“rustic and special”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge
Reviewed 8 April 2014

At first glance, I wasn't quite sure of this lodge. It grew on us and we were sad to leave after the second night. Two things were very special about this place: 1)The food was very good. 2)The animals were within arms distance of the lodge. Outside our back patio were 60 cape buffalo one early evening. It was spectacular to be sitting in a chair looking out at wildlife. SOOOO much fun. The downside is that the beds were big but pretty darn firm. The walls were very thin so we could hear our neighbors clearly. Basic and unique. Good to mix in with upgraded accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cutiepiefromSD
There are newer reviews for Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge

Reviewed 31 March 2014

2nd time here.extremely well located. Highlight was seeing a Bush Pig after dinner just off the deck. The view and proximity are far more appealing than lodges w crater views where I've stayed several times as animals come around here especially at night and usually one is gone all day. Food is very flavourful. Rooms are basic with a lovely wood burning stove as its quite cool at night.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Look if your looking for the Holiday Inn Nogorongoro you shouldn't stay here. This place is awesome rustic. From the room fireplaces to the huge fireplace in the resturant you will feel like you are on a Safari. The showers are hot if you don't waste alot of water and the rooms well a little chilly untill they lite your fire place which will be warm until you get to sleep then prepare to be chilly again in the morning. The Lodge fireplace is a great place to meet fellow travelers and have a evening beer. You may even see some wildlife at night as we saw some water buffalo. Easy place to kick back and enjoy your life with a coffee or beer while just relaxing with your family.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from large families as they use alot of the shared hot water
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed at the Rhino Lodge on March 6th after leaving the Serengeti National Park in order to be close to the Ngorongoro Crater for the next day's Safari within the Crater. After having a beer or two with my trusted guide and now good friend, Emmason Mshana of Wildbug Adventures, he quickly returned to my room before dinner shouting "Come out here quickly!" I ran out of my room with my camera around my neck to see the largest elephant I had seen during nearly a week in Tanzania right there in the courtyard of the Lodge. The huge elephant was barely 10 feet away from me. He had made his way in to the Lodge feast on one of his favorite trees that was literally just outside of my room. It turned into quite a spectacle with guests staring in awe. And although the hotel staff were as helpless as the surprised guests, they were very professional in the way they managed this unique situation. They warned us extensively about not getting close to the elephant and that we should be ready to run into the public restroom if the elephant were to charge. They attempted to direct the elephant out of the Lodge courtyard but did so respectfully without hurting or really bothering the huge beast. After about an hour of feeding on plants and trees in the courtyard, the elephant left the same way he came. If I had not seen it myself I would not have believed it!

My overall experience at the Rhino Lodge was excellent. It is a good economical choice that is very convenient to the entrance to Ngorongoro Crater. I think we made it down into the Crater within about 30-35 minutes from when we left the Lodge. The accommodations are simple but very comfortable. My room had a nice balcony with views of the trees and mountains in the distance. While I did not see any buffalo as others did, I was satisfied with the close encounter I had with the elephant just outside my door. Although the food is served buffet style, it was quite good as was the service.

I would recommend this Lodge to individuals and families who want to be close to the Crater but who don't require luxurious accommodations or actual views of the Crater.

After making my way

I found the Rhino Lodge to be an excellent choice for an economical stay offering the convenience of being close to the Crater. I stayed

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Scott L
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at Rhino Lodge the night before descending into Ngorongoro Crater. The lodge does not have a view of the crater - which makes it less expensive - but it was close enough for us to get an early start to see the crater. The rooms are nothing special, but don't be surprised if the lush grounds outside your balcony have a herd of buffalo grazing just a few feet away. The food was pretty good - I was sick the next morning but I can't be sure that it was Rhino Lodge's cooking. If you are looking for a home base before going down into the crater and don't need to spend extra for a crater view, I would recommend Rhino Lodge.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge is an economical option and while it has something of a motel feel to it, the rooms are comfortable and the food was good. Both dinner and breakfast were served buffet style. It is about 20 minutes to the crater entrance, and there is not much of a view from the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed here unexpectedly after almost having to sleep in a very basic dirty camp called simba. It was one of the last rooms available and they had one, so we were very happy. Went for dinner, great room with lovely fireplace, warm welcome and conversation with the manager. A lovely stay!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
#9 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Forest Tented Lodge
Ngorongoro Forest Tented Lodge
#20 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Been to Ngorongoro Rhino Lodge? Share your experiences!