“Wedding photography every Saturday”
Review of Sal Salinero Hotel

Sal Salinero Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
Vereeniging, Gauteng, South Africa
“Wedding photography every Saturday”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hotel is very nice and I really can't find fault with the anything. We stayed there two nights, one before and one after climbing Kilimanjaro. Unfortunately both nights were on a Saturday and on both days there were wedding parties taking photos and having a sort of reception between the rooms! It wasn't too much of a bother, but if it sounds like something that would bother you, then try to avoid this place on weekends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Wetteren, Belgium
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights as part of our kilimanjaro climbing. It's a perfect, clean and calm place to stay for preparation and relaxing afterwards.

The rooms are big, the bathrooms clean, staff very polite, dinner tasteful and the pool and gardens very nice!

We even could watch the semi-finals of the worldcup on a big screen in the garden!

Don't hesitate, you won't regret it

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2014

When i arrived to Kilimanjaro airport I were met by Isaac from G Adventures (Kilimanjaro tours) and the driver from the hotel. They explained me a lot about Moshi and made me feel very welcome. When i arrived at Sal Salinero they already knew my name and welcomed me and followed me to my room. I always met a big smile from the front desk and they always did their best to help me. The room were nice and clean, the pool were clean and the staff were very nice and made me feel like home. The food was allright but they were a bit slow in the kitchen even though i was their only customer the first night.
Poul at the front desk was very service minded and made me feel like one of their own (showed me around when 4 weddings were taking pictures in the beautiful surroundings.
A hotel with a big heart, beautiful sourroundings and staff. A nice way to calm down after climbing Kilimanjaro.
I would have liked a mosquito net, but all in all very happy for my stay.

Room Tip: Remember to tell the staff if something is not okay. They will for sure help you as soon as possible...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here for work. The rooms are OK, bathrooms are ripe for renovation and beds are a bit hard. The staff are nice, food mediocre.

My issue was the GM who was extremely rude and often unresponsive when I was trying to resolve a payment issue. Despite it not being my mistake, I was treated rudely, he didn't seem to know what was going on, and I never got an apology from him, not once.

I would recommend the owners reevaluate the GM, as the hotel is fine.

Be warned- if you stay on Saturday the whole place is taken over by people taking wedding photos.We could hardly get to our car as their were 4-5 wedding parties taking photos in the gardens.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights before and after claiming Kilimanjaro ,staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable with air conditioning, nice bar with cold beer and premier league football , small pool in pleasant surroundings, food and snacks good value. About a 20 minute walk into moshi and a short taxi ride back at about $5. Overall a really good experience. And yes we did get to the top of Kilimanjaro.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I stayed at Sal Salinero for two nights, right before and after climbing Kilimanjaro. While the grounds were very nice and the rooms were decent, I was expecting a lot more having read the glowing reviews of this as the best hotel in Moshi. The biggest perks were that the wifi did work pretty well, especially in common areas, and the hot water was HOT - it was incredible after 7 days on the mountain. I was really excited about the pool, but it looked a little neglected and there were no cushions on any of the lounge chairs. I ate at the restaurant several times, for the buffet breakfast and two dinners, and was not impressed. Service was very slow and offerings were meager, and often they were out of things on the menu. The hotel is pretty isolated, so if you don't want to get a taxi into town, you don't have a lot of other options for food. Some of the staff were helpful, but some were very distant. A piece of my suitcase was broken off when I got it out of storage after coming down from the mountain, and they really could not have cared less.

Overall, it was a decent spot to stay, but for double the price of other places in town with similar amenities (minus the pool), I don't think it was a great value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mary B
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed here before and after my Kilimanjaro trek and i was impressed. The gardens are very luxurious, the rooms are more than adequate, the food is decent and they have a wide vatiety of local and imported beers. It's about a 30 minute walk from here to the centre of Moshi - you can ask the reception staff to call you a cab but i felt i was overcharged and the driver only wanted to take me to his friends' shops so it's best to walk if you know the way.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo