“Hmmm...not that good”
Review of Springlands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Springlands Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
London
“Hmmm...not that good”
Reviewed 28 February 2008

I have being coming to Tanzania, and Moshi in Particular, for almost a decade and I think I have probably stayed in every hotel in this town during that time. When a friend told me about the springlands I decided to move from my room at the Keys Hotel and try the springlands out. After two days I moved back to the keys hotel. Why? Three deciding factors:

- Location: Who decided to build a hotel next to the slums on the wrong side of the tracks? Obviously land is cheaper there but if you have no transport (thankfully I had my own car) then it really is a long walk into town and it's not safe to walk back to the springlands in the dark. Even with a car the hotel was hard to find and meant that having a couple of beers in town required a taxi ride back.

- Price: HOW MUCH???? I felt that the rooms were really, really poor value considering the other options in Moshi. I expect that they advertise high 'rack rates' as most guests have prepaid their accomodation through a tour company but this means that if you are not with a tour company then you're paying well over the odds, especially as the prices are virtually non-negotiable.

- Atmosphere: In Moshi the best description of the atmosphere in most hotels is probably 'somnolent' and this certainly applies to The Springlands. I'm not saying that I expect the place to be jumping when I arrive but the Springlands was mostly empty and is certainly not the place to meet people.

Anyway, if you're looking at this review 'cause your tour company is going to be putting you up at the Springlands then don't worry - it's safe, clean and the staff are reasonably freindly. If, on the other hand you are travelling independently then do yourselves a favour and book somewhere else in Moshi!

• Stayed January 2008
3 Thank travellingwilbury82

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
austin
Reviewed 16 December 2007

Based on Tripadvisor reviews I decided to stay at Springlands during my trip in November. I can confirm all the previous reviews as still accurate. Yassin and Nelson were beyond helpful and a pleasure to deal with. Staff is very nice and the grounds are extremely well kept. Dinner menu is a bit limited, they serve hot dogs as "sausage" each morning, and the food is average. I will say the fried chicken with french fries was great and I basically ordered that every meal I could. There is a bar that is open late and we had a few cold Kilimanjaro and Tusker beers upon our arrival after 10pm. The bar also had a tomato and cheese sandwich available that was surprisingly good. I lost my safe deposit box key during my climb and they charged me $50 to have the box opened and rekeyed. I didn't think the price was too high and appreciated the fact that the hotel understood that I had a flight out the next morning and got the problem solved quickly. Another thing I appreciated was the thoughtfulness of the shuttle driver that met us at the airport when we arrived. I used my extra luggage capacity to ferry over toys and clothes for an orphanage in Arusha. Unfortunately, Arusha is 1.5 away from Moshi and I wasn't going to be able to take the stuff over myself. I mentioned this to the Springlands shuttle driver that met our party at the airport and he helped us get the bags onto a shuttle bound for a hotel in Arusha. This simple courtesy by the Springlands driver and the driver of the Impala Hotel shuttle to Arusha kept the orphanage from having to send a driver to Moshi to pick the bags up.

• Stayed November 2007
1 Thank GoDiegoGo
USA
Reviewed 1 October 2007

We stayed at Springlands as part of our trek up Kilimanjaro with Zara. The grounds were neat and attractive, and the rooms were clean, modern, and comfortable, with large fans and individual hot water heaters. I was especially impressed by the kind, helpful, and efficient staff, who went out of their way to make sure we were happy during our brief stay.

The hotel offers individual safes in a securely locked room for storing valuables and a locked storage room for storing luggage during your climb or safari. They also have surprisingly nice equipment available for rent. We were very pleased with the quality of the sleeping bags and trekking poles we rented.

We were a little disappointed that the pool closed so early since we were looking forward to a swim after our climb. Note also that the meals are buffet-style and will probably remind you of the food on your climb, which might not be a good thing. In spite of these minor problems, we were delighted with our experience at Springlands and with Zara.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travel13478
East Vancouver
Reviewed 17 September 2007

This is definitely a base camp for Kilimanjaro hikes or safarai. For a smaller city in Tanzania it is pretty good. There is a pool and decent beer available. Nelson (at the front desk in the morning) is very, very helpful. The food was average. If you are looking to take a trip into Moshi ask for "Ebe" to take you around. He is a dude and a wonderful guide. Ask him to take you for bananna beer - local drink is best!

• Liked — Gets you on your safari or hike with no fuss!
  • Disliked — The Muslim call to prayer at 5am.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mdeighan
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 16 September 2007

This is the central for Zara tours. This is where every one has to transit for Kili or safari.

The staff is very nice and helpful, Yassin and Nelson are the 2 "can do" guys. The grounds are nice. Everything is charged to the room and so there is no need for cash. The end bill can be paid in any currency pretty much. The gift shop is priced slightly higher but very reasonably compared to the shops in town and there is no need to bargain.

The bathrooms are clean but the rooms are very dirty (there are dustbunnies behind the furniture). Most are quite noisy, and if you have not figured out the red button for a little hot water, your shower will be cold. Bring ear plugs because call for prayer at the local mosque is at 4AM or 5AM.

The food at lunch is limited and not good. Dinner is the same old buffet every night.

The shuttle to town cost $2 round trip. The best seats are all taken by guys who are bumming a ride for free and you are stuck in the back seats even though you are the paying customers.

For the amount of money paid, the room in the US would be a lot nicer. But if your tour is with Zara, you have no choice but to stay here.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank Asian_French_Chick
Wirral, England
Reviewed 16 March 2007

The Springlands is in fact the nerve centre for Zara, who facilitate safaris and kili tours from there ( we did Kili).
Staff were great cheerful and smiley, keen to help.
Staff did help with coach booking anf internal flights this proved to be very useful and cost effective.
Food was slightly disapponting, Pool tremndous, grounds well cared for. Lack of air conditioning a discomfort.
If in the area would go back especially with family as it was safe and secure. Did also travel into Moshi whereby local restarants were very good.

• Liked — was clean
  • Disliked — no air conditioning
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dastardly&Mutlee
Surrey
Reviewed 28 December 2006

The good points are: amazing views, if its not cloudy of course, of Kili; large clean swimming pool; helpful and courteous staff; ready hot water in the bathrooms; spotless rooms, pretty flowerbeds. The bad points are: too far to walk into Moshi and down an unlit dirt track by the railway line; very limited fixed price menu choice at dinner; spartan rooms.

Overall it had an odd feel to it - almost like being in a gated compound yet clean and reasonably priced.

It appears to be the HQ of one of the regions largest tour companies - Zara Travel - so no difficulty with booking Kili climbs / safaris / etc. They also hire hiking kit but it is very old & well used and overpriced.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wizzer&chips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moshi
Mountain Inn
#4 of 16 in Moshi
Sal Salinero Hotel
Sal Salinero Hotel
#11 of 16 in Moshi

Been to Springlands Hotel? Share your experiences!