“Good value hotel in Guiyang”

GreenTree Inn Guiyang Xiaoshizi Business Hotel
Ranked #151 of 647 Hotels in Guiyang
Sydney
“Good value hotel in Guiyang”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Although they spoke no English in this hotel (as with this whole area of China) staff went out of their way to assist us in finding a guide for our day tour to Kaili. Rooms were small but comfortable and clean with good showers in clean bathrooms. Location was central with plenty of restaurants nearby. This is a typical Chinese hotel, not upmarket but good value and a good base.

Room Tip: Request non smoking floor
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sueonholiday

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Sf Bay Area
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I used to have a policy never to stay at a hotel overseas that doesn't have any English language reviews on tripadvisor. I foolishly violated that policy for this hotel, and regretted it badly. So much is wrong with this place, starting with the fact that the pictures on their website are absolutely nothing like the room I was put in. I arrived on a late night flight out of Shanghai with a reservation for 2 nights. The front desk staff spoke just about no English other than the word "money". After a lot of hand gestures, I figured out that they wanted me to provide a 100Y deposit (I assume for mini-bar like stuff in the room). But when I wanted to put it on my creditcard, they seemed to claim that either they didn't accept credit cards, or that their card reader was broken. So I gave them cash, and headed up to my room. This room was quite literally a closet. It was at the end of the hall, in a corner, and it was barely larger than the bed. The bed was hard as a rock (which is pretty standard throughout asia, I'm not holding that against this hotel). Their website claimed internet access in every room, however when I attempted to use it, there was none. So I went to the front desk to attempt to inquire, and eventually I learned that the only place that wifi was provided in the hotel was in the cold, loud, smoky (yes, people smoke everywhere in china) lobby. The bathroom in my room was quite a mess. Hair was stuck to the walls and floors, the grout was moldy, and pealing in places. There was a sign prominently displayed on the front desk with "BREAKFAST" as the only word in English. I foolishly assumed that this meant that the hotel restaurant sold breakfast. However, when I walked in there just before 8AM, most of the lights were turned out, and the staff was sitting on a couch watching what looked like a Chinese soap-opera. When they noticed me, they all jumped up, and scurried around, and seated me in this booth like table, with torn seats, and a stained tablecloth. None of them spoke any English beyond the word "sorry" which they repeated often. They brought me a glass of hot water, and I randomly pointed to an item on a menu that was only in Chinese. I figured, I'd end up getting something that would be edible. After sitting there for nearly 15 minutes, someone came over and started flailing their arms side to side, and took away my water, followed by saying "sorry" about 10 times in a row. I have no clue at all what was wrong, but it seemed like they were not able to serve me any food. Upon returning to the hotel at the end of my first full day, my room key no longer worked. As if this isn't annoying enough, the hotel has only one, very slow elevator. They did manage to get my room key working again. The second (and final night) at the hotel was a disaster. Right around midnight, someone in one of the ajoining rooms decided to throw a party. At least I can only assume it was a party, as there was loud music, lots of clapping and people screaming. This went on until nearly 3AM. I actually went down to the front desk around 1AM hoping to have them do something, but they had no clue what I was saying. Even without the party, the walls are paper thin. I could hear every time anyone did anything around me, from climbing into their bed to using the toilet.

This place is pretty horrid. I guess for $26/night, I got what I paid for. I honestly wouldn't have minded nearly as much had they not fabricated photos of the rooms, promised in-room internet access, and a restaurant that served breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo