“Teddy is amazing. Stella Maris is awesome too. But Teddy is amazing.”
Review of Stella Maris Lodge

Stella Maris Lodge
Ranked #2 of 71 Speciality Lodging in Moshi
“Teddy is amazing. Stella Maris is awesome too. But Teddy is amazing.”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Teddy is the woman that runs the show at Stella Maris, she is amazing. Her staff reflects this amazingness. The hotel and staff was much more than just accommodating. I felt more at home at Stella Maris, with Teddy & staff, than I do when I am at my own home. A paradox. It doesn't end there. There is more.
The view from Stella Maris is ridiculous. The hotel faces Kilimanjaro. Between the hotel and the mountain is a small blue school with a dirt and gravel playing field. The school is maintained by the hotel and donations and is full of happy, grateful, and polite students. Just beyond the school there are corn fields peppered with sunflowers. The fields go on as far as can be seen until the site of Kilimanjaro dominates the entire seen. It was like sleeping in front of a giant postcard for 10 days.

Room Tip: North side faces the mountain. But if you don't get a room with a view there is a giant laid ba...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maximilian R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
Queens Village, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at Stella Maris for a little over a week and a half, and I couldn't be happier with the service from all the staff. The hotel itself was well maintained and very comfortable. Also the food was great too! Would highly recommend as a place to stay while in the Moshi/Kilimanjaro area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at the Stella Maris for two weeks on a medical trip, and the staff and facilities were just excellent. Teddy and Ino and the rest of the Stella Maris staff took care of us at every turn, and made sure we felt as comfortable as possible while driving, going out to eat, exchanging money, getting groceries, etc. The hotel has air conditioning, great food, hot showers, and one of the most beautiful views of Kilimanjaro we saw down there. They arranged everything for our one-day safari as well. The hotel also supports an adjacent primary school, and getting to meet some of the children was one of our best experiences. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dave62014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We spent 10 days at the hotel. When the clouds cleared away, the view of Kilimanjaro from our room was impressive. Teddy, Scolastica and the dining room staff were very attentive. The rooms were comfortable and service was great. We volunteered at the school and Jess and the rest of the teachers were very accommodating. Innocent was very helpful too, picking us at the airport and driving us to Moshi. We felt very much at home there and missed the place and people after we left. We would definitely stay there again and hope to in the not-too-distant future. It is great to know that the profits from the hotel goes towards supporting the school.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at Stella Maris Lodge with a large group for a nursing service trip in May of 2014 and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. We prepared for the worst and ended up with the best. Teddy and Inno greeted us at the airport with beautiful smiles and literally open arms. Those smiles never faded throughout our two week stay and the open arms never dropped. Teddy, Inno, Jessica, and the rest of the staff at Stella Maris would do anything you need to make your stay more comfortable. There was a beautiful lobby next to a large multipurpose area where we ate our delicious meals. The hotel rooms were extremely comfortable and offered air conditioning and warm water as well as mosquito nets over the bed. The rooms were set up like a little condo with two bedrooms and a bathroom and two beds in each room. They each had a balcony, a safe, and an armor for hanging clothes. Laundry service is available. You can exchange money at the front desk. There is a school full of amazing children a stones throw from the hotel that is funded by some of the money you spend to stay. They love to play and have visitors!! The hotel also has a clear view from the bar and lounge on the 3rd floor of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

This trip was more than I could imagine all thanks to the wonderful, sweet, and welcoming staff of this hotel.
You WILL NOT regret your decision to stay at Stella Maris during your stay in this beautiful country.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Stella Maris Lodge is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at! As soon as I got there, the staff greeted me with mango juice on a silver platter as soon as I got out of the car. The people that work at the lodge are unbelievably friendly and make you feel like you're at a home away from home. I was apprehensive about traveling to Tanzania. Whoever, the Stella Maris, equipped with delicious meals prepared fresh daily, soft blankets and mosquitoes nets around the beds, and hot water for showers made me feel at ease. It has an overall great atmosphere. I would definitely recommend staying here if you plan on visiting Moshi!

• Stayed May 2014
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here while participating on a medical mission trip. From the second I met Teddy and Ino at the airport, I felt welcomed. Over the course of the two weeks, I felt like a part of the family. All of the staff were friendly and welcoming, and the service was always prompt and far surpassed any and every expectation I had. The restaurant is awesome and the location is perfect as you're only a few hours away from many of Tanzania's best tourist attractions. Accommodations are very comfortable, as each room has hot water and air conditioning. Perhaps my favorite part about this hotel, is that it helps support the Stella Maris English Primary School. By staying here, you are helping local children obtain an education that will better prepare them for successful futures.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business