“The very best”

andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Crater Lodge is the best hotel we've stayed at in sixty years of travel. It's expensive, but worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. Set on the rim of the crater, with a fantastic view from every room, the Lodge offers the utmost in luxury. The decor is quite original and very beautiful, incorporating African and Western themes in a surprisingly successful blend. Service is exemplary, the food excellent. It's difficult to say exactly how the Lodge is different and better, but the response of all the visitors we talked with was unanimous. Out of this world.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StanleyPalombo

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My friend and I stayed in the lodge in February 2014 during our safari in Ngorongoro. We didn't plan that hotel. It happened accidentally. But that was our lucky chance. The hotel provides you with everything you can imagine. Splendid view of the crater just from an enormous window of your room, huge beds with electrically warmed mattresses, hot bath with different oils, salts and rose petals, wine and chocolate, everything is included and ready for you in the right time. The food is delicious and nicely cooked. The personnel is well trained and ready to help you at any moment. All your wishes are anticipated and realized immediately.
I would like to tell many thanks to all the people working in this lodge for being caring and helpful.
At the same time many thanks to the manageress who delivered a wonderful lecture about the life of the wild animals. I learned a lot, especially about lions' life and the importance of the conservation project.
Two days spent in the lodge seemed for us as a life in paradise.
Sheremetyeva larisa, Moscow, Russia.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed in Serena hotels, a very respectable chain, while in Tanzania. To their credit, because they were overbooked when we got to the Ngorongoro Crater, they put us up in the Crater Lodge.
Well, this place made my demanding wife giddy like a schoolgirl she was so pleased with everything. We travel to deluxe hotels but do not really frequent the truly luxury hotels. Well this one, in the Tanzanian context, is truly a luxury hotel.
It starts with a warm reception by the hotel management, introduction to your ... butler and porter and brief visit to the main lodge where the chandeliered dining room and wood panelled study bring you back 100 years to a British gentlemen's club with its leather sofas. They then accompany you to your hut. The huts are in good taste in a rustic, African décor, almost Hobbit like. Once you step into the room, it is like entering a new universe. Between the huge bed and gigantic cloth head board, wood panelling, fireplace, two vanities, clawed bath and 3 dozen roses over the bath, rain shower, extensive toiletries and oils, complimentary chocolates, peanut brittle and sherry, what more can you ask for?
This is one of the few places with a bath so I ran myself a bath and soaked for a while with my glass of sherry.
We then napped briefly and made our way to the dining room before dark set in. It was beginning to seriously cool off but the dining room had 6 fireplaces blazing around the eight or so tables. The service and meal were excellent. Moyo, our waiter/butler, was always there filling our glasses and our every desire. I actually asked him to stop serving me wine. My son and I had steak and it was tender and tasty, done medium exactly as we requested. My wife and daughter's meal were equally good. After a great dessert, a scotch and great tea, we retreated to our room under armed escort in the dark. Once again, upon entering the room, the atmosphere was impressive. The chandelier was turned on, the drapes were closed and the fireplace was lit. I wallowed in the leather sofa with a very small glass of sherry.
We later settled into bed and the electric blanket was already turned on on my wife's side. The comfortable bed took us right through the night.
The next morning, a gentle wake-up call started the day. Breakfast was served at our table with additional buffet items like fruit, nuts and jam.
Before checking, I inquired about the charges for wine and laundry that our kids had submitted only to learn that these were all included in the room fare. Thank you very much, Mr Serena.
The only things I could possibly have against the Crater lodge is that the low lighting around the sink made shaving a little difficult and the toilet did not flush perfectly the first time. Before writing this review, I had a look at the ratings unfavorable to this hotel. All I have to say is that is that anyone who would put this property down has to be highly critical or be lacking a little perspective on the real world out there.
This is a spectacular resort operating in a very demanding setting. They even cater to children by offering some play archery game.
Appreciate the good and stop looking at the nail sticking out of the woodwork. This is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 432JamesD
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We travelled in October 2013 but have waited until now pen some thoughts about our time with &Beyond; I wanted to see if my opinion would have changed during the months since. No chance of that! In a nutshell it was so disappointing that we had to leave! We wish so much that we could go back tomorrow, even better if we could have stayed forever. What a magical experience we had! I organised this trip for my wife as a special surprise for a mile-stone birthday, coinciding with our wedding anniversary whilst there. &Beyond did not let us down at all. We stayed at both Ngorongoro crater lodge and Bateleur Camp. I could go on forever with all the details, but if you take the time to read many of the favourable TripAdvisor reviews for both these places, you will get the idea. I would only be repeating all the good stuff already said.

