ... next doors bathroom!!! Curious, I'd had a peak through the window between my shower and ??? only to find myself facing a woman sat on the loo next door!!! Admittedly, it's not a low level window but I'm no giant and could look through.
The breakfast, included, was laid out at around 6am and simply left. Whether you came at 7am or 9.30am, it was the same food, laying out with flies buzzing around.
The whole thing has been extended all over and was very disjointed. The wifi only works if you are in the main building so if you are in the garden rooms you haven't a chance.
The pool area was disgusting - the pool itself has a scum floating on the top and the beds around it were rusty and broken. I didn't see a single person in the pool - I suspect you'd need anti-biotics if you were to venture in there.
The only exemption to this place, were the ladies in the shop, but it's possible that they are running their own enterprise. They were noticeably smilier than anyone else I encountered.
The showers worked fine pre-Kili but on our return, there wasn't any water at all. The beds were gross with stains all over and the staff, although civil, were far from engaging and chatty.
Within 12 hours of arriving back, post-Kili, I'd made enquiries and changed to the Honey Badger Lodge down in Moshi, which was a gem of a place. I then stayed there for four nights and at $50 a night, it was the same as just one night in the dump that the Salinero is.
If they want to exploit the Kili trekking market by charging an extortionate price for their rooms, they really need to up the standards, with accommodation, staff and food.
I will not be returning at any point.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my group from Sweden. Nice place. Food wad ok but breakfast simple but ok for us. Pool did not look so clean and need to be maintained. Staff friendly. Wifi worked at least sometime. Beds nice and calm and friendly place. Nice view of Kilimanjaro from garden close to the pool.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bernharddavid
Reviewed 14 September 2013

have not stayed at the hotel, but have used the pool and eaten there. Swimming was more expensive that I had been told - at TSH 5,000 per person for the day it is comparable with the nearby Impala Hotel and Keys Hotel, although more expensive than the YMCA pool. The food here was VERY tasty, but expensive by Moshi standards. Lovely setting - high end hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Room was better than we had expected. It was large and had everything we required (including fresh clean sheets which was lovely following our week in a tent climbing Kilimanjaro:)) As others have written the showers are a bit hit and miss (the one thing we were looking forward to when we got back to the hotel from the mountain was a hot shower but we both had cold showers) The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was great. We were told not to run a tab at the bar as 'extras' tended to be added to it so we did not do this but we did find trying to get any change at the bar was a nightmare. Think they are hopeful you will forget your change, we had to ask three times for it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Ok I admit it!! – I was lucky. I Googled something along the lines of “climb Kilimanjaro” and about number three on the search list was Private Kilimanjaro. One e mail to Beth Deacon later I was hooked and convinced that this was the company that would get us to the top of Africa’s highest peak.

Pre Arrival for trip
Nothing was too much trouble, the customer service was exceptional, prompt and often arriving after the usual 5.30pm watershed. I can’t comment on the price as I didn’t compare it with any other operator - my adage is you pay for what you get. Nearly a year in the planning certainly helped and a few things I would definitely recommend.

1. a private climb – we were a party of two and basically had a party of 9/10 guides and porters to look after us.
2. A full moon climb – the extra light on that last night was magical but also helped with the motivation of getting to the top.
3. Private loo – a joke on the run up to the trip but an absolute blessing on the mountain as the “long drop toilets” are grim in the extreme.

Journey to Kilimanjaro
Booked our flights independently via Kenya Airways [Pride of Africa!!] and its subsidiary Precision Airways. London to Nairobi and then Nairobi to Kilimanjaro. Seamless journey and excellent service – all flights on time and luggage arrived safely and via transit. Private Expeditions were waiting for us at Kilimanjaro airport with a private taxi transfer to Moshi and Sal Salinero hotel, with a brief layby pullover to take some photos of the snow capped mountain – it looked awesome and so it would prove.

Pre Night Climb
We stayed at the Sal Salinero Hotel in Moshi for the night prior to the climb – decent hotel geared up to Kilimanjaro climbers, really nice rooms with air con, restaurant, pool, lovely gardens and views of the mountain. Private Expeditions team arrived in the afternoon to brief us on the climb. We met Emmanuel and Praygod [our guide to be] who talked us through the journey starting at Machame Gate the following day. They instill confidence – they simply reiterate “please co-operate, slowly-slowly and we will get you to the summit”

The Climb
We did a 7 day, 6 night Machame climb as we wanted to give ourselves the best chance to acclimatize. The climb is described in many guidebooks so I wont go into detail here – however you start as you mean to go on – Pole Pole – Slowly Slowly – it takes discipline but do it – they know what they are talking about.
Our guide Praygod and assistant guide Urio were immense and utterly charming on the whole trip – they would chat and discuss life and of course football. They would give you space when they felt you needed it and regularly pointed out flora and fauna along the way.

The porters are simply amazing – they seem to sprint past you with heads and shoulders burdened with bags, chairs, tents, food, etc etc etc – but always with a smile and a “Jambo!!” They set up camp for your arrival – Private Expeditions always seem to get the best or one of the best pitches at each night’s campsite.

The food – I’d heard it was amazing – in my opinion it was amazing that they could cook the food they did. Of course its not 5* - how could it be?. However soups, popcorn, chips, omelettes, fresh fruit and pasta were all excellent and kept energy levels high. We could see other groups and what genuinely seemed to be a differentiator with Private Expeditions is they care and they care about every last detail.

Camping – crazily it was the hardest thing for both of us – we are both 49 and its many years since we have camped. Take a good mat and sleeping bag. It is rocky, slopey and after day 2 – pretty damn cold.

The last night warrants particular note – the books say its tough, Private Expeditions website say its tough – well in our opinion its tougher than you can imagine with a great big cherry on top!!. You set off at midnight and walk and walk and walk up a steeper and steeper slope. Its dusty, dark, draining and daunting. Three hours in and you are not even half way, 4-5 hours in and you start to pass fellow trekkers who have had enough. Some are crying, some vomiting, some silent knowing they can go no further after suffering the effects of AMS.. However Praygod and Urio just keep you going. They check on you all the way up and most importantly they just convince you that you can achieve your goal. After 6.5 hours we reached Stella Point – it’s here as the sun comes up you can see the final summit sign in the distance. It doesn’t look far but like everything on this mountain the scale is enormous – it took another hour to get there. The elation and sheer relief is immense – the photos are taken and your Private Expedition guides are with you every step of the way. Of course other companies get you to the top but if you want a truly exceptional experience we cant’ recommend Private Expeditions enough – thank you to everyone involved.

We also stayed at Sal Salinero on the return from the climb - it felt like luxury and the beer tasted fabulous. Stayed in a wonderful suite - we have never slept so well.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple