“Best hotel around”
Review of Stella Maris Lodge

Stella Maris Lodge
Ranked #1 of 75 Speciality Lodging in Moshi
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here while participating on a medical mission trip. From the second I met Teddy and Ino at the airport, I felt welcomed. Over the course of the two weeks, I felt like a part of the family. All of the staff were friendly and welcoming, and the service was always prompt and far surpassed any and every expectation I had. The restaurant is awesome and the location is perfect as you're only a few hours away from many of Tanzania's best tourist attractions. Accommodations are very comfortable, as each room has hot water and air conditioning. Perhaps my favorite part about this hotel, is that it helps support the Stella Maris English Primary School. By staying here, you are helping local children obtain an education that will better prepare them for successful futures.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The staff at this hotel are the most hospitable people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They welcomed us with fresh juice right as we stepped into our hotel room. The rooms are equipped with comfy beds, soft blankets, and mosquito nets. The kitchen staff will exceed your expectations and will be there at any time to cook up delicious food. If I ever get the chance to travel back to Tanzania, I would without a doubt choose the Stella Maris again, because not only is this the most beautiful hotel I've stayed at, all the money goes to the elementary school right next door!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of Kilimanjaro
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was lucky enough to be able to stay at this amazingly affordable and accommodating hotel for a couple of weeks in May. The staff could not have been more welcoming, and I was able to make relationships with them and felt like I was home away from home. I would highly recommend Stella Maris! I met the most amazing people and you can't beat the view of Mt. Kilimanjaro from outside your window!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Coming to Africa was a step that was very much out of my comfort zone, but the staff and friends that I met while staying at Stella Maris made me feel like I belonged there.The hotel is right next to a school where kids enjoy playing with visitors. The food was beyond anything I could have imagined receiving; it was tasty and very healthy! The view from the top floor looks right out at Mt. Kilimanjaro and it is absolutely breath-taking. The rooms were clean and had air conditioning, the showers had hot water, and the beds were equipped with mosquito nets and very soft blankets. This hotel was the best place for any traveler to stay and the staff will honestly help you with anything and make you feel right at home!

Room Tip: The lobby has wifi, but when a lot of people are on it, it doesn't work; suggest taking a hot-sp...
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I traveled to Tanzania in May with a group of friends for a nursing service project and stayed at Stella Maris. If you want a beautiful hotel with awesome staff and great food, Stella Maris is the place for you. There are two floors of rooms, a main dining center on the first floor, and a bar on the top floor with an awesome view of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Honestly, I was nervous about traveling to an unknown country with a group of friends, but the staff at the hotel are so incredibly welcoming and hospitable. Teddy and Inno are GREAT and always make sure you are welcome and comfortable in the hotel. Not to mention all proceeds of Stella Maris go to funding the school. Great place to stay and benefiting the wonderful children of Tanzania.

1  Thank Nicole K
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The staff makes this hotel exceptional. They welcome you with open arms and they are always smiling. The lodge is kept very clean and the rooms too. The wait staff in the dining room is very attentive. The vehicles for transport are clean and well maintained as well. We spent some time volunteering at the school as well. If you have time, as Jess if you can spend some time working with the students. It is an amazing experience too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were fortunate to stay at this wonderful lodge before and after our Kilimanjaro climb. The staff are the most welcoming and hospitable group we have ever encountered on our travels! Teddy, Innocents (Big and Small :-), and the entire staff made us all feel welcome from the moment we arrived (at 3:00 am!). Visiting the adjacent primary school was a treat as well. The lodge helps to fund the school, so it was a bonus to know our money was going to help these young school children. Beautiful view of the mountain, and a very peaceful setting. The hotel will also provide a ride into Moshi (at a reasonable cost), and can arrange day trips to a variety of locations nearby.

Room Tip: As a family of four, we found room 202 to be perfect for us. It had a 'master' bedroom with...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family