“Marangu made our Kili experience!”
Review of Marangu Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Marangu Hotel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Moshi
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Marangu was truly amazing. We arrived late at night after a long day of flying, we had a car waiting at the airport and a meal waiting in our room for our return. We were leaving to climb kilimanjaro with the Marangu group the next morning so we woke up to a beautiful morning, views of Kili, amazing landscaped property and a great breakfast where you had the choice of types of eggs and lots of fruit and meat and cereals, not to mention great strong coffee. We were briefed by Desmond and he was just great, very informative and encouraging, made us very excited to start the trek. Our group from Marangu could not have been more incredible and made our hike the most memorable and perfect experience (my boyfriend and I are in our late 20's and from Canada). Our guide Joseph and asssitant guide Santorine, as well as our chef Frank and all of the other members of our group were so welcoming and supportive. I became very sick on the day of the summit (of course) and Joseph and Santorine were my rocks, they helped carry my bag, kept pushing me a long but with a watchful eye and knew that I could make it. Joseph literally dragged me down the mountain when I did not think I could go any further. The whole crew was so experienced (Joseph has climbed kili over 200 times!!) and they truly were the reason we had success and a great time doing it. All of our porters were so nice and friendly, always cheering us on. Our waiter was the sweetest thing and always woke us up with a smile. The food at the hotel and on the climb was top notch!!! On the climb we always had so much variety with fresh fruits, vegetables, soups, meats..the whole balance you needed, we definitely never went hungry. Upon return back to the hotel it was so nice to relax outside in the beautiful bar with our crew and actual be able to take in the beauty of the property for a day. I would go back in an instant for the hotel and the crew!!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brittany G

Reviewed 19 April 2013

This, without doubt, is my favourite hotel in the whole world. It somehow has an atmosphere that is so relaxing that its impossible not to feel good there. The staff are attentive and beautifully mannered. Kilimanjaro can be seen from various parts of the hotel including the swimming pool where you can stare at it whilst swimming a length of the pool!
The food is very nice and the place is staffed by all local people though I believe the present owners' family has been there since the 1950s. Much of the food is grown on site and is I suppose, organic, though I've not seen that claimed. You can pick and eat mangos from the trees!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have stayed at Marangu hotel three times and have enjoyed every minute of the time I have spent there. Twice I climbed Kili with 20 students and one stay was with my family. From celebrating having a drink on the beautiful lawn/gardens looking up at Kili with the guides, porters, cooks and support staff after a successful climb to a quiet night with the family enjoying dinner the Marangu hotel leaves positives memories.
The owners of this hotel have a vested interested in supporting the local community and are not after a quick $$$$. They are actively involved in the Kilimanjaro porters association and work with an experienced and knowledgable team. On both trips up the mountain (i am a teacher who twice climbed with 20 teenagers) I always felt in very safe hands. Both trips resulted in 19 of the students summiting which is an excellent indicator of the professional team leading us.
Spend some time at this hotel and you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the lawn with a view of Kili from the balcony
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jarrodd1
Reviewed 25 March 2013

When I think of Marangu, I think of a beautiful garden, lush and colourful and peaceful with all the flower bushes, and the most amazing views of Kilimanjaro. The bungalows are spread out in the garden and from the front ones, one gets the Kili views. The rooms have been renovated , but, thankfully, the exterior has been kept the same, so the hotel retains it's old world charm. It still has that wonderful feeling of hotels in East Africa in the 50's and 60's - I was born in Kenya and I miss that feeling nowdays so much.
The rates are half board and the evening food is always good.
The hotel is situated near the Marangu Gate for those wanting to climb the mountain and the the owners are experts on arranging such climbs.
When we stayed there in 2011, the mountain was always covered by clouds , but, in February, this year, we were treated to the most amzing sunset and sunrise view. Specially the sunset...the snows on Kibo peak changed from white to pink in the changing light and at one point the sky was all pink and so was the peak. Glorious!!! One has this view from the bedroom window. What a blessing!

Room Tip: The front bungalows have the best views of Kilimanjaro...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2013

You say Kilimanjaro I say Marangu hotel. The grounds are tranquil and tropical with great views of the mountain, rooms clean and comfortable and food good but it was the staff that made our 2 night stay at the hotel and 6 night Kili climb so memorable. From Desmond who runs the hotel down to Dora who will lend you (free of charge) anything you may have forgotten for the mountain from the well-stocked kit-room everyone was so warm, friendly and professional. I have never felt compelled to submit a trip advisor review until now but this place deserves it. All 3 of our all-girl group made it to the top - not achievable without our kind and intelligent guide Steve and his team of helpful and charismatic assistants, porters and cook. I felt in very safe hands. What got me down the mountain so quickly was the prospect of a night's sleep at the Marangu Hotel when I got to the bottom.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a view of the mountain
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2013

after shopping for other outfitters who do the climb.....there was something about the way desmond dealt with clients that made you feel very comfortable and at ease and i decided to go with him........the hotel is top notch and all our needs were met...he even took care of booking out flight from killi to dar es salaam...........the climb up killi was well organized with top notch quides.....we went up the rongai route and it was as i had expected it to be......my experience was epic..even though summit night was the hardest thing i have ever done.....looking back it was amazing...........i did it with my son and we both summited.....after coming down to the hotel we were very comfortable..........spacious rooms, great food and beautiful grounds to meditate or do yoga.......if you are planning to go to tanzanai staying at the marangu hotel should be your first choice.........bon voyage......

Room Tip: rooms 25 27 are amazing as you have a great view of killimanjaro
Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Not only is it a nice hotel, but its climbing arrangements are fantastic. We had a group of 11 of us who all safely reached the summit of Kilimanjaro, thanks in large part to the organization of Marangu. Desmond gave us a 2-hour briefing before our climb and I recited many of his words on my way up the mountain. They treat their porters very well, which cannot be said for many other organizations out there offering treks up the mountain. Do your research before contracting with a climbing outfitter. Or just use the Marangu.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are in the rear cottages.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends