“Beautiful - Photos don't do it justice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
The Plantation Lodge & Safaris
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I was really surprised to see that some people rated Plantation Lodge as average, when in fact, it's absolutely beautiful! We stayed in Plantation Lodge to do game drives in Tarangire National Park and in Ngorogoro Crater. I was pleasantly surprised when arriving, as the photos don't really do the place justice. I travelled with my husband and mom, and we paid to stay in one room, but when we got there, I guess it wasn't fully booked, because we were given what was called "The Farmhouse" which was two large rooms with bathrooms, plus a large common area. It was roomy and gorgeous. The grounds are lovely and just the whole look and feel of the place is beautiful. The food and service was really good and we were made to feel welcome by everyone. The bar area has a window into the wine cellar and when I commented how nice it was, I was told I could go down and see it, so the bartender gave me a quick tour -really cool. It was hard to believe that there is such a beautiful gem and such lovely greenery in the midst of the rest of the area, which is very dry and dusty. My only regret is that I didn't have time to use the pool! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: The Farmhouse is a wonderful place to stay! Rooms were cool, which was good, because you shouldn...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The room was large and comfortable and the local staff were very friendly and caring. But we were made to feel unwelcome by the manager and family, who never bothered to even greet us. They had a private family party, which filled all but a few guest rooms, occupied the staff to the exclusion of the paying travellers and played loud music til very late, making sleep impossible.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrisdrew
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Renata, Frumence, Maria and Juma,
I can only say Asante sana (thank you) from the bottom of my heart!!! I was in a bind with a safari group and you helped to smooth the way by opening up rooms at short notice. They were lovely luxury as usual and I so appreciate the hospitality you give over and over again. Your lodge is one of the best in food, great beds and rooms, luxury and gorgeous gardens. Free wireless is a plus and the peace and quiet is a lovely break from the rush of cars along dusty roads.

Room Tip: P.S. no fitness center, but you won't need one after the bumpy roads.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I truly regret that I only got to spend one night at Plantation Lodge in between trips to Ngorongoro and Tarangire.

The food - both breakfast and the barbecue for dinner - we're excellent. Great quality and variety and beautifully presented.

And then I had this beautiful suite named Oldupai. The only flaw is that I didn't get to spend a lot of time in it. Look at the pictures on the website. They are a true representation of the space, light and air as well as the luxury and beauty.

More than anything I was impressed by the staff. When they learned that I was traveling on my own, thy invited me to dine at the family table. They were so friendly and I had a lovely evening with them.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Plantation Lodge is a wonderrful hotel located just outside Karatu and about 40 minutes from the Crater rim, the food is amazing, with delightful meals made with home grown ingredients.

The ambiance is a charm, good service and great landscaping and decoration.The rooms where quite big and pretty on the inside and outside.

Even though i barely stayed in the hotel during the day, it was a perfect spot to relax after the tiring safari rides to the crater.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We recently travelled to Tanzania on a photo safari and had the incredible luck to spend a few days at Plantation Lodge near Ngorongoro Crater. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was amazing. There pool area is very nice and the vistas are gorgeous. We were a group of two families, 7 individuals and we were assigned the Garden House! There were four bedrooms with baths off of a huge dining/living area with a great deck. While touring the crater both my 10 year old son and I came down with incredibly bad head colds. The staff graciously brought soup and rolls to the house for our meals and took care of us the next day while the rest of our group went back to the crater. Even with the illnesses, this was one of our best vacations ever!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived covered in the indigenous red dust, filthy, tired and thirsty. We were met with tranquil beautifully manicured grounds and scrumptious welcome drinks and cold towels. As we were being checked in we spied the porters cleaning the dust off our bags which was a little embarrassing!

Our rooms were something else - we had adjoining suites in the coffee house, a little way from the main building but well worth it. There was a well stocked minibar in the dining room of each suite (yes - dining room) and all drinks from these were included as was any laundry that you needed doing (though be aware that due to cultural reasons they will not launder any underwear). The beds were comfy and the view from the private terrace beautiful. The bathroom was huge and the hot shower more than welcome after a very dusty bumpy journey.

The kids went in the pool and reported it to be cold but excellent though my teenage daughter was disgruntled that there were no sunloungers free. I was happy on my lounger on my terrace in my white fluffy gown sipping my cold beer - bliss!

The owners are often around and make the effort to talk to all the guests, they have a couple of dogs which are very well behaved and make it feel all the more like a private home.

The food in the restaurant was excellent, though at times the service was a little random.

Staying here was definitely one of the highlights of our amazing trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family