“A Great Hotel”
Review of Stella Maris Lodge

Stella Maris Lodge
Ranked #1 of 77 Speciality Lodging in Moshi
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for about 2 weeks in early June and was very pleased. Everything about the experience was above and beyond. Teddy and the staff were amazing, hardworking, always friendly and so accommodating, they really went out of their way to make sure everyone was comfortable. I felt right at home very quickly. Everything was well maintained and clean, and the food was excellent. I would gladly come back and stay again and would highly recommend it to friends,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

From the second I walked in the door I was treated like family. Warm greeting, juice, offer to use an extra laptop in my room because I was so tired, etc. Hospitality is the key to everything and I felt right at home. I stayed in room 101 and had a great view of Mt Kili. The room was very comfortable and the bed was amazing - I had a great rest. The balcony attached to my room was also fantastic. The bathroom leaves a bit to be desired, but how much time do you spend there while on vacation? All proceeds go to the school they are building next door, so if all else fails, that should make you feel warm and fuzzy. In short, I loved it and would stay there again - actually, I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else in/near Moshi. Thanks SML crew (big shoutout to Teddy!) for a great stay!

Room Tip: Room 101 has a great view of Kili
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Teddy is the woman that runs the show at Stella Maris, she is amazing. Her staff reflects this amazingness. The hotel and staff was much more than just accommodating. I felt more at home at Stella Maris, with Teddy & staff, than I do when I am at my own home. A paradox. It doesn't end there. There is more.
The view from Stella Maris is ridiculous. The hotel faces Kilimanjaro. Between the hotel and the mountain is a small blue school with a dirt and gravel playing field. The school is maintained by the hotel and donations and is full of happy, grateful, and polite students. Just beyond the school there are corn fields peppered with sunflowers. The fields go on as far as can be seen until the site of Kilimanjaro dominates the entire seen. It was like sleeping in front of a giant postcard for 10 days.

Room Tip: North side faces the mountain. But if you don't get a room with a view there is a giant laid ba...
1  Thank Maximilian R
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at Stella Maris for a little over a week and a half, and I couldn't be happier with the service from all the staff. The hotel itself was well maintained and very comfortable. Also the food was great too! Would highly recommend as a place to stay while in the Moshi/Kilimanjaro area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed at the Stella Maris for two weeks on a medical trip, and the staff and facilities were just excellent. Teddy and Ino and the rest of the Stella Maris staff took care of us at every turn, and made sure we felt as comfortable as possible while driving, going out to eat, exchanging money, getting groceries, etc. The hotel has air conditioning, great food, hot showers, and one of the most beautiful views of Kilimanjaro we saw down there. They arranged everything for our one-day safari as well. The hotel also supports an adjacent primary school, and getting to meet some of the children was one of our best experiences. I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

1  Thank dave62014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We spent 10 days at the hotel. When the clouds cleared away, the view of Kilimanjaro from our room was impressive. Teddy, Scolastica and the dining room staff were very attentive. The rooms were comfortable and service was great. We volunteered at the school and Jess and the rest of the teachers were very accommodating. Innocent was very helpful too, picking us at the airport and driving us to Moshi. We felt very much at home there and missed the place and people after we left. We would definitely stay there again and hope to in the not-too-distant future. It is great to know that the profits from the hotel goes towards supporting the school.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed at Stella Maris Lodge with a large group for a nursing service trip in May of 2014 and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. We prepared for the worst and ended up with the best. Teddy and Inno greeted us at the airport with beautiful smiles and literally open arms. Those smiles never faded throughout our two week stay and the open arms never dropped. Teddy, Inno, Jessica, and the rest of the staff at Stella Maris would do anything you need to make your stay more comfortable. There was a beautiful lobby next to a large multipurpose area where we ate our delicious meals. The hotel rooms were extremely comfortable and offered air conditioning and warm water as well as mosquito nets over the bed. The rooms were set up like a little condo with two bedrooms and a bathroom and two beds in each room. They each had a balcony, a safe, and an armor for hanging clothes. Laundry service is available. You can exchange money at the front desk. There is a school full of amazing children a stones throw from the hotel that is funded by some of the money you spend to stay. They love to play and have visitors!! The hotel also has a clear view from the bar and lounge on the 3rd floor of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

This trip was more than I could imagine all thanks to the wonderful, sweet, and welcoming staff of this hotel.
You WILL NOT regret your decision to stay at Stella Maris during your stay in this beautiful country.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends