“A wonderful place to stay”

Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We spent two nights here whilst enjoying a fantastic safari into the crater. The service at Sopa Lodge is very inviting with all staff being friendly and more than welcome to assist in any way required. The food is excellent and the view is outstanding.my only small negative is that the mattresses are very very hard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was my second visit of the year. My review for Feb 2013 was very positive. However,
this time, in November 2013, my views have changed. Travelling in a group of 16, including 10 students,we checked in, with all our rooms grouped together, which was ideal and as booked.
About an hour after checking in and unpacking all my clothes etc, I was approached in the middle of my lunch....mid-way through the main course...by two members of staff, who asked me to
move immediately to another room to make way for 'important American guests'. Being British,
I was less than impressed! I decided the best approach was to politely, make it clear, that a)
I would not be prepared to move and b) my lunch was getting cold.
Whilst the stay, lodge, room, food and location, were as good as previously, the incident above, meant that I did not really enjoy my stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms numbered in the 90's if you want a view of the Crater.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian C
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at this Sopa Lodge the first two nights of our safari. The rooms are very large and rather odd but perfecly adequate. We didn't have great views from our two rooms the first night, so we requested and were granted a move the second day. The views were superior, but my advice to future travelers is to enjoy the view from the central area instead, where you can have a drink and snack and people-watch.

The food was good, as was the service. Others have complained about slow food delivery; we didn't have a problem with that. The staff were very friendly and solicitous. They may have been trying for tips, but we cheerfully ignored this and left our tip in the tip box upon our departure.

The location of this lodge can't be beat. We left for our morning game drive at 6 a.m. and felt like we were alone in the crater for quite some time. The number and variety of animals were stunning and the temperature was pleasantly cool.

Room Tip: Rooms closest to the reception area have the best views but you probably won't spend a lot of ti...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Spent the last 2 nights of the tour at this lodge. It's a cool set up - the rooms are like circular little huts. The rooms could have used an update, but the main building and dining room were beautiful. Our first room had an obstructed view - there was a big tree right in front of the window blocking the view of the caldera. Fortunately, we were only in that room one night, as in the middle of the night we woke up to something eating our snacks out of the bag. That's when we found out that there aren't a lot of security guards outside, and the rooms don't have phones. I was afraid it was a monkey, but it turned out to be a mouse or some kind of rodent, and we were moved to another room with a better view closer to the main building the next night. The staff were very helpful, accommodating, and apologetic about the rodent. Despite the rodent, I thought this was a very good lodge.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Beautiful views. Great room. Staff were very attentive. Only problem. MATTRESSES WERE HARD AS ROCK. Not sure why. It really difficult to sleep. That being said the food was amazing and we really loved our two nights and the tour to Ngorongoro.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Carole H
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The room felt a little dated, but it was spacious and clean. The food at the lodge was good. The staff was very pleasant and they even walk you to your room each night just to make sure you get there ok. Wifi is only available in the common area, but the signal was good. The view of the crater is wonderful!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Blabbott
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of Thomas Cook Taste of Tanzania tour. The lodge has a great location on the rim of the crater giving fantastic sunset views. It is also on the road down into the crater giving easy access.
Rooms massive and with nice sun area. Hot water bottles provided with turn down service.
Great food again. The bar area was also nice with open fires.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
The Manor at Ngorongoro
The Manor at Ngorongoro
#4 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodge
Ngorongoro Oldeani Mountain Lodg...
#10 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Lake Ndutu Luxury Tented Lodge
Lake Ndutu Luxury Tented Lodge
#11 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area

Been to Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge? Share your experiences!