“Kili Climb Stay”
Review of Springlands Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Springlands Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The hotel itself was very nice but there are a couple of things you need to consider.

We had booked for 2 nights prior to our climb and 1 night after. When we arrived at the airport we were told that there had been some trouble with the rooms which was being dealt with so we had to stay at a more central hotel for the night before being transferred. As we discovered afterwards the only trouble was that the hotel had let out a number of rooms to government bureaucrats who obviously took precedence over tourists.

When we got to the hotel it was far better than the one we had been in previously, howver it was some way out of town. The hotel has a shuttle which should run every 30 mins to drop off and pick up in town. This ran very haphazardly so you should understand that you may well have to walk back or wait an extensive amount of time for your return journey.

Staff were very polite and attentive, however everything is done to "Tanzanian time" so don't expect prompt service or you will be disappointed. The hotel, whilst being a haven of tranquility itself, is in a very poor area and has a large wall and metal gates to keep out the locals. If you do go out, although friendly, the locals do pester you and this can become timresome.

The hotel was very clean and we had no problems with our rooms. The food was of a good standard but you do tend to pay top price for using, what appears to be, the best hotel in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 October 2012

I love Springlands. I recently spent 8-9 nights there. I was traveling by myself and climbed Kilimanjaro with Zara Tours. I was totally comfortable at the hotel. The staff was excellent, they knew my name and were so pleasant.

I had a tour of Moshi with one of the staff which was great. I could have walked Moshi by myself but it was more insightlful and gave me a better opportunity to see the markets, etc where I would have maybe not gone alone.

Penny in reservations was great, Jesica give a wonderful massage. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I will say ask for a garden room. The first room I had was noisy it was near the garden bar.
1  Thank locogringocom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The motel is clean and nice. You cannot ask for better service. There is only one issue that I ran into and that is that all of the rooms are double rooms, meaning that you have a chance of sharing a room with someone else. I usually don't have an issue with that, but if you snore, that can suck. Also, room 74 sucks! It is right beside the bar and you can hear the people late into the night. I didn't have a problem because I was taking Lunesta at the time. Other than that, I highly recommend the motel.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Our first night in Tanzania. Four stars for value. We had a basic room for one night which is all that we paid for.The room was a small room with twin bed’s and a 50’s era highway motel bathroom. There were mosquito nets but one had open holes. The holes in mine were taped up. We originally didn’t use the nets but after a mosquito buzzed my ear I put them out. We killed the mosquito and it turned out to be the only one we saw all week. It's head is mounted above our fireplace at home. We did sleep through most of the night, but it was a noisy place; Hot water heater sounded like a boiler when heating (we were supposed to turn it off), a phone rang in the middle of the night, the walls stopped no noise, and the guy in the next room was snoring loudly. At 5:00am the calls to prayer started and did not stop for an hour and a half. A rooster was crowing in the distance, but he was drown out by the Koranic recitations. Somebody next door had a “knock loudly on the door” wake up call at 6:00am. We got up at 6:10am and went to breakfast at 6:30. Breakfast was good. On to Arusha . . . . .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is a nice, clean basic hotel. I booked 2 climbs with Zara tours, which operates the hotel. My climbs, guides, porters surpassed expectations and I had the best time of my life.

Room & bathroom were clean, had hot water with decent pressure and a shower that drained well, comfortable bed. Breakfasts were the same each day and there was always tons of fresh fruit. Dinner buffets at $10 were a bit pricey, the food was decent, the desserts a hit or miss. It's a bit out of town but you can take the hotel-run van for $2 return into the city, not sure what the latest time it runs.

Just make sure when you pay your bill at check out you double check your receipts because they tend to do "funny math." This happened to me and a number of others. They tend to round up or add a dollar or two to your bill, then shortchange you another dollar or two. It's such a small amount to fret over, but it's just wrong if they do that consistently to their guests.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed at the Springlands Hotel with a G Adventures tour this past week.
I had paid for a single room with my tour, and was much happier with my room on the return from the trek than my arrival room (twin beds in the first room, and 3/4 beds in the second room, and the second room in a quieter area near the front of the hotel). However, in both cases, the room was clean, there was hot water (if you turned on the switch for the hot water heater), and I found the beds comfortable.
There are mosquito nets around each bed which proved useful as the mosquitoes come out as soon as the sun goes down.
The free Wifi didn't work in the rooms, but worked well enough (though slow and disconnected regularly) in the area by the gift shop and near the bar.
Transfer to the airport on departure was good but I was sitting there waiting and the staff didn't let me know the driver had arrived. It was only when I asked when it was coming (15 minutes after scheduled time) that he told me it was one of the cars already there.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Location seemed a little bit out of the way, but they do have shuttles into Moshi (about 10 minute drive).
Included breakfast was great with a lot of fresh fruit and many options (including eggs to order). Dinner was good too (at $10) with some healthy options.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

The main thing to say about Springlands hotel is that it is Zara tours' staging point for all its safaris and kilimangaro climbs, as such it is very busy and noisy with people coming and going all day. On our first night (before the safari) we were placed in a rather small slightly dingy room which backed onto the main courtyard (therefore very noisy!), however, on the way back our room was significantly nicer with much bigger beds- i don't know if it would have been possible, but had I realised I would definitely have asked for one of the rooms on the right of the main entrance as you go in!
Otherwise the hotel served its purpose well. Rooms were clean and staff were friendly. There was a pool with sunloungers, and at night the courtyard was pleasantly lit so you could sit and enjoy a kilimangaro beer! The hotel offers a taxi service into Moshi for $1 each way, and there is free wifi at the reception area. Breakfast was very reasonable- a buffet, with the usual toast, sausages etc and eggs cooked to your specification.
I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel for people travelling independently as it is very busy, with people/ minibuses coming and going all day, and pre/post trip meeting happening in the bar areas, but if you are planning a zara trip it serves its purpose well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the quadrangle to the right of the main entrance
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple