“Unique”

andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in January of this year. The property itself and the setting is truly unique. Set on the rim of the crater the views are amazing. The rooms are uniquely decorated with very cosy with a wonderful fireplace and cute balcony from which to
sit and gaze down into the crater. The one thing that I have never experience in any other place I have stayed was the massive, absolutely beautiful displays of roses of all colours that were placed everwhere. An amazing display beside our bathtub, in the entrance to the main lodge,
on all the dinning tables. The centre of the dinning tables were filled with rose petals as was our bath mat whenever we returned to our room from dinner. Nothing was ever brought to our room without roses. They are apparently grown in Aursha and they gave the Lodge a magic, luxurious feel. The atmosphere in the dinning room was wonderful as were the staff. We had a hot chocolate with liquor brought to our room each night after dinner to have in front of the fire.
It was the end of our 4 week trip to Africa and we had had amazing safari experiences at Londolozi and Singita Ebony in South Africa and Singita Sabora tented camp in Tanzania so we were able to take in our stride the disappointment we felt with the guide we had been assigned at Ngorongoro. We ended up only going down into the crater once and thus have given a very good rating rather than an excellent . However it gave us the opportunity to enjoy and make the most of the Lodge.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank krisd57

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This was our last stop in mid-December 2013 on the AndBeyond circuit of camps. We debated for a long time whether to stay here or not given the expense (knowing that the money saved could be put aside for the next safari). My partner suggested however that if we didn't, we might later regret it. That was confirmed when I saw that you can catch a glimpse of the camp from the main road around the crater. If we had driven by and seen it and not stayed there I would have been hugely disappointed. The view is amazing. Everything else you hear about the lodge is true. The rooms are great and the service is good. The lodge is definitely more formal than those in the Serengeti but then again it is all about the experience of staying on the rim of the crater in a cloud forest. There are cocktails and starters served outside on the deck by a small army of waiters and cooks (only one night) with numerous fires lighting up the area. After 10 days in AndBeyond lodges, my partner and I were tired of eating their mostly very healthy and sometimes elaborate food so for three days in a row we asked for hamburgers and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch (along with fries and simple salads). We stayed in North Camp and requested a room close to the main lodge. We were given #22 which is literally just off the main deck in front of the dining room. The room was still very private but also allowed us easy access to the main lodge. The only suggestion I have is to add some exercise equipment--two treadmills and two ellipticals would suffice. Numerous guests mentioned this to me. Given the expense of staying here, having the option to exercise in a room with a jaw-dropping view doesn't seem like too much to ask. After 10 days of safari we found the game drives in the crater to be rather soft so the one long drive we did here here was more about witnessing the changing geography. On our last morning instead of doing another descent, we opted to visit Oldupai gorge. It was worth the trip plus you experience the drive down from the Ngorongoro Highlands to the flat plains of the Serengeti.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marseus
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Crater Lodge was one of the best experience I have ever had from the wonderful staff to the accomodations. The staff went out of their way to make it a magical experience. The rooms were spectacular. I would go back in a heartbeat. I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Crater Lodge is a beautiful lodge situated on the rim of the Ngorongoro Crater. The views from the rooms are wonderful and only surpassed by the amazing layout of each of the "over the top" rooms. The rooms provide every conceivable luxury to allow guests to relax in the privacy of their own suite. The wonderful bath with views over the Crater and the fireplace were my favourite places to relax after a day on safari.
The staff are absolutely brilliant and only contribute to the wonderful ambience of the lodge. My safari guide Henry was really fun and was delightful company during one of the evenings he joined me for dinner. I was very happy that Henry convinced the other two guests that were in the vehicle to wake up early for our one full day in the Crater. This meant that we were the first people in the Crater and happened to come across a lioness looking for food. A wonderful way to start the day. This is definitely worth getting up extra early for. The drive into and out of the Crater is long but this is a once in a lifetime experience.
My preference is tented camps to be closer to nature but staying at Crater Lodge was something I was glad I did to enjoy this amazing place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was planned for the safari experience, but the accomodations and service was over and above anything we expected! The game drives and our Ranger, Aziza, were splendid, seeing the animals and having a trained guy with knowledge to share information made the trip special.
Each day when we returned from a drive our butler, Patrick, had drawn a warm bath surrounded by rose pedals! The food was delicious, as were the dining areas.

Room Tip: All the suites are the same but get one closer to the lodge area
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn1127
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The photos here and elsewhere just can't do this place justice. It is a truly amazing, unique hotel in a magical surrounding. What do one mention separately when all is perfect?

The only one thing I was missing, was that all the time I expected Brad and Angelina to suddenly show up, which never happened! ;-) I leave all the details to other, previous reviewers, even if I can not understand how anyone could not give the highest rating. = If you have the money, go!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in early March. As every one has said it is completely over the top. Incredible views from both the lodge and your room. Rooms are enormous and outrageously decorated. Service is spot on and you will want for nothing. Having said all that we missed the sounds of animals at night that we experienced at the 3 other tented camps we stayed at. I am glad to say we did it but if we go back we will stick to the tented camps to stay closer to nature.

Stayed: March 2014
Ngorongoro Serena Safari Lodge
#6 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
12 mi away
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodge
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodg...
#10 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
#1 of 51 in Karatu
The Manor at Ngorongoro
The Manor at Ngorongoro
#4 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Been to andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge? Share your experiences!