The staff at both places is what makes the experience a complete package. Warm, welcoming and genuinely friendly people that will cater to your every need, and then some. We couldn’t ask for more if we had tried. The only negative I have to say is experiencing some other guests treating the staff like a commodity. The wonderful people and colourful characters that you have at these lodges deserve nothing but the highest accolades for having to put up with this kind of behaviour. I take my hat off to you all for being able to brush it off like the dust at the end of a fantastic days’ safari.

Tonya Siebert. What a wonderfully patient, totally awesome person you are. I can’t thank you enough for your assistance in organising our African adventure. I truly hope you will be able to help plan our next adventure in a few years. Yes, we are coming back and have already started saving! Tonya helped me plan this adventure via e-mail almost two years prior to the event. I pestered her with silly questions, and numerous changes to my plans which she took in her stride with utmost professionalism, but also in a way which inferred that she enjoyed the challenge of putting together an experience, not just a holiday. I hope one day to say thank you in person, my wife would also love the chance to say thank you to the person that I was covertly staying up late to correspond with!. I had extensively researched where I wanted to go, and thought I had everything covered, including what to expect. I don’t know how you did it but there were even surprises to be had that I was not aware of!
Regarding Ngorongoro Crater Lodge.
For the record, my wife fell in love with this place. The staff, the roses, that bath tub, the view, the gourmet picnic lunch by the lagoon with the huge elephant, hippos, birds and lion asleep under the tree – magical. Thank you so much Noel (our driver) for sharing your valued knowledge, friendship and sharing your life with us for the brief time that we were there. We both loved that you showed off your little girl to us. Its little things like this that made you feel that you were part of a family. The crater was our first introduction to an African Safari – Wow! Although you can’t get as close (at times) to the animals as other places, we had some wonderful wild life experiences and managed to see all the big 5 in one day, although we had to wait until dinner to be ushered outside on to the balcony to see a huge leopard strolling along the lawn!
Not a day has gone by since returning home that I am told of how much of a fantastic time we both had. We both have memories that will last a lifetime born from genuine hospitality that made us feel like kings and queens. We can’t rate this place high enough.
My tips for travelling, October weather was fantastic but dry. Flamingos in large numbers had left the crater lake a few weeks before we arrived. Although we stayed near to the reception area, I think all the rooms would be excellent for the view. Tree camp was under refurbishment whilst we were there and would be awesome for the views.
I need to clarify the average sleep rating. It is a little difficult to sleep when you have animals (buffalo and elephants) munching on the bushes underneath your bungalow! Unique!!

Room Tip: All provide great views
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark K
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this magnificent place. I have no words to describe how amazing everything was. Joel, our guide, not only was a great professional, but also made us feel like family. The staff is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, and so is the landscape!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ma C
Reviewed 18 February 2014

While on safari, we had the great good luck to stay at The Ngorongoro Crater Lodge! Perched on the rim of the 'living crater', the lodge was the epitome of luxurious living, from start to finish. Upon arrival we were introduced to our butler, our housekeeper and the spa operator, then treated to delightful drinks. Our 'cottage' was outstanding.....fresh flowers, chocolates, double sinks in separate areas, a huge shower between them, the most comfortable bed, superb crater view from our private deck/balcony, small dining room in the 'our' lodge, to accommodate only a few patrons, excellent cuisine! The service was impeccable. Coffee and tea, to be enjoyed on the deck, was delivered at a pre-arranged time each morning. At the end of our first day, when back from a game drive, the butler arrived within 5 minutes with our drinks of choice....the bath tub was filled with warm , flower strewn water. Everything was included in the cost of the stay....all drinks, laundry, long distant phone calls to anywhere in the world. We were tempted to cancel the game drives, in order to enjoy the amenities...but resisted with difficulty!!

Room Tip: ALL rooms are outstanding......
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElizabethAnn151
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Our family of 17 stayed here over Christmas Holiday and loved it! The staff was incredibly attentive and exceeded our expectations. The food, drink and service was to perfection. We were here for Christmas Eve, and they made it so very special. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. Upon returning from dinner, we found a roaring fire in the fireplace and a hot bath drawn with rose petals on the mat. I highly recommend adding this Lodge to your Tanzanian experience. You will be pampered and love it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Gibb's Farm
Gibb's Farm
#2 of 51 in Karatu
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodge
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodg...
#10 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Been to andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge? Share your experiences!