Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Highview Hotel(Karatu)
  • Pool
Ngorongoro Wildlife Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
View Hotel
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge(Ngorongoro Conservation Area)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Lake Manyara Wildlife Lodge(Lake Manyara National Park)
1,710 results
All reviewsrocking chairshot watergreat viewcrater rimdining roomtwo double bedsbit datedaccess roadlarge hotelwatch the sunsetpublic areasmorning and eveningdescent roadturn down servicehigh altitudemain buildingreception area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed at this lodge for one night last month on our way to Ngorongoro Crater from the Serengeti. The climate here is too good....just like a hill station with cold nights. And the lodge is perched atop a hill with grand views of the crater. Since it was foggy, we could not savour the scenery, but I can well imagine what it must be.

From the lodge to the crater is barely a 15 minute descent by car. So its a very good location.

The facilities are superb. Lovely large rooms facing the crater, a sit out, swimming pool, and hot water bags at night....some luxury!

They have free wifi, but only in the coffee shop and reception area, and connectivity is not good at all since the lodge has near full occupancy so the bandwidth gets choked.

Food is wonderful, the spread is lavish and they have power backup which is great. We had a problem with our bathroom door, and within minutes there was someone from housekeeping who came across and fixed it.

The rooms have no intercoms. So if you need to make a call, either call the reception from your mobile phone or walk across....that seems to be the only drawback.

I was very impressed with the hotel for providing assistance to walk back to our rooms from the restaurant. There are no lights in that patch, but the hotel staff escorts you with torches all the way post dinner.

I would go back there again for the sheer ambience and location.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and spacious with a nice view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

As far as location is concerned this place has it all. You arrive to breathtaking views of the Ngorongoro crater and sunset from here is spectacular.

Not being a fan of clunky cement constructions I found the lodge and its decor a bit dated. That said, the service and the staff were very good and helpful. The food was alright. The rooms are spread across a distance and I found that it was very difficult for people with disabilities. The ramps were badly planned and and 2 occasions I saw wheelchair users struggle. I also found that not having a intercom in the rooms a big disadvantage. Even much smaller tempted camps we stayed in had them for emergencies.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Of all the places we stayed while on safari last February, this was by far my favorite. I'm not sure where a couple of the other reviewers rooms were located, but ours was not outdated at all. I had heard there was some refurbishing done, so perhaps their rooms had not been gotten to yet.
Anyway, they say you only have one chance to make a first impression, and the Sopa Lodge pulled out all the stops for theirs. Upon entering the main area, we were greeted with happy smiling faces, a warm wet washcloth and cold fresh fruit juice. Small touches that meant so much after a long day in a hot jeep. Check in was friendly and quick, another plus. Our bags were carried to our rooms and as you walk along the path, the view is something close to spectacular. The lodge itself is a architectural wonder built literally on the rim of a collapsed volcano affording the visitor amazing views of the crater floor and the vast number of animals and birds that make the crater their home. The crater itself is about 240 sq. kilometers and could be considered the 8th wonder of the world since its volcano's top collapsed, resulting in the gigantic caldera, the largest un-flooded and unbroken caldera in the world.
BUT, I digress, this review is about the Sopa Lodge. Our room was toward the end on the lower level. Both ours and our friends rooms included two queen beds trimmed with real brick headboards. The African themed furnishings were very cozy and welcoming. The rooms were large with lots of storage and brick trimmed desks and entry ways . It even had a windowed sitting area with two rocking chairs and a small table for early morning coffee, a glass of wine or after dinner drinks while taking in the fantastic view . The bath was also very large with a walk in shower. On cool nights, hot water bottles are delivered and tucked under your bed sheets. Wow...where did you ever experience this kind of service?
The first night we were there they offered a buffet. Good food, but I'm not big on buffets for reasons I won't go into here, but a large variety of food and lots of it. The next two nights a menu was provided and with wait service which was beyond professional. Friendly, but professional. Everything from start to finish was excellent. The waiters were knowledgeable about the food and eager to explain some of the more exotic offerings. There were also local singers and dancers each night who added so much to the whole African experience. They even came to our table to sing Happy Birthday to me in Swahili . It's those simple touches that make memories that last forever.
I have nothing but good memories and would highly recommend the Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge.

Room Tip: You should ask for an upper level room closer to the dining/pool/bar area for better views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank patsjag28
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The view from this place is a-mazing! You seriously cannot beat it, but the hotel itself is SERIOUSLY out of data. The common areas were really nice and I appreciated the afternoon snacks and tea and coffee, but the food was pretty unexciting especially compared to the other places we had stayed on our safari. We stayed one night and were there less than 15 hours so it was doable but overall I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna J
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights and I agree the location can't be beat, the service was also excellent. What is disappointing about this place are the rooms (like a time warp -- think Motel 6 circa 1970). There was also a lot of mold in our shower, which was addressed promptly. The thing that makes this place is 1) the view of the Crater-- like none other 2) the food, which was excellent. If you get cold at night, they will bring extra blankets and hot water bottles for your bed. There was only one tiny window for ventilation. If you want Luxury, try the Manor, but that is down the road at least 1.5 hours.

Room Tip: Request a second floor room with a view of the Crater-- amazing!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends