I have being coming to Tanzania, and Moshi in Particular, for almost a decade and I think I have probably stayed in every hotel in this town during that time. When a friend told me about the springlands I decided to move from my room at the Keys Hotel and try the springlands out. After two days I moved back to the keys hotel. Why? Three deciding factors:
- Location: Who decided to build a hotel next to the slums on the wrong side of the tracks? Obviously land is cheaper there but if you have no transport (thankfully I had my own car) then it really is a long walk into town and it's not safe to walk back to the springlands in the dark. Even with a car the hotel was hard to find and meant that having a couple of beers in town required a taxi ride back.
- Price: HOW MUCH???? I felt that the rooms were really, really poor value considering the other options in Moshi. I expect that they advertise high 'rack rates' as most guests have prepaid their accomodation through a tour company but this means that if you are not with a tour company then you're paying well over the odds, especially as the prices are virtually non-negotiable.
- Atmosphere: In Moshi the best description of the atmosphere in most hotels is probably 'somnolent' and this certainly applies to The Springlands. I'm not saying that I expect the place to be jumping when I arrive but the Springlands was mostly empty and is certainly not the place to meet people.
Anyway, if you're looking at this review 'cause your tour company is going to be putting you up at the Springlands then don't worry - it's safe, clean and the staff are reasonably freindly. If, on the other hand you are travelling independently then do yourselves a favour and book somewhere else in Moshi!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Springlands Hotel, located on the Southern slopes of Kilimanjaro near Moshi in Tanzania, is the ideal base for mountain walking trips and safaris to Kilimanjaro and all Northern Tanzanian National Parks. Our hotel offers excellent value and high quality at competitive rates. It has a large swimming pool, an airy dining area set in pleasant gardens, and indoor and outdoor bars. The rooms have spacious en-suite facilities with showers, mosquito netting, and fans. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Springlands Hotel Moshi, Tanzania - Kilimanjaro