Honey Badger Lodge
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspizzasecond chancelocal communitypool and bar areagreat place to chillshallow enddelicious fooddriver guidesolar powerday safarimonkeys playingmoshi towngreat poolhome from homeplace to staycoffee tourlake manyara
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I would have marked the HBL excellent except for we had a big problem with the laundry service. We were unsure it could be done by next day check-out but the staff convinced us it would be ready in time. I managed to do the same amount of hand washing and it dried in the sun in an hour so I felt a little better, until... during the night it rained ALOT and I lay awake hoping they had taken the washing inside and not left it outside. Of course when we came to check out we were handed a pile of neatly folded dripping wet washing! We weren't even offered a plastic bag to put it in... It wasn't until the owner came over that the staff even tried to resolve the problem and I also didn't appreciate being told constantly by everyone it was because they didn't have dryers in Africa. I do not have a dryer and I line dry all my washing but I never carelessly leave it out overnight. Anyways, eventually it was all sorted and the poor girl working there worked hard to get it ironed dry which was appreciated - despite there being iron burn marks on the clothes, luckily she had turned them inside out so it doesn't show! But needless to say only do laundry if you are there more than 3 days and have checked the weather forecast yourself! For the rest our stay was excellent. They have free wifi ;) which was great. Nice room. I LOVED the soap handmade by locals. Very peaceful place and the pizza was to absolutely DELICIOUS. LOVED the pizza!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guests
As I did at the time I would like to once again express our sincerest apologies for the issue that arose with your laundry. This is not a common occurrence at our lodge and I can assure you that we have discussed the issue at length with our front of house and housekeeping team. They also apologies for the inconvenience caused to you both. We are glad that despite this very unfortunate issue you enjoyed the rest of your stay at our lodge. And of course we warmly welcome you back another time.

Jenny ans the whole Honey Badger Team

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having stayed at Honey Badger Lodge before, I was looking forward to my return trip - and what a surprise. Jenny & Joey Renju have really up graded their place. They now have a lovely lounge area - great for playing games, relaxing or watching Wimbledon on their TV screen at the bar. (perfect time to sample their great cocktails - only way to watch Wimbledon!) Also the food is amazing now - wonderful new menu. Lots to chose from and great variety - their lunch menu is particularly good and of course they still have their fab pizza's. The pool was looking wonderful and such a lovely place to sit and chill. Whilst there we went on a safari to a nearby tented lodge in West Kilimanjaro - George was our driver/guide and we really had a great time. Also did the usual Daladala trip into Moshi - a short and interesting ride, which really gives you the feel of the country and if you are lucky Kilimanjaro will peep out for you to see. You don't have to do the Dala Dala a taxi can do the trip in 15 mins. but the dala dala has great entertainment value.
Thank you to all the staff at Honey Badger and to Jenny & Joey, for making my return trip so memorable and congratulations on the renovations - I just LOVE your place !!!

Room Tip: All rooms are individual and have lovely aspects and are set in beautiful gardens
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane K
HoneyBadgerLodge, Owner at Honey Badger Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our lodge and for your continued support by your enjoyable repeat visits. We love welcoming people back and very much enjoy that our guests feel as at home here as we do! Come back soon!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is the second time I have had a group stay here. This time I brought 17 people. We stayed here for 7 nights over a period of 10 days. What I like about Honey Badger is that not only is the setting and quality of the lodge great value for money, the facility is clean, beautiful, but the staff are also incredibly friendly and remember returning guests as well. They remembered my daughter's name.
I only had to make one call and Honey Badger booked my lodge stay, safari, tours, transfers and meals. The meals were great. There is a mixture of local and Western food available including pizza and burgers.
Our kids used the pool which was extremely clean. If you get up early (around 7am) you can spot monkeys close to the pool.
They even helped us arrange a birthday cake for one of the members of our team as well as a short notice tour to a close by waterfall when our plans fell through for the day.
I highly recommend Honey Badger Lodge.

Room Tip: Some rooms are listed as double, but we were able to sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. It had a double bed and 2 twin beds.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Garheid

The title of your review hits the nail on the head... this is just what we are trying to achieve and are so very happy that once again you enjoyed your stay at our lodge and that you felt completely at home. We love hosting your group and of course welcome you back again next year or even sooner if its possible. Thank you again for the kindness you showed us all and also for the kind words in your review.

The Whole Honey Badger Team

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 night and 4 day it's out of this world lovely people and environment. Pool is very clean and well looked after.The trips are well organised went on safari very good thankyou Nixon. Excellent value for money. The food is all made fresh and is out of this world. Well done to Joshua and Jenny and now the 2 little ones Thankyou again guys just wished I'd we could of stayed longer keep up the good work you and your staff

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for finding time to write this review and for still thinking of us after so much time has passed. That must mean you are ready for another visit (if nothing else there are now 3 little ones!!!). We are delighted you enjoyed your safari, we have invested further into our safaris and have added new cars to our fleet, upgraded our equipment and continue to empower and train our fantastic tours and safari team, karibuni tena!
Warmest regards from the whole Honey Badger Team

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Honey Badger Lodge

I have enjoyed this wonderful lodge for a week now, and thankfully have a week remaining. I already know that I will be sad to leave. I always like to discover the more rustic, less touristy places to stay. With all my travelling, I think Honey Badger has been my greatest find. I love everything about the place & in particular, the owners concept for running a successful business.

It is a family run business & such care has been taken to every detail.. The employees go through annual training & it shows. They are professional, courteous, gracious & so very helpful. The most appealing concept for me is that the lodge bases it's operation on sustainability, thus everything is solar. They are involved with & totally committed to their community with food, proceeds & encouraging volunteerism. They advertise themselves as "the community conscious tourist option" - a model that hopefully will be adopted by other resorts. I am now volunteering in a school KYGN Kilimanjaro Young Girls in Need, through their encouragement.
As if I wasn't happy enough with this lodge, the amazing food has been an added bonus. They have a wonderful pool & delightful, well tended gardens.
I wouldn't hesitate to return or highly recommend this place to anyone. It is located about 5 miles out of Moshi & at first I was a little disappointed with the location but as I stepped into the compound, I knew instantly that I had scored a winner! If you are coming to Moshi, don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

I am sorry for taking some time to respond to your review, it is by no means a reflection of how grateful we are for not only writing such a kind review but most importantly for choosing Honey Badger and being such a joy to have around. We very much loved having you hear. Our staff have asked after you on more than one occasion, its nice when people are here for some time and can really get to know us and the place and you very quickly became part of the Honey Badger Family. We hope all is well with you at home and we also hope that one day we can welcome you back again. Finally thank you for your kind words on our training, this is something that is growing in strength year by year and we enjoy taking time to invest in our fantastic team.

Jenny, Joey and the whole Honey Badger team