“inspiring”
Review of Honey Badger Lodge

Honey Badger Lodge
Ranked #2 of 71 Speciality Lodging in Moshi
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had a great time! Not only are the lodges, the pool, the food, the surroundings great, the best part were the people! Everybody was so sweet and very willing to make everybody as comfortable as possible.
only difficult part was that is somewhat outside of moshi town, so taxi's are neccesary.
highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments and for taking the time to do this review. We are always happy to hear feedback and we will certainly pass your comments on to our staff. We hope that you are able to revisit us again sometime in the future. Jenny & Joey

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed here for four nights after a Kili trek. Jenny, Joseph and their fabulous staff made our stay a truly personal experience. On arrival, we were given a drink and a lovely flannel to refresh ourselves and then taken down to our room.
The rooms were traditional African rooms in style - the beds had mosquito nets which was needed as I was eaten alive in the evenings outside. Beds were comfortable, bathrooms basic but perfectly functional and there was plenty of storage. The only downside was that there is no air conditioning and it was, at times, unbearable hot. But this is a property that prides itself on producing the majority of energy it uses and so, along with the community projects the Honey Badger supports, you kind of feel that you are part of it in going without a few little luxuries.
The location was not an issue to me. I prefer to experience some of the country I've come to visit and so to stay in a commercial hotel in the centre of Moshi was not my thing. The Honey Badger is a 5 minute taxi ride into down ($5) and so not an issue. The staff are happy to arrange a car for you and the driver will come back for you whenever - there is no issues.
Walking trips can be arranged from the lodge - everything from Kilimanjaro to waterfalls and inbetween. It was fabulous to be able to wander out of the gate and be in REAL Africa. The locals were friendly and we didn't feel threatened at any point.
We booked a day safari trip to Arusha which was excellent and our driver, Nixon, was the best African driver we'd experienced (others tend to dice with death). We had a fabulous day and although there is no lions, etc in Arusha, it was a great experience in the limited time we had. We sat overlooking the lake eating our lunch, with hippo wallowing in the background one way and giraffe striding across the plain the other. It was perfect.
The food is of excellent standard - breakfast is included in the rate and is of a high standard. Lunch is from a simple menu but with plenty of choice and dinner is a fixed 3 course affair that you have to order by 4pm. Dinner is served at 7pm, all together with other guests - it's a real family affair. When we stayed, we had the pleasure of Joseph's mother dining and she is a real character - it all added to the atmosphere and made it personal, which is lacking in so many places these days. If you didn't like the main meal on offer, there was no fuss, they were happy to fix you a sandwich or something simple.
The bar was open all hours - basically, if you wanted a drink you could get one. The barmen and security staff were fantastically entertaining (we learnt how to dance like a Maasai warrior) and they showed us fascinating photos of life back in their tribe. We also learned some simple Swahili and had great fun teaching them some English.
Finally, the pool area. The pool area was beautiful with wooden hammock style loungers with cushioned pads on top (tremendously comfortable) and the pool was pristinely clean. It was very therapeutic to sip a drink while watching a lizard or monkey at a short distance.
There was nothing about this place that I disliked - it was fabulous and I will be back.

Room Tip: Sleep quality is reduced purely because of the intense heat we suffered some nights. As I said, it w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback and your comments, We really do appreciate to hear from our guests. Glad you were able to enjoy the family feel of Honey Badger, it is what we try to share with our guests. The hot nights in Moshi only last for a few months of the year and it seems you hit the hot ones, 'pole'. As you already said, we do try to be environmentally conscious and therefore we opt for fans, which I hope you found helped a bit. We enjoyed having you to stay and hope that you will be able to visit us again sometime soon. Mama Lucy was thrilled to hear you found her entertaining. Karibuni Jenny and Joey

Reviewed 6 November 2013

This is Africa at its best.Warm hearted, spotlessly clean, beautiful gardens complete with monkeys and a sparkling pool. Rooms are simple but nicely decorated and the new rooms are fabulous. The pool sparkles under the shadow of Kilimanjaro ,when the mountain decides to show her summit, the views are stupendous. Above all, the owners and their staff are wonderful and proud to be associated with the Honey Badger. The philosophy of the Honey Badger of self improvement and self worth and pride.needs to be applied to Africa .This was my third visit and it just gets better each visit. Thank you Jenny and Joey and all the Honey Badger staff for making our stay again so wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

You are always most welcome and its lovely that you keep coming back. Thank you for your kind comments, and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Jenny & Joey

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We enjoyed the peaceful location with nearby views of Kilimanjaro after a rigorous safari. Beautiful pool area, spacious room, delicious cocktails and extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming staff. Loved the weekend pizzas and coffee tour they organised for us. They also organise cars to take you into Moshi and to airport. Great to see the community focus. Well recommended.
Barb & Terry
Australia.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I last reviewed Honey Badger almost two years ago and since then I've become a regular visitor. I've watched this place develop and grow into a superb little lodge with excellent facilities and staff (most of whom have been there since I paid my first visit nearly 3 years ago). Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them - on my latest visit they even fixed my glasses and washed my car when I wasn't looking. The staff obviously have a very good relationship with the owners and vice versa and they all seem to take such a pride in the lodge and their work there.

There are now more rooms available, and what used to be a camping area is now a beautiful landscaped garden, which adds to the peace and tranquility of the place. There are lots of little extra touches throughout which reflect the care and attention to detail which is obviously so important to the owners. The rooms are spotless, the beds are inviting, and the showers are great.

The pool is beautiful and the restaurant/bar has a lovely atmosphere, especially in the evening. (I can highly recommend the pizzas). There is plenty of seating around the pool and even though it can get busy at the weekend with local visitors, it still has a very peaceful feel.

This has to be one of the quietest places to stay in Moshi and I would certainly favour it over any of the town center hotels, without any hesitation at all. I cannot speak highly enough of Honey Badger and will definitely be continuing my regular visits. Thanks again to Joey, Jenny and all the staff who make me feel so welcome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Balitraveller53
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I've been at Honey Badger just and only for two days.
The idea wa to take few days after the Safari and before getting back home, it's been worthwhile.
Relaxing at the lodge, going to Moshi during the day, good food and marvelous rooms, clean and really big.
I'd go back to the Honey Badger and I would definitely suggest to everyone.
They can organize tours, safari and trips to the Kilimajaro.
Really happy about it

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I wish I had come here sooner! It is a restful haven and a great place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of Arusha and Moshi. My sister and her friend were visiting-they are both well travelled so we decided not to do the usual Zanzibar option. This was a great choice-the rooms, the pool, the service and the food is second to none. I would recommend Honey Badger to anyone needing a bit of R&R after volunteering or doing a safari or a climb. We also did a great day trip to Lake Challa from here. Jenny and Joey are doing a wonderful job helping the local villagers and at the same time are keeping it all environmentally friendly. The solar energy was very consistent and we were able to keep our devices charged on mains power. The wireless connection was great around the pool and restaurant area. Thank you all for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: The rooms are all great-some people comment on the noise from the chickens and the dogs but hey TIA...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends