“Top Banana and Lovely Staff”
Review of Khayam Garden

Khayam Garden
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Nabeul
Reading, United Kingdom
“Top Banana and Lovely Staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just returned from a fortnight at the Khayam Gardens with our two young children. For us, the highlights were a super young entertainer called Banana and some lovely members of staff.

Banana, one of the hotel's entertainers, captivated and entertained our little ones throughout our holiday. He was never too busy to come and talk to us. He taught the children archery, went down the water slides with them, was always on hand to make sure they ate all of their dinner and even stayed with us whilst we waited for the bus to take us to the airport. He is a talented, charming and fantastic entertainer - a shining star of the Khayam Gardens.

In addition, we were looked after by some truly lovely staff at the hotel who went out of their way to make us feel at home and who made us smile. In particular, we would like to thank Hannen, Nassredine, Bechir, Ali, Issam and Lotfi.

We found the food at the hotel to be very good. At times the restaurant could be very busy but the chefs and staff worked very hard to offer a good variety of fresh food.

Aside from this, we do feel that the hotel Management need to address certain areas of the hotel in order to class this as a 4 star hotel. In particular, deep cleaning of the bedrooms, especially the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are worthwhile.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel was lively with lots of different activities for all ages. The water slides were great fun and the animations team were fab. Banana was amazing with the children and mine cried when having to leave him. The hotel was clean, staff were helpful and the waiters love blond haired cuties like mine. Would recommend for a family fun, yet relaxing break. Archery, darts, bowels, kayaking, pool games, gym, water aerobics, volley ball and water polo daily to name just a few activities. Lovely waffles and pancakes and a kids mini disco and kids club daily. The beach is beautiful and you can have a family photo shoot to capture the memories. Lots of trips available and the weather was just gorgeous

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pools are quieter. Lovely see views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank pippa i
Consett
Reviewed 6 August 2014

On first arrival at the hotel everything looked very pleasant. The reception staff seemed nice and amicable. We were taken to our rooms which were clean and tidy with beautiful sea views. The rooms were cleaned every day bedding and towels changed every day also, although the patio doors did not locked properly. The corridors were not the cleanest, some of the fire doors were permanently open, were others could not be opened at all from the inside. The pool area was clean and the surrounding gardens well kept, although it was a battle to get sunbeds, unless you tipped the pool guy every day, or got up at the crack of dawn. Having said that some people who did get up at the crack of dawn still found their towels removed from the beds and the beds given to some other guests. Dining well what can i say, it was like a mad stampede every night, i have never seen people run into a dining area and straight to the food before finding seating, we found this actually very amusing. The waiters seemed to attend to people in a certain order, english visitors being by far the last. I even noticed some guests getting their own drinks during meals. The outside dining area was very pleasant the first time we visited although it did take a long time for the meals to come, i had actually eaten mine completely before my husband and two sons even received theirs, and they had only ordered pizzas. Later in the week we were refused entry to this restaurant, told that they were fully booked, even though you did not have to book, and there was plenty empty tables to be seen, the manager even took the chair away from my husband and placed it back under the table, this did not go down very well. The entertainment staff were nice. On the whole the few staff that were nice did not make up for the obnoxious ones. My only recommendation is make sure that you brush up on your french, because being british in this hotel was most certainly a disadvantage.

Room Tip: Although the rooms all seemed pleasant, i would book a room in another hotel in another country.
3 Thank Consett22
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

First time I have written a review and it's to the testament of great entertainment team at the resort. This is a great resort for a family holiday.

Ok the hotel and rooms are clean but basic and it's 4 stars is about right.

The pools and restaurants all clean and kids all felt safe all round the complex.

The entertainment team were the best thing at the hotel. They made a great effort to keep all the family happy. Banana makes an amazing effort with everyone especially the kids and they still talk about him daily. They also loved kids club with Ola, hamza, Olek and mimou. Thanks for making their holiday special.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Well, where to start? We arrived (eventually after a traumatic trip from the airport, which should have taken 45 minutes to an hour, and actually took over two and a half hours), tired and stressed at just after 2pm. I was travelling with my two children on my own. We were given the key to our room; some garbled instructions about dinner times and then sent on our way. We were given a juice drink on arrival, which was pretty, but not offered any sort of lunch or refreshment, until if asked. I was then informed that the restaurant was open until 2.30, so we had to do a quick turnaround in time to get downstairs again for something to eat.

On first inspection, our room was adequate, we had a great view of the sea and beach, and it looked clean and tidy. I then checked the bathroom. It was pretty standard as bathrooms go, had a walk in shower, including shower curtain, toilet, and basin. I checked the shower, which was grubby with mould and mildew in the corners, the shower curtain was orange across the bottom with mildew, and the drain cover was grimy. I ended up showering in my flip flops as I couldn't bear to put my feet on the floor in there. The cleaners came in on a daily basis but didn't clean round the shower as the grime was there until we left. They replaced bedding daily and towels when we left them out, but the room was not swept or dusted, or disinfected, etc. The hotel corridors were not vacuumed once while I was there. There was a line of grime against the walls, which was fluff filled and grey.

The pool area was clean and tidy, the pool waiter service was adequate and generally, the outside area was pleasant. The children found the slides good fun, and the entertainment staff were positive and friendly.

We found an outside restaurant area, which was pleasant and gave us a lovely view of the beach as we ate. Though the food was generally very nice, unfortunately, the service there was shocking. We were overlooked three times there as French families came in ordered, ate, and left. On one occasion if saw the chef rip up our order and throw it down onto the floor. The waiter who took our order was then so embarrassed he could not make eye contact with us until we started to complain, then he said that service had finished. This was in spite of numerous people approaching the counter and placing orders after ours was thrown in the bin. The second time we went there, we went as a group of seven; the waiter came over, took our drinks order and then came back for our food order. We didn't wait very long for our food to come, but it came through in dribs and drabs, the first people to be served had finished before the next three lunches arrived. In total we had six lunches delivered and then waited for my son's to be delivered. It took three trips to the restaurant manager and an hour and a half for a burger to appear for my son. Everyone else had finished eating by then and then the younger members of the party had disappeared.

In my opinion, we, as British holidaymakers, were very much treated as second class citizens to the French travellers that were there. So much so that the outside restaurant was only open the French tourists and their travel company of a night. We were told that we could not visit the outside restaurant as it was not "open". The other restaurant in the hotel was an "a la Carte" restaurant, which you were allowed to use once per week of your stay. We could not book this restaurant as it was fully booked the week we were there, and not open on a Monday. As far as we could see the food was cooked in the main restaurant and then "trollied" across to the A la carte restaurant for the guests who had booked a table.

On leaving the hotel, our pick up was 6.10am. There was no offer made of a breakfast or any packed breakfast we could take with us. The restaurant opens at 6am, which gave us exactly seven minutes to get into the restaurant, pick up breakfast, and then eat it before the shuttle arrived to pick us up. We made it out of the restaurant at 6.07am and the pick-up was already waiting.

There is a lot of potential in this hotel, it's a shame it's not used to it's full. The staff need to remember that not only French customers go there and perhaps concentrate a little bit more on ALL the guests in the hotel, not just the majority. This has completely spoiled my trip to Tunisia and I will not be booking to go back in a hurry.

If you should contemplate going to this hotel, look out for Ali. He sells trips around Tunisia, boat trips, quad bikes, that sort of thing. We went on the Pirate Adventure, which was brilliant. He charges at least 50% less than the travel companies and although you don't get the luxury coach travel there, you are still on the boat with the people who booked through their rep. There is a BBQ lunch on the boat, a show, and if you're lucky you get to see wild dolphins. It was a great trip.

Special mention to Fethi, my favourite pool waiter, who was polite, friendly, and seemed to actually care about the customers.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view or pool view. The rooms at the back of the hotel look out on to the entertainmen...
3 Thank Looby-C2014
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just got back from a 2 week break from this hotel . what can I say, this is by far the best holiday we have ever had. Hotel was fantastic, clean, had a great pool and beach view. The atmosphere is really chilled which is nice, staff are friendly, apart from the looky frenxh entertainment team, they just dont talk to you, also the French have their own private entertainment nights which your not allowed to go to. Food was great, plenty of choice. The animation team were okay, some seemed more interested in talking to young single girls if you know what I mean! the best thing about this hotel is banana who is part of the entertainment team, he is genuinely a great guy who has time for both adults and children. My 2 boys absolutely loved him. He has a gift that makes them feel really special. My 3 year old is quite shy but he warmed to banana really quickly. He even came to waive us off which was really nice, my 6 year old even shed a tear as he didn't want to leave him. Banana 100% made our holiday special, both my boys cant wait to come back next year to see him. Banana is a real credit to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lynztez
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 week break from this hotel. What can I say, this was by far the best holiday we have had as a family. Hotel was fantastic, clean, had a great view of the pool and beach. The atmosphere was nice and chilled which was great. Food was good, lots to choose from. The only negative was the 'look' french entertainment team, they just don't talk to you, they also have their own private entertainment nights which your not allowed to go to. The hotel animation team were okay but I found some were more interested in talking to single females, if you know what I mean...but the best thing about this hotel is banana who is part of the animation team. He is genuinely a great guy who had time for both adults and children, my 2 boys absolutely loved him. He has a gift that makes them feel really special. My youngest is quite shy, but he warmed to banana really quickly. He also came to waive us off which was really nice, my 6 year old even shed a tear as he didn't want to leave him. Banana 100% made our holiday special, both my boys can't wait to go back and see him next year. What a credit banana is to this hotel.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Terry W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nabeul
Byzance Hotel
#3 of 6 in Nabeul
La Badira
La Badira
#3 of 118 in Hammamet

Been to Khayam Garden? Share your experiences!