“The best hotel in Tanzania”
Review of Honey Badger Lodge

Honey Badger Lodge
Ranked #2 of 77 Speciality Lodging in Moshi
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The honey badger lodge is an amazing place to stay for anyone of any age. It's a great place for family's as the kids will love the pool and free space to explore. The pool doubles as a excellent place to relax and take in the sun with a nice cold beverage. The location is great as Moshi town is only 5 minutes away and the airport is 40. The staff at the honey badger are excellent, supper friendly as everyone of them will great you. They keep the place supper clean and are always there when you need help. It's not price and worth every dollar. From big groups to a couple retreat its the place to go.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jared12345
HoneyBadgerLodge, Manager at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

What a wonderful compliment! We are delighted to hear you call us the best hotel in Tanzania! Thank you for this and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are working hard to offer something that we truly believe in, a place that people can relax, feel they are receiving great value for money and learn more about the Tanzanian culture and hospitality whilst also doubling as a centre for community development.

We hope to welcome you back anytime you can make it
Joseph, Jenny and all the Honey Badger team

Reviewed 11 August 2013

The honey badger lodge was the perfect place to stay throughout our 5 week journey to Tanzania, their incredible staff organized everything for our group and were incredible at making all of our dreams come true. When staying here you cannot help but call it home. With the incredible staff and amazing amenities it is the perfect place to stay for anyone visiting the city of Moshi, or Tanzania in general! If i ever return to Tanzania this will definitely be the place that i stay! We had amazing guides on all our trips, and an incredible place to relax! i encourage everyone whose going to Tanzania to stay at the Honey Badger Lodge in order to get the best out of their travels

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We very much enjoyed organizing all aspects of your trip and are thrilled that you enjoyed the diverse package we put together for you. This is all part of the bespoke service that we offer. Whether it be a safari, a mountain climb, day trips, overnight trips, camping out with the Maasai or experiencing the Chagga culture - we are amazed at how much you managed to fit into your stay and hope that the wonderful memories you picked up still remain very vivid for you.

We truly hope you will be back and of course hope to warmly welcome you, your friends and your family to the lodge whenever you can make it.

Warmest regards
Joseph, Jenny and all the Honey Badger team.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The staff at Honey Badger are all very friendly and helpful; we enjoyed our two day stay there and the safari they organised for us was wonderful. They are right to say that they only use the best safari guide and cook! Julius Mushi was not only an excellent game spotter but a very good safe driver and a competent mechanic to boot. If he had not been so I have no doubt that our trip would have been short and difficult as we ran into problems early on the second day. However, he fixed the vehicle at the roadside so that we could continue on our journey and we saw a huge number of all kinds of game, antelopes, gazelles, all the big and little cats, elephant, rhino, game birds galore. Our cook, Rama is amazingly good at conjuring up fantastic meals with minimal facilities, I just found it hard to leave any food! They are both very polite, caring and considerate people and I thoroughly recommend them both to anyone planning a safari. Safari njema!

Room Tip: There is no need for a/c as it was quite cool at night, although we were there in winter
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kate A

Thank you for taking the time to review the lodge. We are delighted that you enjoyed your safari. Once again we are sorry for your car troubles, this is obviously not an intended part of any trip and quite unusual. However you will also be pleased to hear that we have upgraded our fleet of cars making breakdowns even more unusual. We have already passed your compliments onto our safari team and Julius and Rama send their warm greetings to you.

Warmest regards to all,
Jenny, Joseph and all the team

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Great location to start your safari or Kili climb. Super friendly staff which makes you feel at home instantly. Amazing pizza! Nice pool, lovely garden and good eco-rooms. A place to come back to or stay longer to do volunteer work/learn more about their community programs.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank D7064OQLisaB

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our lodge. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and very much appreciate your kind words and your recognition of what we do and what we are trying to achieve here, we are constantly striving to be as community and environmentally conscious as we possibly can, believing that through our business we can truly affect a positive change in our community as well as act as an example for others in the tourism industry.

We welcome you back whenever you can, and of course also welcome your friends and family,
Jenny and Joseph

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We have just returned from a 10 day safari organised by Honey Badger Lodge. Joey, Jenny and Amos, we cannot thank you enough for your attention to detail, for understanding exactly what sort of safari would best suit our group and for the time and care you put into organising it.

In terms of accommodation, you built in a variety of types ranging from a super-comfy lodge at Karatu to a more laid back option of tented camps and then lodges that fitted in-between. This provided us with variety and a range of differing experiences. The accommodation was always comfortable, clean and the people involved always friendly and extremely helpful.

The safari itself was incredible.

Julius was the perfect choice of driver/guide for us. His driving was impeccable in sometimes challenging driving conditions; he quickly picked up our interest in birds and then demonstrated his amazing observation skills of seeing birds seemingly out of the corner of his eye (with the aid of Julius and a trusty bird book we identified 113 species); he went above and beyond the call of duty in finding particular large animals; he was very thoughtful of our well-being at all times and was considerate without being intrusive.

The range of national parks we visited was perfect, giving us the best opportunity to view wildlife as some national parks have a greater preponderance of one or a couple of species over another. We loved visiting the Hadzbe tribe and going hunting with them and the visit to the Maasai Boma and the Datoga brass 'factory' were unforgettable experiences.

Our total of 4 nights at Honey Badger were, wonderful. Jenny and Joey you are excellent hosts and your staff always so helpful and friendly. The food is always good and of course the pool is incredibly welcome. Loved our round room! The monkeys are a bonus for entertainment value and of course not forgetting the 2 littlest monkeys who are both wonderful kids!

Thank you again for a fabulous experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pam T

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review and most importantly thank you for coming back to Honey Badger and letting us arrange all aspects of your trip for you. We all know that this trip was a long time in the making and are so happy that it lived up or dare I say exceeded your expectations. We loved having you and your family staying at the lodge and really hope to be welcoming you back soon for the next Teacher training workshop in January, where we can once again reminisce about your trip. It is funny that whilst we live here and are surrounded by the wonders of our country, seeing things through the enthusiastic eyes of our guests makes it impossible for us to forget just how lucky we are.

thank you again for the review, for coming and also thank you for spending time with our cheeky monkeys!!

All the best and see you soon,
Jenny and Joey

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Honet Badger is a delightful haven of peace, with clean excellent rooms, a relaxed atmosphere in a garden setting round a pool. But most of all the staff were uniformly a delight, good English, helpful and always smiling. Often laughing. Food couldn't be faulted either!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank a g
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, by telling others about your experience it really helps us to grow. We very much enjoyed hosting you and welcome you back whenever you can.

Jenny

Reviewed 24 June 2013

This review is embarrassingly massively overdue and that has absolutely no reflection on the enthusiasm I have for Honey Badger, Jenny and Joseph, and their entire team. I live in New York City and have traveled all over the world and never have I met such dedicated and welcoming people. Every single aspect of this place - the beautiful setting, the authentic and cozy rooms, the insanely delicious food, the hospitality and care of the employees, the social aspect of the pool (you can tell this place is a mecca for the locals!) and lounge areas, the school and philanthropic efforts incorporated into the lodge, and the connections that Jenny and Joseph have to the local community when it comes to booking tours, securing gear and supplies and problem solving - is so well done that I cannot recommend this place highly enough. Add all of this to the fact that they organized the most incredible mountain guide in the entire world to take me up the mountain, and I was truly left with my heart aching to visit them again as soon as possible.

My friend and I came to Moshi to climb Kilimanjaro in January 2013. Neither of us are climbers and we had decided to take the trip on a whim. We found Honey Badger through TripAdvisor, and I still thank my lucky stars that we made the decision to stay with them. We had originally planned to find a guide and crew when we arrived in Moshi, but as the dates grew closer we got nervous and decided to see if we could arrange the climb through HB, and again I cannot express how pleased we are that we did so. My friend is diabetic and because of our lack of experience in climbing and little preparation we wanted to make sure we had an experienced guide. Jenny and Joseph and Amos, their tours and safari manager, were so quick to reply to our email and reassure us that we were in good hands. We corresponded for a couple of weeks and they were so helpful and knowledgeable. It was a huge relief to have such kind and experienced people looking out for us.

We arrived in Moshi in the middle of the night and were met with smiling faces and helping hands to welcome us to their gorgeous little piece of heaven in Tanzania. We were at the lodge for two days before the climb began, and in that little amount of time we already felt so comforted and Jenny and Joseph were around constantly to check up on everyone and answer any questions we may have had. Our guide (Epa) and assistant guide (Martin) came to the lodge the day before our climb to introduce themselves, talk about the climb, and make sure we had all of the necessary gear. We were so incredibly nervous for the climb but they had so much faith in us and made us feel so comforted that they would be taking care of us. Throughout the climb as we got to know Epa and Martin more we learned that they were two of the kindest, strongest, most passionate, funny, charismatic, driven, lovely men. We still keep in touch with them to this day, and we cried when we had to say goodbye (although they came to visit us at Honey Badger a few times just to check on us after the climb as we stayed there an extra 4 days). If you are going to Moshi to climb Kilimanjaro, it is an absolute must to organize it through HB and try to get Epa as your guide. He is just too wonderful for words to describe.

The climb was tough, but Epa was so experienced that just by looking at us he knew the exact pace to keep us at to ensure that we would be comfortable and that we would have enough energy to make it to the top. He and Martin were always looking after us, making sure we were well fed and hydrated, not feeling sick, and maintaining a strong will. They were so encouraging that I think they had more faith in us than we had in ourselves. Epa took such wonderful care of my friend and spent the whole time helping her keep her blood sugar in check and making sure that he was aware of every detail of her feelings and health. During the climb he told us some incredible stories from his past climbs, including taking up a blind man and a couple in their 80s among many many others. He is so well-respected on the mountain and has climbed to the top hundreds of times with people of all skill levels, ages, and handicaps. Our porters and cook were also amazing and so so helpful and friendly.

I still do not know how I made it to the top of that mountain, but I did. I don't think I would have made it with any other guides. Epa and Martin and their encouragement and care are the only reason my friend and I were able to accomplish that feat. The day we returned to Honey Badger my body was in such exhaustion (and probably shock because previous to this I probably hadn't been to a gym in 3 years) that I ended up getting extremely sick. And I'm talking extremely sick, sicker than I have ever been in my whole life. I was literally 2 seconds away from going to the hospital. But Jenny and Joseph took it upon themselves to personally take care of me, bringing me food and medicine to my room and checking in on me constantly. You would think that being so sick so far away from home would be even scarier but they have so many local connections and were so reassuring that despite all of the pain I was in I felt really safe and nurtured. We were planning to go to Zanzibar after the climb but when I got sick we had to stay in Moshi and I have to say, I am actually glad that happened. I could have stayed there another month if work would have allowed.

All in all this was the most memorable trip I've ever taken and it was all due to Jenny and Joseph and the wonderful people at Honey Badger. I wish everyone could experience this wonderful place and I cannot wait to return :)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank alexandratavel

We are not sure how we can respond adequately to this review. We would like to express our uttermost gratitude to you for taking the time to relate your story and your experience with everyone out there! We very much appreciate this. It is when people tell their real stories that others can really get a flavour or who we are and what we do.

We were delighted to host you both on your trip and even more delighted for you for your achievements.

Many many thanks