“Great Hotel & Staff on Beautiful Estate”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Marangu Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Moshi
Marangu Hotel
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Moshi
“Great Hotel & Staff on Beautiful Estate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

We arrived late, but the staff made the necessary preparations to have it waiting for us in our room...and it was even still warm.

This is the kind of superb treatment (and food) you get at Marangu.

The hotel situated on an old coffee plantation is located very close to the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro. The grounds are well kept and pleasant to walk around on.

Extra points to Marangu for the most delicious coffee we had during our 2 week Tanzanian adventure.

The room we had was basic, but comfortable and clean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Raverpoke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I was recommended the Marangu Hotel by a school in Dar Es Salaam who use them for their annual Kilimanjaro climb with students. I could not have been happier. I arranged my trip at very short notice and Desmond was super helpful. He slotted me into a group of other solo travelers for a very competitive price. Dora looked over my gear and provided me with things I was missing such as sleeping bag, warm jacket and extra water bottles. Seamus gave an excellent briefing on the climb and the guides were very patient and took great care to make our ascent slow and successful. The fact that the guides have all worked for the hotel for a very long time shows they are well looked after and during my stay they were running a first aid course for their staff. The hotel itself is a wonderful place to be, even if you are not climbing. It was so much history and the setting is beautiful and the food very good. I loved the bar and met some super interesting people there. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Karen N
Amherst, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

I've now used the Marangu Hotel as "base camp" for two Kilimanjaro ascents, once in 2007 and again in May of this year. They are a real gem. The hotel is warm and cozy in its own right and includes on site both a good restaurant and a great bar. The rooms are spacious and clean and everyone on staff friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Marangu also staffed and outfitted both of our 12 person Kilimanjaro climbing groups. They did a superb job for us in 2007 and exceeded all expectations in 2013. Tents had been upgraded. The food furnished on the mountain had become more sophisticated (it had always been plentiful) and the guides and porters (some the same for both climbs) were a great help in our achieving our goal. The pre-climb briefing was more than helpful in describing what we would see and experience and in helping us recognize the symptoms of acute mountain sickness and what we should do should they occur. I commend the Marangu Hotel to you for a casual stay in the Moshi area or as a support mechanism for climbing to the Roof of Africa.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the summit of Kilimanjaro. You might ask for one of these, though the mountain can...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kerry S
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

We stayed here in March 2013. The room was all we needed and the view of Kilimanjaro from our porch was stunning. The food was fine, but not exceptional, and the staff were delightfully friendly and helpful. Our walking guide, Philias [organized by the hotel], walked us to a standstill. His knowledge, grace and wisdom were exceptional. One highlight was the hotel's thick tangy breakfast marmalade; it's world traveling to Tanzania for that alone.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

Marangu was truly amazing. We arrived late at night after a long day of flying, we had a car waiting at the airport and a meal waiting in our room for our return. We were leaving to climb kilimanjaro with the Marangu group the next morning so we woke up to a beautiful morning, views of Kili, amazing landscaped property and a great breakfast where you had the choice of types of eggs and lots of fruit and meat and cereals, not to mention great strong coffee. We were briefed by Desmond and he was just great, very informative and encouraging, made us very excited to start the trek. Our group from Marangu could not have been more incredible and made our hike the most memorable and perfect experience (my boyfriend and I are in our late 20's and from Canada). Our guide Joseph and asssitant guide Santorine, as well as our chef Frank and all of the other members of our group were so welcoming and supportive. I became very sick on the day of the summit (of course) and Joseph and Santorine were my rocks, they helped carry my bag, kept pushing me a long but with a watchful eye and knew that I could make it. Joseph literally dragged me down the mountain when I did not think I could go any further. The whole crew was so experienced (Joseph has climbed kili over 200 times!!) and they truly were the reason we had success and a great time doing it. All of our porters were so nice and friendly, always cheering us on. Our waiter was the sweetest thing and always woke us up with a smile. The food at the hotel and on the climb was top notch!!! On the climb we always had so much variety with fresh fruits, vegetables, soups, meats..the whole balance you needed, we definitely never went hungry. Upon return back to the hotel it was so nice to relax outside in the beautiful bar with our crew and actual be able to take in the beauty of the property for a day. I would go back in an instant for the hotel and the crew!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brittany G
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

This, without doubt, is my favourite hotel in the whole world. It somehow has an atmosphere that is so relaxing that its impossible not to feel good there. The staff are attentive and beautifully mannered. Kilimanjaro can be seen from various parts of the hotel including the swimming pool where you can stare at it whilst swimming a length of the pool!
The food is very nice and the place is staffed by all local people though I believe the present owners' family has been there since the 1950s. Much of the food is grown on site and is I suppose, organic, though I've not seen that claimed. You can pick and eat mangos from the trees!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

I have stayed at Marangu hotel three times and have enjoyed every minute of the time I have spent there. Twice I climbed Kili with 20 students and one stay was with my family. From celebrating having a drink on the beautiful lawn/gardens looking up at Kili with the guides, porters, cooks and support staff after a successful climb to a quiet night with the family enjoying dinner the Marangu hotel leaves positives memories.
The owners of this hotel have a vested interested in supporting the local community and are not after a quick $$$$. They are actively involved in the Kilimanjaro porters association and work with an experienced and knowledgable team. On both trips up the mountain (i am a teacher who twice climbed with 20 teenagers) I always felt in very safe hands. Both trips resulted in 19 of the students summiting which is an excellent indicator of the professional team leading us.
Spend some time at this hotel and you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the lawn with a view of Kili from the balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family